Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #3961
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Kelly View Post
Any suggestions for a rear upgrade?
I've been impressed with a red led strip light from wal mart. 4", sticky tape on one side, been beat to heck on the TTR250, holding up well.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #3962
enKcee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahamster View Post
I think technically you need a relay so that the dimmer isn't pulling power from the battery constantly. The way I did it was installed a relay switch that was powered by my rear parking light. I just installed a Model 30 and Model 44 a week ago or so and would be happy to walk you through what I did...seemed to work perfectly.
Man, I'd really appreciate that. This project is making me feel like an idiot. I think I about have it, I just need a question or two cleared up.

I ordered two M44s and a wireless dimmer. Just today I went out and bought a 40 amp automotive relay. I also bought some "insulated disconnect pairs" to fit the ends of the relay. I reckon I'll need some ring terminals for the ground and power lines, a bit of extra wire, and another Positap to tap into a powered wire. Or is there a different way to splice into a wire? Oh, and I'll need a fuse too, right? To go from the battery to the relay. What amperage should I use?

Sorry for being such a squid noob. I've never really done any electrical work (or mechanical, for that matter) until I started modding my bike earlier this spring. Some things have been easy, others have been a complete headache.
enKcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 AM   #3963
V8R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
got my m50 / 60 + dimmer package today after it floated around in usps for over a week.. anyway, heres the first pics of them roughly fitted up on my dirty warhorse KLE-500 (its just got home from a snappy 800km trip, 400 at night).

cheers!

V8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #3964
Abrahamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by enKcee View Post
Man, I'd really appreciate that. This project is making me feel like an idiot. I think I about have it, I just need a question or two cleared up.

I ordered two M44s and a wireless dimmer. Just today I went out and bought a 40 amp automotive relay. I also bought some "insulated disconnect pairs" to fit the ends of the relay. I reckon I'll need some ring terminals for the ground and power lines, a bit of extra wire, and another Positap to tap into a powered wire. Or is there a different way to splice into a wire? Oh, and I'll need a fuse too, right? To go from the battery to the relay. What amperage should I use?

Sorry for being such a squid noob. I've never really done any electrical work (or mechanical, for that matter) until I started modding my bike earlier this spring. Some things have been easy, others have been a complete headache.

Look for a pm this morning with some juicy details

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2003 Super Sherpa "Stella"
5 year old Malamute "Abrahamster"
Abrahamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #3965
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 933
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
I've been impressed with a red led strip light from wal mart. 4", sticky tape on one side, been beat to heck on the TTR250, holding up well.
I like the way you think no need for some fancy expensive parts

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #3966
rycomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
EnKcee, if you are "in KC" send me a message and I'd be glad to help. 20 years as a 12v electrical tech. I have all the connectors and relays ect. My full time job often gets in the way, but I can make time.

Ryan
09 WR250R, do these come in any color other than blue?
former rides:98 KLR650, 01 SV650 (another blue bike),89 KLR650, 92 Bandit 400
rycomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #3967
Abrahamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Wanted to share a few more photos of how these guys are mounted on my bike. I have altrider crash bars and used the bar mounts from the ADVMonster site. All of this stuff worked perfectly.

2003 Super Sherpa "Stella"
5 year old Malamute "Abrahamster"
Abrahamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #3968
enKcee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
EnKcee, if you are "in KC" send me a message and I'd be glad to help. 20 years as a 12v electrical tech. I have all the connectors and relays ect. My full time job often gets in the way, but I can make time.

Ryan
Thanks man, but enKcee is just a play on my initials (NKC), haha. If you ever make it to Fayetteville, AR, though, I'll buy you a beer just for the offer. It's nice to know there are good, kind people out there willing to help a perfect stranger.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:27 PM   #3969
enKcee
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrahamster View Post
Look for a pm this morning with some juicy details

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're the man! That beer thing in my previous post applies to you, too.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #3970
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by enKcee View Post
Thanks man, but enKcee is just a play on my initials (NKC), haha. If you ever make it to Fayetteville, AR, though, I'll buy you a beer just for the offer. It's nice to know there are good, kind people out there willing to help a perfect stranger.
There is a reason to be in the Fayetteville, AR area, if you haven't been to SLAP, check it out. Sweet riding in the Ozarks, a great facility, and better yet the folks are second to none

Old 04-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #3971
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
I've finally gotten to the point where I can hook the lights up on my sidecar. I need some help and direction

I have 2 spots and 2 fog lights mounted on the light bar. I'd like the fog lights to come on with the low beam and all 4 lights to come on with the high beam. I have the dimmer which I hope to use to turn the lights off or dim them when I don't need everything on.

is there a simple way to do this? where should I tap into the bike harness? Is the existing headlight relay sufficient or do I need a separate relay (or 2 relays?) for the auxiliary lights? I have replaced the OEM headlight bulb with an LED which draws about half what the original bulb did so I don't think the harness or relay will be overburdened.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #3972
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
I'd like to add some lights to my 350EXC, but I can't think of a good way to do it where they won't get ripped off the first time I hit some single track. Anyone have any experience?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #3973
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Finally got the order placed, 2 M30s (coupon still worked) and a rotary dimmer. Thanks
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #3974
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
I'd like to add some lights to my 350EXC, but I can't think of a good way to do it where they won't get ripped off the first time I hit some single track. Anyone have any experience?
Don't know if this will work for you or not. Other than the mirrors being removed, this is what my 690 looks like.

sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #3975
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Does your 350EXC use DC for the headlight?

If it does, I can plug any of our 55mm diameter lights (Model 30, 44, 50 or 60) into a KTM style fairing/mask, with a dimmer you will have low and high beam using your oem switch. And it will be plug n play with your existing headlight connector.