Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #3541
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Thanks for the feedback Justin, which bike are they on and do you have any photos I could have a look at.

I might buy the spots and replace my std GSA aux lights with the 62s.

cheers dave
Dave - I have them mounted on my FJR, crappy picture below. Yeah, the M62 spots are big and ugly, but that's due to the fact you need a bigger reflector to get a true spot beam from the larger cree chips. I previously ran a set of the model 30's and upgraded to these. I like the M62's better - not only do they have longer range, they throw bright light out farther; less glare in close, more bright light thrown downrange.

JustinP screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 04:06 PM
JustinP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #3542
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
62s

Thanks Justin,

I ordered the 62s yesterday, I might replace the original aux lights on the GSA with them. As you say a bit ugly but no relevance at all for me. I don't like the aerodynamics but also know that the impact will negligible.

I'll end up with 2 x 60s plus 2 x 62s mounted, just under 11,000 lumens ( sounds significant ??) so I hope it'll do the trick.

Have you been able to set the dip position with the 60s such that they are still useful but don't blind oncoming vehicles.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #3543
Bengt Phorks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I want to mount a 60 to my helmet.
Got any helmet mount brackets available ?

Max
You will light up the whole forest with that light. On the other hand, dirt riding at night is a lot of fun.
Are you going to use it for street or dirt? Will it be your only source of light? You will see better if you also use a headlight.
Sanjoh has a bicycle light that may work better and will mount to your helmet.
http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-...met/Detail.bok
Keep in mind that too much light causes high contrast between the lit up area and the shadow areas (they appear black) especially when riding in the dirt. You can blind yourself with the light that is reflected back.
You can also do a google search for other bicycle lights that have more power. I have tried a few and this is the one I am currently using. It produces more of a flood pattern rather than a spot.
http://www.lightmalls.com/solarstorm...-18650-battery.
I tape the helmet light on my helmet with clear plastic tape. I tape the battery on the helmet too. The whole setup weighs less than a pound.
I am using a model 60 LED light with a dimmer for my main headlight.

I use my helmet light for street riding too. It lights up the road better than the headlight because the mounting point is much higher. I find that it's safer riding because you can light up any area of the roadway independent of where the headlight is pointing.
When a car approaches I just point the light towards the ground. Instant dimmer.
Bengt Phorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #3544
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post

Have you been able to set the dip position with the 60s such that they are still useful but don't blind oncoming vehicles.
Both sets of lights are at a level height, not dipped. I use the remote dimmer for both sets. With the low beams they run at 20% or so, then full power with the highbeam switch. The model 60's face straight forward. The spots I have aimed in just a hair, so they cross a few hundred yards out from the bike. Well, the right one is aimed in just hair, and the left one two hairs :). When the spots cross, it's a little off to the right.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #3545
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
60 + 62s

Thanks,
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #3546
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
KLR 650 Mount

Ended up putting the new lights on my commuter KLR instead of the GS. Some mounting pictures that are self explanatory - I started with some angle iron.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #3547
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,874
Nice setup on the KLR!

I like simple
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #3548
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I want to mount a 60 to my helmet.
Got any helmet mount brackets available ?

Max
Not for the Model 60 specifically. We do have one available for our M1 helmet light. I'll include one at no charge if you want to try mounting the M60 on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number6 View Post
I was originally interested in the 24W dimmable floods, but kept reading through the few thousand posts here and now suspect they are unavailable. I do a lot of street riding so I want something I can run into oncoming traffic on the low beam and then light up the night on high beam. WOuld 44s and a dimmer be the solution?
That is one solution, a set of our Model 60s will work wonders as well. We now offer LED controllers (wireless or wired) that provide a dimmable setting (0-100%) and a full power setting triggered by your OEM high beam switch. The controllers have a built in memory so once you find the dimmed setting, no need to adjust them, just turn on the high beams when you need to see.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #3549
Number6
mad as hell

Oddometer: 30
Maybe one 60 in the middle pointed downward and high beam bypass dimmed would be good for road use? Was going with the 44 for more of a traffic friendly option, but with the dimmer I could perhaps get better long distance light with the 60 and still not blind the cagers?

Are there any spots other than the 30? Does it have the longest throw or does the 60 beat it? Are there throw pattern comparisons I might have missed in this abyss of a thread?

Thanks-
06 DR-Z400s
95 KLR650- Sold
75 CB550K1- Too far away to ride
76 850T-3- Sold
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #3550
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Maybe one 60 in the middle pointed downward and high beam bypass dimmed would be good for road use? Was going with the 44 for more of a traffic friendly option, but with the dimmer I could perhaps get better long distance light with the 60 and still not blind the cagers?

Are there any spots other than the 30? Does it have the longest throw or does the 60 beat it? Are there throw pattern comparisons I might have missed in this abyss of a thread?

Thanks-
With the dimmer, you don't need to point the light down.

What type of bike are you putting this on?

Here's a recent "conversion" from the awesome 25watt incandescent to a Model 60. The light is on and dimmed in this pic.

Yamaha TTR250, stock headlight drilled out, Model 60 inserted. Adjustable low beam, full power high beam.

We also have the M61, M62 and M64 spot patterns. M64 by far has the longest throw.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #3551
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Light pattern reference

Tree is at 275'/84m
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #3552
Number6
mad as hell

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
What type of bike are you putting this on?
DRZ400s.

Is there a direct comparison between the 60 and the 62? It is hard to tell which would be better. I think the 62 would look better installed in place of the original headlight like that Yam, the 60 I would probably mount to the headlight guard bottom tab.
like this one:

Really would depend on the better lighting for seeing further ahead for faster safer night riding, as well as exposing shoulder lurking attack deer. One of those and the dimmer be all I need to run it through my high/low beam switches and run it in traffic?
06 DR-Z400s
95 KLR650- Sold
75 CB550K1- Too far away to ride
76 850T-3- Sold
Number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #3553
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Is there a direct comparison between the 60 and the 62?
I have a set of Model 60's and a set of M62's on my bike. The model 60 is a flood, the M62 is a spot. While the model 60 is rated at more lumens, the light does not travel nearly as far as the the M62. Conversely, the M62 doesn't have the side fill (flood pattern) that the model 60 has. I personally think the flood pattern would be better on your type of bike. You might want to consider running a combo, i.e. one model 30 and one model 44/60 etc (spot on the left, flood on the right).
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #3554
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Hey Sanjoh,

Just noticed that the lenses on both of my Model 44's I bought about a month ago have cracked. Any way to get replacement lenses?
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #3555
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
DRZ400s.

Is there a direct comparison between the 60 and the 62? It is hard to tell which would be better. I think the 62 would look better installed in place of the original headlight like that Yam, the 60 I would probably mount to the headlight guard bottom tab.
like this one:

Really would depend on the better lighting for seeing further ahead for faster safer night riding, as well as exposing shoulder lurking attack deer. One of those and the dimmer be all I need to run it through my high/low beam switches and run it in traffic?
No direct comparison other than what you see above.

The setup you suggested appears to have uneccesary weight and complexity.

I would recommend the Dualsport Fairing, it is nearly bulleproof and works wonderfully for all types of riding and a pair of 60s will not have you wanting for more light.