Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #3571
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Here is a schematic I just finished for looking a couple of LED lights, and integrating switches and LED lights into an HDB Top Clamp.

This is just what I needed. A bit complex, as George said, but I think I was able to figure out what I needed from it. Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
SteveO, that's a great diagram. I'm doing similar to my DRZ right now. My diagram is pencil on paper. Did you set up a negative system? (Just kidding. on my diagram, my head lights are on the left. :) )

Your wiring in the next pic looks similar too. Rat's nest! So far, everything works tho.

Max, wiring is just another skill. Either learn how and pay thru the nose. I'm cheap. (Plus, I've worked with low-voltage, house-hold, aircraft and telco wiring since 1965. I don't claim to be a pro at any of it (now retired) but muscle memory seems to get me thru the process.)

SteveO's diagram is good if complex. (Not complicated, there is a big diff.) Just isolate out the part ya need and work from there.

Most relays (which you will want to put in, trigger thru bike wiring and toggle switch; load to the lights direct from a fused lead from the battery) have a diagram right on the side. You'll only use 4 terminals, trigger + and -, load voltage in and out. "Far" side of the lights go direct to ground.

The load requirement on the LED lights is small enuff you could probably get along without a relay, but doing it right the first time is just better.

Hope this helps a little. Keep us posted.
I always learn to work on things instead of paying other people to do them... Because I'd rather spend my money on farkles and fuel! Thanks for the help!

Before I go in and wire it up, I drew up a schematic. How does it look? Particularly, do I have the positive and negative wires from the model 60 in the correct place? Thanks.

I ordered on Friday and my light came in on Monday. FAST! Thanks Sanjoh. I already mounted my model 60 and just hardwired it to the battery to get it aimed. WOW! I thought my model 30s were bright. Holy cow, this thing is great!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #3572
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Before I go in and wire it up, I drew up a schematic. How does it look? Particularly, do I have the positive and negative wires from the model 60 in the correct place? Thanks.
Looks like you missed something.

Do you have a dimmer or lights only?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #3573
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Looks like you missed something.

Do you have a dimmer or lights only?
Lights only. No dimmer. I don't want any switches or dimmers. I want them off when the low beams are on, and I want them at full power when the highs are on. Basically, I want to add this light to my existing high beams.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #3574
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Lights only. No dimmer. I don't want any switches or dimmers. I want them off when the low beams are on, and I want them at full power when the highs are on. Basically, I want to add this light to my existing high beams.
In that case you need 12vdc negative to pin 85 on your relay and it should do just what you want.

The lights are not grounded due to the internal circuitry.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #3575
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
In that case you need 12vdc negative to pin 85 on your relay and it should do just what you want.

The lights are not grounded due to the internal circuitry.
Are you saying that I should keep the wiring the same as in my diagram, but add a negative to pin 85 (in addition to the negative from the model 60)? Or should I ground the negative from the light and then add a negative to pin 85?

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #3576
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 653
I always found this relay diagram helpful:

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm

Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3577
max384
Disgruntled Student

Okay, I got it figured out now. I grounded the pin 85 and negative wire from the accessory lights. Everything's working just right. Now I just need to tidy up the wiring and make it look good.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #3578
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Okay, I got it figured out now. I grounded the pin 85 and negative wire from the accessory lights. Everything's working just right. Now I just need to tidy up the wiring and make it look good.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

We really need to see the lights mounted up, how about a picture?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #3579
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
We really need to see the lights mounted up, how about a picture?
Sure. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

In case anyone else wants to wire their lights like mine, here's the final schematic of how I did it:

Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #3580
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:

In case anyone else wants to wire their lights like mine, here's the final schematic of how I did it:

Be sure you are using thick enough wire (18AWG and below). You won't want to burn up your wiring. You'll need to consider that when on a dirt bike the heat from the bike will add to the heat that the electrons are producing as they are moving through the wiring.

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #3581
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:

Max, your last diagram shows it correctly. All grounds are equal (or should be). You can do an ohms check between your grounding point and the battery ground to make sure yur not dropping tenths of volts. Anyone doing wiring should have a digital multi-meter. I carry a small one with from Radio Shack.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #3582
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Be sure you are using thick enough wire (18AWG and below). You won't want to burn up your wiring. You'll need to consider that when on a dirt bike the heat from the bike will add to the heat that the electrons are producing as they are moving through the wiring.
They're all wired with 18ga wire. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Max, your last diagram shows it correctly. All grounds are equal (or should be). You can do an ohms check between your grounding point and the battery ground to make sure yur not dropping tenths of volts. Anyone doing wiring should have a digital multi-meter. I carry a small one with from Radio Shack.
I wouldn't have been able to do this without a multi-meter. I was pretty sure that I had found the hi beam hot wire, but I needed the multi-meter to check. Then once I had ran all the wires through the bike, I lost track of which one was which, and needed the multi-meter to sort that out.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #3583
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
I use 14 gauge off the battery, 16 gauge to split to various devices, and only use 18 gauge for light-weight loads on the final run (like to my Vapor), 16 gauge to all the lights, horn, my aux 12V plug, etc.

I think 18 gauge is just too small for the long run.

One of the standard fixes on the DRZ 400 is to replace the stock wire from the Regulator/Rectifier output with 14 gauge directly to the battery instead of thru a multi pin connector. Losing the light-weight wire and connector can add close to a volt. Volts mean watts, important on the small alternators on these dual sports.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #3584
max384
Disgruntled Student

Here are some crappy pictures of the lights mounted. The model 60 is mounted to the lower windscreen and is tied in with the hi beams. The two fork-mounted lights are the model 30s. They are controlled with a switch independent of any other lights.

Here is how they look sitting in the pilot's seat:

lows:

lows + model 30s:

hi's + model 30s + model 60:

And how they look from about 30 yards away:

lows:

lows + model 30s:

hi's + model 30s + model 60:

Here are some videos of the lights. Since I don't have a switch that controls just the model 60, I had to remove the fuse to use only the stock hi beams for the demonstration video, so that's why I don't have a video of switching between the hi beams and the hi beams and model 60.

The first video is of the stock hi and lo beams:

The second video is of just the model 30s alternating with the hi and lo beams:

The third video is of the model 30s, the model 60 + hi beams, and the lo beams:

The videos really don't do the lights justice though. Here's a crappy screenshot of just the high beams and the next picture is of hi beams + model 60 + model 30s:

max384 screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 06:25 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #3585
Beast1210
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
anyone know if they discontinued the m62, 2 LED rectangle model. I went to order it and saw it was gone. temporally out.
Beast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote