Any feedback on the F40 combo lights?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 AM   #4127
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcenter View Post
Yes sir, I ride a '77 Honda Trail 90, 6 volts DC.
A friend has a 74 Honda ST-90, also 6 DC.
I would have killed for good lights
on those bikes. I'm sure all the collectors of those old machines
would love to have bright LED lights that draw low current.

Since the LEDs themselves only run off of 3 volts or so, making
a set for 6 volt systems shouldn't be a big problem, right?
(Just guessing. You'd know better than me.)
I was just about to ask the same question, but decided to just do before asking. I used these lights all the way to Argentina and back on a DR650, and have a spare Model 30 and Model 40 lying around.

I bought a 1974 Suzuki TC100 just yesterday and it appeared that the headlight was burnt (or so I thought). Have to have a headlight to be legal, so I tested the Model 30 on a 6v battery charger (it worked) and wired it up to my bike via the battery and a switch. BAM! Success! Legal!

WAY better lighting and WAY more of it. Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! The light is off in the photo, but trust me, it's like night and day when compared to the stock 6v bulb regardless of high beam or not. Just rode it tonight side by side with a 2005 Yamaha Zuma, and there is no comparison.

Slap a couple of these badasses on your bike and never look back. I've got mine mounted to the stock headlight mounting bolt on my TC100.

As I got down the road, my headlight started working as the voltage/battery got up to speed. However, I've got a ADVmonster LED light on there and it's STAYING.

bigalsmith101 screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 01:43 AM
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:32 AM   #4128
fredgreen
Is it Spring yet?

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Any feedback on the F40 combo lights?
Still waiting for delivery here in Canoodia. I'll report back when it's installed on the S10!
fredgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #4129
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I was just about to ask the same question, but decided to just do before asking. I used these lights all the way to Argentina and back on a DR650, and have a spare Model 30 and Model 40 lying around.

I bought a 1974 Suzuki TC100 just yesterday and it appeared that the headlight was burnt (or so I thought). Have to have a headlight to be legal, so I tested the Model 30 on a 6v battery charger (it worked) and wired it up to my bike via the battery and a switch. BAM! Success! Legal!

WAY better lighting and WAY more of it. Saweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! The light is off in the photo, but trust me, it's like night and day when compared to the stock 6v bulb regardless of high beam or not. Just rode it tonight side by side with a 2005 Yamaha Zuma, and there is no comparison.

Slap a couple of these badasses on your bike and never look back. I've got mine mounted to the stock headlight mounting bolt on my TC100.

As I got down the road, my headlight started working as the voltage/battery got up to speed. However, I've got a ADVmonster LED light on there and it's STAYING.

BigAl, just to make sure I understand you.....
Are you saying that the 12 volt model 30 and 40 worked on 6 volts??

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #4130
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
BigAl, just to make sure I understand you.....
Are you saying that the 12 volt model 30 and 40 worked on 6 volts??
I'm saying that I have 30 miles of continued use with a Model 30 light, plugged directly into the 6volt electrical system of my 1974 Suzuki TC100. It is not as bright as when paired with a 12v system, but it is MUCH brighter than my stock bulb.

Also, the Model 30 light DOES dim when I apply the rear brake/light (only other light on the bike other than headlight). I'm not sure if that would happen if you had a correctly charging/fully charged system (as I'm not sure mine is).

Either way, the light is fluid, doesn't flicker, shows MUCH brighter at night, and is working fine thus far (2 days/30 miles).
Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #4131
Offcenter
On The Road Again!

Oddometer: 196
Thanks BigAl !!
That is good to know! I can see a model 30 in my future!

77 Honda CT-90
76 Honda GL-1000
Offcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #4132
bigalsmith101
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks BigAl !!
That is good to know! I can see a model 30 in my future!
Just did another midnight run on the TC100. Finished 5 minutes ago. Model 30 still running bright as can be. Definitely a HUGE plus when compared to the stock 6volt headlight high beam. My suggestion? Run a spot light rather than a flood. My flood light isn't the greatest at 6volt compared to it's 12volt glory, but a tested my one of my Model 30 spot lights, and it's awesome.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:34 AM   #4133
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Speaking of model 30s. I put 2 on my Ridge Line and had yet to use it at night...until last night. I see a lot of threads using words like "amazing", "unbelievable", so I will use the word WOW. The last set of lights I installed on one of my vehicles was about 25 years ago. 7inch by 4inch PIAAs. They helped me through a lot of white out snow storms. But these little things shame those old PIAAs, and these are the lower Lumens of the bunch. They are soo white compared to my headlights that use standard bulbs. I have wired them with a relay attached to my parking lights so I can use them without my headlights and they will automatically turn off with the standard lights. I wonder how bright the 40s or 60s would look.
Thanks again Monster for some "WOW" lights.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #4134
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,493
Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM   #4135
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

More customer feedback This rider had never done any type of wrenching on his bike, with our help and his willingness he got er done

"Installation was like a breeze.
Pictured on high beam, fender mount.

Haven't done the road test yet.
Also need to get heat shrinkable tubes or equivalents to get wires better organized.

But many thanks for your advice and excellent products!"
Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #4136
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Noise interference

I've noticed that since fitting my advmonster 60 spot lights I'm getting some whistling electrical noise in my headphones when I plug my iphone into the USB socket in my tank bag.

The noise only starts when I turn the spot lights on, via the dimmer switch.

The 12v powerlet for the USB socket and the spot lights are on totally separate circuits wired into a eastern beaver pc8.
The wiring for the spot lights is all tucked behind the headlight and doesn't really go that close to the powerlet other than the main 12v feed running from under the seat.

Any suggestions?
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #4137
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,669
Hey Sanjoh, I have a model 30 spot light that seems to have lost its mojo, it still lights up but is weak, it's definitely the light as I removed it and powered it up directly to a good battery, any thoughts on what it might be or is there a component that I might attempt to replace (I don't mind soldering) BTW I just ordered a replacement flood light.
Thanks

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #4138
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Ok, need some help here from gen. Populus. Installed my 30s two weeks ago and one lense is already cracked. I am thinking of getting the protective lense along with the standard lense. Has anyone found the protective lense distorting the tight beem of the 30s ? I like the the tight beem on my Ridgeline.
Have also noticed a lot of bikers looking at the front of my truck as they drive by, just waiting for one to pull me over asking where I got theses awesome lights.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #4139
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogy View Post
Ok, need some help here from gen. Populus. Installed my 30s two weeks ago and one lense is already cracked. I am thinking of getting the protective lense along with the standard lense. Has anyone found the protective lense distorting the tight beem of the 30s ? I like the the tight beem on my Ridgeline.
Have also noticed a lot of bikers looking at the front of my truck as they drive by, just waiting for one to pull me over asking where I got theses awesome lights.
3M describes the xpel material as "optically clear". It was designed for use on aircraft windshields to keep critters out of the cockpit.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #4140
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromMT View Post
Hey Sanjoh, I have a model 30 spot light that seems to have lost its mojo, it still lights up but is weak, it's definitely the light as I removed it and powered it up directly to a good battery, any thoughts on what it might be or is there a component that I might attempt to replace (I don't mind soldering) BTW I just ordered a replacement flood light.
Thanks
Please send me an email (sandjoh@gmail.com) so we can troubleshoot it.