Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #31
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,583
Thirty posts and no from the Mod on Duty????

I guess a Day Trip doesn't deserve moderating because nobody will stir any shit here?

Oh yeah, off topic.

I'll load my pix and catch up with the narrative.

Ladybug - I had a bald front tire. Not so much fun on the dirt.

PS:

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #32
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,512
Hey, you have me here watching your antics what do you need Gaget Boy for? - - - I'm much cuter

Bald front tire on a street bike sounds like an adventure to me (and staying on the pavement sound like the smart thing and what I would've done )
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #33
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR
Sorry to threadjack, Ro.. er, Larryboy. Your audience awaits more of your magic!

I hardly took any pictures and I showed all of the video I'm going to...short and sweet this time.

Let's see, we had an awesome time soaking in the hot springs late into the night. Much fine food and drink was consumed. Nicky showed his who-who to Andy and a "small" debate developed(clothing optional place).

In the morning we split into small groups of similar bikes. Jim and myself went together, Andy and Nancy had this hairbrained idea of riding to the top of White Mountain..thru Yosemite and home to Fremont in one day..I talked them out of that and now they'll have to tell us where they went and what they did, Ben and Nicky started out together.

Andy let us take his new 800GS for a short spin. I really like it over the 990 I rode last summer, smooth snappy power on the 800. Thanks Andy!! :nice

Let's go SFKLR guy!!

We went up to Barcroft Station at 12,500 feet, both bikes did just fine!!

We were just in time for a lecture on the effects of wildfire on bighorn sheep, I really liked the talk and Jim liked this gal with pink earings and a full white beard.

We went down to the Patriarch Grove for lunch. I was feeling a little bit woozy from the altitude. Funny to see our snacks swelled up.

Jim met a guy with some Husky dogs, made me miss my old Husky.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
Nixels
Face fears - live life

I don't know why I took a pic of Rob disrobing.

At least he had the common decency to have some pants on under his pants.

One of the things I noticed this year (our 3rd annual trip!) was how I took the scenery for granted. Not that I didn't love it as much it's more in how I took it in. Jim was agog - as I was the first time - and I kinda said "Yeah, it's breathtaking, but I'll just sit here and take another deep breath and take it all in.

The sky was beautiful - and at night the Milky Way felt like it was close enough to touch.

The moon was bright as Rob's Baja headlight and I slept without the rainfly and saw everything through the moonroof.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #35
Hari in Gila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Very high quality.

Traveling the less traveled, seeing the often missed.

Great West Trail - We provide logistics for your Southern CDT adventures. PM me with any questions
Hari in Gila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #36
Regbafazool
Gregarious Pariah

Oddometer: 597
larryboy said:
Quote:
Nicky showed his who-who to Andy
Nixels said:
Quote:
I don't know why I took a pic of Rob disrobing.

Clearly, more information is needed here! :ymca

Nixels also said:
Quote:
I guess a Day Trip doesn't deserve moderating because nobody will stir any shit here?

Always willing to oblige!

oh.....yes.......looks like a fun trip!
Regbafazool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #37
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Ben and I went along up to the main road to the station and I quit before the pavement ran out. I got there a little before 11:00, relaxed for a while and then took a few pix.

That lake bed was pretty much due south and the altitude was around 8,000 ft. Very nice - hot in the sun, perfect in the shade.

I sat, read, slept and wandered around this high altitude campsite.

I was on vacation, so I just relaxed and took it easy.

Ragbuffoon

Ben came and got me around 1:30 and we headed back down the mountain. He's a patient fucker, that's for sure. I rode those curves with way too much care - my tire probably would have held, but I didn't have much faith.

We stopped in a Mexican place for lunch in Bishop. Took about 1/2 hour to get our food. The "guacamole" was made of equal parts diced avocado, jalapeno, onions and tomatoes. Not mashed up or anything.

The burrito kinda was a bomb that kept exploding for a day.

We skipped the train museum because it was hot as shit and we were tired. Maybe I'll just go down to Bishop and see that old iron.

We stopped off here because Ben thought it's good to know where he's headed. No GPS for us! Just a few roadsigns and some good coffee to guide us.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #38
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556

What a great sign find.

Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #39
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Whick one is the king, the misfit, the freak and the renegade?

Is there a story?

If not, make one up for us.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #40
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz

Is there a story?

It seemed like we had some very different catagories as far as people went. If it weren't for motorcycles I highly doubt any of us would have met in this life. The middle song in the video is by Juliette Lewis and talks about these things, I traded the freak in place of the word 'bomb' as the last song is the very newest tune by the Smashing Pumpkins titled 'Freak'.

In short, I could put each of us into one of those definitions...I won't though, we can pick our own.

Psst, I just picked up some new video editing software today. It's time to take it to another level or get rid of the video cam.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
It seemed like we had some very different catagories as far as people went. If it weren't for motorcycles I highly doubt any of us would have met in this life.

Not the first time and probably not the last time that has happened.

VIVA LA MOTO
Old 08-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #42
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz

Is there a story?

You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a king, a freak, a misfit, and a renegade. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.

/breakfast club

Honestly, sitting in a hot springs in the high desert, beverage of choice in hand, staring up at the milky way with shooting stars every 10 minutes, after riding our trusty steeds to previously unknown places, we were all kings.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #43
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR
You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a king, a freak, a misfit, and a renegade. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed.

/breakfast club

Honestly, sitting in a hot springs in the high desert, beverage of choice in hand, staring up at the milky way with shooting stars every 10 minutes, after riding our trusty steeds to previously unknown places, we were all kings.

awesome.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
Seems like a good idea

Not that there's anything wrong with it...........

I KNEW it!!!!

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #45
Nixels
Face fears - live life

I guess larryboy's lost in editing land.

In the middle of the night, I awoke to the sound of a metal piece hitting the ground. Like a coffee mug or something. I was wide awake and sitting still, trying to determine what it was. As I sat there, a light shown from Ben's direction and a canine shape showed through my tent wall as the culprit skulked off.

Jim and I got out of our tents, and Ben reported that a dog had been prowling the table, knocking my coffee mug onto the ground. He said the dog circled back and was at the table again, when he turned on his flashlight.

I guess we were the popular campsite - the birds came in the morning and picked at the scraps from our poorly cleaned dinner from Saturday night.

Then this little furry critter came by looking for a meal and some human kindness.

Jim broke out cheese and milk for our friend to stave off starvation for another day.

And the furball returned the favor by helping Jim with his airmattress deflation.

Once the power of the pussy wore off, we headed West towards home at about 8:00 a.m.

Gassing up, Ben and I decided to take the Tioga Pass with Jim since it's the easiest route across. My bald tire hadn't grown any new tread in the desert air.

After a long wait at the gate, Jim bought a Nat'l. Parks pass - and the kind folks let all three bikes go through on it.

Jim's awe was apparent by his swiveling neck. And we stopped often to get shots, then move on. I kinda felt like I was riding with an American version of Lu Fei.

I tried to get us to Andy's favorite burger joint outside the park, but my memory was off - it was 15 miles outside the park, not five.

Jim wisely split off and retraced his route 10 miles to visit Hetch Hetchy reservoir while Ben and I went on to our burger place.

Next time I think I'll continue on another 4 miles to a different place - they might be a little faster on the food delivery.

Then home through the valley heat.