User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Eddieb OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 944
Wolfman or Andy Strapz?--- Soft bags

I'm looking at getting some pannier bags for the 950 and both Wolfman and Andy Strapz have excellent reputations as being quality gear, owners of both never seem to have a bad word to say about whichever pair they have bought.

No-one in Wellington NZ stocks either so I can't pop down to a shop to check them out and do a comparison, I'm going to have to order which ever I go for sight unseen from the great brown land.

Both companies make 'Expedition' model bags priced at just over $300, plus Wolfman do their Teton bags at $255, which as far as I can tell are basically the same bag as the Wolfman expedition but made out of different fabric.

Andy Strapz Expeditions: http://www.andystrapz.com/productdet...pid=34&BACK=51
Wolfman Expeditions: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com.au/415...14111/product/
Wolfmand Tetons: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com.au/415...14115/product/

So does anyone have any experience with both, can anyone make a valid real world comparison between them or highlight any points of difference that may be worth knowing?

I know both are great bags so I'm really looking for comparisons, not individual votes for one or the other.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
aussiehorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
mate,

i would try the following:

www.steelpony.com.au

they are made here in Aus, and i have used them on both my 640 and later on my 690. excellent quality, and no problems with water ingress or durability. the guy is a 2 man band, and will make your custom setup etc to match your rear seat width.

cheers,
horse
aussiehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Andy strapz are great i've done 30000 k's with mine , i have the liners and they seem to keep gear dry and they're basic to use!

I was just looking at the wolfies today as on me last trip the andy strapz blew out and took a good hr or so to sow back up that night at camp, but thats a good point cause you can fixem easy when they tear or what have you.

The buckels also crack if you over tighten them but that's about it , i rekon they should change them to velcro or fasty type straps.

I think i'll be giving the wolfies a go if they don't go up in price!
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #4
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 638
ditto for the steel ponies!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
Hytram
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 679
I ride the same bike and about to buy the same (well, in the next 6 months)

the only big difference I can tell so far is the Andy Strapz Expeditions are only water resistant where the Wolfman Expeditions are 100% waterproof

I am still leaning towards the Andys cos he is in the next suburb to me and it I need repairs, its easy (no help to you)

the Andys have pockets for drink bottles too

sorry, no real world experience

Hytram screwed with this post 08-06-2010 at 03:01 AM
Hytram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
warnabrother
.. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer: 2,022
I've ridden in torrential downpours for days on end in Tassie with Andystrapz bags and everything inside was bone dry..

I think they are great bags.. they do everything I need them to do, and Like Marty, he's only around the corner and is very helpful with both advise and repairs..
Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Eddieb OP
Studly Adventurer

Just an update to this, I went with the Wolfmans and will be giving them a good workout in January 2011 with a trip around thw South Island of NZ.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,095
Has anybody got the "A" bag, rear tail bag? Opinions please
Main thing, is it waterproof?
Thanks, STB
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 897
I have the "AA", totally waterproof so far, and I have ridden in some pretty serious rain. Impressed so far.
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
lout
AYCIC

Oddometer: 769
I have both Wolfman and Andystrapz...Both are waterproof if you close them properly (and soak the andystrapz like it says) both take crashes without tearing apart.

BUT the Wolfman mounting system is far superior to Andystrapz.

Although you do need either wolfman racks or their "other" system for other types of racks.

TASMANIA - Explore the corruption.

Orange paint and 37 clicks of suspension adjustment doesn't make up for being a shit rider :j Mo

It's not that I don't believe in God..I just believe in one less God than you.

Monsanto - The evil that keeps on growing
lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Eddieb OP
Studly Adventurer

I am happy with the Andy Strapz. I have probably done about 10,000km with them now and they have worked perfectly.

I dropped the 950 in a river and the right bag was fully submerged for over a minute, water got through the first 2 rolls of the bag but not the 2nd 2, so my sleeping bag etc stayed dry.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
k0diak
Roaming Hun

Oddometer: 1,022
I wrote this for my ride report, more of a comparison of Giant Loop and Andy's. I've used 2 sets of Andy's on 3 different bikes for at least 50.000km, both were about at 50% of their lives when I sold them.

"What I like about the Giant Loop is the no fuss, rock solid fitting, no possibility to interfere with riding (I could commute with them on easily and leg space is not an issue) and that the tools and spares are neatly placed in their own compartment on the bottom of the bag, close to where my center of gravity is. The claimed 50+ liter storage is a bit of an overstatement though, considering Andy's hold 15-25L and mine were about half filled. Same stuff went in the GL and it's stuffed like a turkey at Thanksgiving. At least forces me to really think about what I need. Only space left in it is for medical stuff for Asia. I think it's more suitable for overnight trips but adding the 40L dry bag (that is really dry for the essential stuff) makes it just enough. Unfortunately I still need to carry a backpack at the moment as the volume this setup can hold is a bit limited (especially with warm clothes needed)...I'll ditch some of them for Asia Pacific though.

One drawback I've found is that it doesn't seem to be as waterproof as the Andy Strapz panniers. Even though the Andy's are just made of canvas and this is some PVC tarp, I could ride through rivers with the Andy's no problem. On the Giant Loop the seams are leaking in heavy rain, even though it had a full tube of seam sealer spread on it. It has inner bags, but the two on the bottom leg that holds the tools/spares was a bit damp after half a day of riding in a pressure cleaner. I'll see about dustproofness in a few days. If I was just doing Australia, I would have stuck with the Andy's (even though I reduced their content a fair bit). I only just realised (after 2 years and about 50.000km on them) how much thought went in the design process. Even though it's canvas, it's really sturdy, waterproof and I've never seen dust in them. I had hard Zega panniers before and even though they were waterproof, everything had a nice bulldust coating inside by the end of a longer day.

Unfortunately where the Andy's fail me is getting them fit on the DR. Not sure why but they always ended up sliding off (and most of the photos I see of them on smaller bikes are like that), so I ended up adding more and more strap contraptions to hold them in place, to the point when it became a 20 minutes process to refit the bags...which might be necessary on a daily basis depending on accomodation or just air filter access.

I reckon the Wolfman's fitting system might be a bit better/easier to deal with, but they stick out a bit too far for my liking."

k0diak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Marcbar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Andy Strapz

We went through a day of torrential rain in India and the Andy Strapz panniers remained nice and dry while everything else including us were soaked.
I also find them to be very strong after a number of offs out in the bush.
I use the Coles type shopping bags to put my stuff in and then don't have to take the panniers off when I stop.
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #14
Marcbar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrack bob View Post
Has anybody got the "A" bag, rear tail bag? Opinions please
Main thing, is it waterproof?
Thanks, STB
Yes I have an A bag and yes it has proven itself water proof over the years.
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,570
Saw some Enduristan gear recently, looked good, but I've never used it:
www.enduristan.com.au