ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #3526
Ceemack
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 76
I've suddenly got an issue with my rotary dimmer. I'm fine on low-beam, but when I hit the high-beam switch the LED lights go out.

Any suggestions?
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #3527
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Is that a remote dimmer, or rotary dimmer? I'll be ordering a pair of m64's to add to my model 60's. The m64's will be replacing my model 30's. Would be interested in testing the new dimmer, since the one I have can't handle 4x 2.4 amps.

Also - what is the weight of the M64 versus the model 30 format?

And, if you order a set of the m64's wit ha dimmer, do they come "plug and play"?
M64s are heavy, don't have the weight handy, will post up tomorrow. Yes on the plug n play, will need an approximate length lead you will need as the light come with a 10" lead standard.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3528
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemack View Post
I've suddenly got an issue with my rotary dimmer. I'm fine on low-beam, but when I hit the high-beam switch the LED lights go out.

Any suggestions?
Check connections first. Do the lights go to full power when rotary knob is put on full ouput?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #3529
Ceemack
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 76
Yes, on low-beam they'll go from full brightness to nothing, depending on how the knob is turned. They've worked perfectly until this weekend.

I haven't had a chance to test the wire I've got spliced into high-beam circuit, which in turn is connected to the purple wire on the dimmer. I'm a little puzzled as to why they'd go out completely once the high-beam circuit was activated.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #3530
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,512
Decided on the M62 lights to replace the model 30's. Looks like it will be a decent upgrade for the spots. As usual, put more order in and it was shipped within an hour.
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa - SLOW: 1997 R1100GS
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3531
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Decided on the M62 lights to replace the model 30's. Looks like it will be a decent upgrade for the spots. As usual, put more order in and it was shipped within an hour.
Thanks for your business
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #3532
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceemack View Post
Yes, on low-beam they'll go from full brightness to nothing, depending on how the knob is turned. They've worked perfectly until this weekend.

I haven't had a chance to test the wire I've got spliced into high-beam circuit, which in turn is connected to the purple wire on the dimmer. I'm a little puzzled as to why they'd go out completely once the high-beam circuit was activated.
Great to hear you sorted the issue.

On many dirt oriented bikes, the low beam circuit turns off when the high beam is activated. A diode between the high and low beam positive wires will make for constant power to the lights.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #3533
George 99
Studly Adventurer
 
George 99's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Kingman, Arizona
Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Great to hear you sorted the issue.

On many dirt oriented bikes, the low beam circuit turns off when the high beam is activated. A diode between the high and low beam positive wires will make for constant power to the lights.
I'm gonna need to add a diode to keep the 44 lit when the hi-beam 60 is on as my low-beam dimmer doesn't have the bypass.
__________________
George
Sometimes in Kingman, Arizona
George 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #3534
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
I'm gonna need to add a diode to keep the 44 lit when the hi-beam 60 is on as my low-beam dimmer doesn't have the bypass.
Take a look at the power connector/harness for the dimmer, I think we included it in your setup.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #3535
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 179
Just bought the model 60s

Thanks all for the feedback I have been able to benefit from. Just bought 3 x 60s (one spare) with brackets and dimmers etc.

I hope to have them fitted to my GSA for a ride from Montevideo to Iguassu falls on the border with Argentina. I'll let you know how it works out.

One question, with this setup would a set of spots be a significant improvement for distance. If so what are the options for spots.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #3536
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer
 
JustinP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny Colorado
Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
question, with this setup would a set of spots be a significant improvement for distance. If so what are the options for spots.
I run a set of Model 60's and a set of M62 spots. The spots make a huge difference for long distance light.
__________________
FAST: 2004 non-ABS "Silver Bullet" FJR - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa - SLOW: 1997 R1100GS
Quality LED Lighting - ADV Discount inside:) - LEDRider LED motorcycle lights
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #3537
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light
 
sanjoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mountains of Central Florida:)
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Thanks all for the feedback I have been able to benefit from. Just bought 3 x 60s (one spare) with brackets and dimmers etc.

I hope to have them fitted to my GSA for a ride from Montevideo to Iguassu falls on the border with Argentina. I'll let you know how it works out.

One question, with this setup would a set of spots be a significant improvement for distance. If so what are the options for spots.

cheers dave
Thanks for your business!

Extra xpel for the 3rd light included for free
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #3538
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 179
62s and 60s

Thanks for the feedback Justin, which bike are they on and do you have any photos I could have a look at.

I might buy the spots and replace my std GSA aux lights with the 62s.

cheers dave


Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
I run a set of Model 60's and a set of M62 spots. The spots make a huge difference for long distance light.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #3539
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho, Baja Arizona
Oddometer: 1,017
I want to mount a 60 to my helmet.
Got any helmet mount brackets available ?

Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #3540
Number6
mad as hell
 
Number6's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: the road- currently Mendocino Interior
Oddometer: 30
I was originally interested in the 24W dimmable floods, but kept reading through the few thousand posts here and now suspect they are unavailable. I do a lot of street riding so I want something I can run into oncoming traffic on the low beam and then light up the night on high beam. WOuld 44s and a dimmer be the solution?
__________________
#6
06 DR-Z400s
95 KLR650- Sold
75 CB550K1- Too far away to ride
76 850T-3- Sold

Number6 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 01:23 PM
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014