Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 AM   #106
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis
D'oh! Bad timing, I guess. So I presume that the dimming module can't be sold as a retrofit option? These are a whole new set of lights?
A new set of lights with no external changes.

No retrofit options at this time.

Now you have reason to buy a second set
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #107
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
And to think. I just got my non-dimming floods yesterday.

Since my bike was already wired for a single driving light (which I removed when I lost my old mounting points from a fork swap), I hooked up one of the LEDs last night. I would have done more, but I was getting eaten alive by 'skeeters. In fact, I'm spending as much time scratching as typing right now.

That fooker is BRIGHT.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #108
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
And to think. I just got my non-dimming floods yesterday.
Sounds like you need another bike to mount some dimming lights on.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #109
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Here are some results.

I recently had to downgrade my headlight from an HID that went south, so I am using a standard halogen bulb for this series of images.

First off, I was able to take advantage of a convenient mounting point on which I would never have hung a heavier light. To my mind, with a quick wet finger in the air comparison, these pods are just on the upper edge of light enough to mount on the side of the F650GS (single) beak. It was nothing more than a matter of removing a screw and installing the part. I used a bit of loctite just to hold everything still against vibration.

Now for some results.

With just the headlight on, I get this:

With the single flood light added, and the handlebars centered, I get this:

With the mount point on the beak, which moves with the handlebars, I also get adaptive lighting effects:

Old 09-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #110
Kieffer4
Somebody stop me!

Oddometer: 112
I just got mine in the mail and plan to mount them this weekend. The mounts are pretty thick. I think they should be more than solid enough. The lights arent very big and they are not heavy......
Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #111
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,197
Quote:
Here are some results.

I recently had to downgrade my headlight from an HID that went south, so I am using a standard halogen bulb for this series of images.

First off, I was able to take advantage of a convenient mounting point on which I would never have hung a heavier light. To my mind, with a quick wet finger in the air comparison, these pods are just on the upper edge of light enough to mount on the side of the F650GS (single) beak. It was nothing more than a matter of removing a screw and installing the part. I used a bit of loctite just to hold everything still against vibration.

Now for some results.

With just the headlight on, I get this:

With the single flood light added, and the handlebars centered, I get this:

With the mount point on the beak, which moves with the handlebars, I also get adaptive lighting effects:

How about a pic showing where you mounted them? I'm about to add a pair to my Dakar.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:01 AM   #112
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
How about a pic showing where you mounted them? I'm about to add a pair to my Dakar.
I did not take any this morning, but since I had to go out to the bike a little while ago I snapped some pictures. This just shows one of the lights, but it's pretty obvious where I'll put the other, once I do some wiring updates.

JDLuke screwed with this post 09-03-2010 at 09:10 AM
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #113
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Oddometer: 2,470
I think the lights would be great on an ATV as well- perhaps one pointing forward, and one pointing rearward on a switch, for those times when you need a tech light to light up your behind- when stuck and you need "lumination" for pulling winch cables, skinning deer, or ?

PM sent. I am ordering a set for my KLR today!

~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #114
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Probably a dumb question, but is what would be the reasoning for using a spot and a flood light together?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #115
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla
Probably a dumb question, but is what would be the reasoning for using a spot and a flood light together?
A spot can act as a long-throw driving light, while a flood provides 'fill' light in a wider area near you.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #116
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla
I actually considered it, I think the thought would be you would have a narrow-longer beam for "distant" lighting, perhaps when you are alone on the dark road, and you could leave the wider beam on all the time to assist and also to be SEEN, without blinding the oncoming cars. I would guess you would run them from two switches to be selective.

Sounds like the spot is too intense to have on if approaching cars- but I think the flood could stay on, perhaps if tipped down a tad.

Just my 2 cents- I bet that's the thinking.

~Butch Cassidy
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #117
zilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
A spot can act as a long-throw driving light, while a flood provides 'fill' light in a wider area near you.
Thanks. I just started looking into putting extra lights on my Tiger. The stock lights leave a lot to be desired at night.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #118
cooter69
Smells Bad

Oddometer: 149
I got these installed on the st1100 yesterday. The bolts under the headlight are in to the upper fairing stay. I just put a a 10 in bar between the with some rubber washers for vibes and bolted the lights to the bar.
All I can say is WOW. I have installed silverstars as headlights which are bright but these leds out throw the silverstars with less than half the power draw. Additionally there is no weird hot spots/dim spots that really anoy you.

If any animals jump out now the will be vaperized. On the down side I do think my bat hitting count might go up. Caught another last night on the shake down run making 11 this year(23 2009) luckily I had my visor down this time....last time got it in the left eye.

I try to get some beam patterns and mount pics soon

Thanks for the deal and quick service sanjoh!!!!!You rock
cooter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #119
Unstable Rider
Monday again?

Bats?

And I thought those little splats were night flying sparrows....

ewe.

There goes all hope of night riding.

yuk.

~Butch Cassidy
Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #120
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,037
Great shipping and communication

Sent some money for lights tuesday afternoon, and had the box waiting for me at home on Thursday, just in time to pack them up for my weekend trip.

I did say pack them up...going to meet a bunch of riders, but we mostly like dicking around in the garage, so I'll be able to put them on there with plenty of installation pics. Might help some on the list to show the assembly of the wire connector.

I'm impressed so far, the construction is solid, and they're smaller than I thought. They fit in the palm of my hand, roughly the size of a clementine/plum.

I'm currently running 4x HID lights on the VStrom, so this will be total overkill, but then again, I will be driving up to Maine from NYC this afternoon, hopefully not in the hurricane, and hopefully arriving before 2am. Those "Danger...Moose Crossing" signs have had me wanting more light than the sun.
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote