with Blue Mountains Ulysses
Everyone is welcome to join us for the ride

Meet: Blaxland McDonalds, GWH, BLAXLAND, NSW for a 9.00am Start
Ride Leader: Eric B
Ride Report/Videos: Eric B

4th August 2010

Destination:
St Albans, NSW

Wednesday, the 28th of July we did not ride due to weather conditions.

The weather conditions for to day were 8-18C. I left home at 8.00am and headed up to Blaxland, I was glad I had worn my thermal underwear and even though things are still really difficult to find, shrunk away in the thermals it was a little bit on the chilly side heading up Lapstone Hill.

Arriving at about 8.20am there were already a few riders waiting, I had spoken to Noel H the night before, he informed me that he would not be riding to-day because he had the flu, informing the riders of this on arrival, I then suggested that we could go to Wisemans Ferry for morning tea then go across the Webs Creek Ferry and out to St Albans for lunch, we would then come back to Webs Creek Ferry, cross back across the river then turn right along the river road where we would catch the Ferry at Portland, back across the river then head to the service station at Sackville for afternoon tea. Everyone was in agreement with this, I was immediately elected ride leader, we would normally go up to Springwood and head down the Hawkesbury Valley Road but due to a truck smash on Monday the road would be closed until further notice.

We left at 9.00am, down the Great Western Highway. Following was Les W, Peter M, Bob P, David E, John E, Alan M David C, John A and tail end charlie would be John McC. We rode along Castlereagh Road just before Agnes Banks Paul S passed us heading south. He had left McDonalds at Blaxland and gone up to Springwood to see if the road was open, he had gotten through to my surprise, then just after passing him there were signs of road closed till further notice, I turned right off Castlereagh Road at Richmond High School and through Richmond on to Windsor. When I got to Windsor I had lost four riders, we then turned left at McGraths Hill where I pulled to the left to wait for a few minutes for our lost riders to catch up, they did so we now had our full contingent of riders again.

We arrived at Wisemans at approximately 11.00am where we had our morning tea in the sun in one of the pentagonal shelters, after morning tea and the warming of the sun we headed up the hill at Wisemans. Opposite the Hotel where a couple of us stopped for fuel, just to be on the safe side as I now know my tank only holds 270km worth of riding, we then caught the Webs Creek Ferry across the river and wound our way up to St Albans. It is quite a good road but there were quite a number of branches that had been blown down onto the road, making it a cautious ride, arriving at St Albans at about midday we opted to sit at the tables outside the settlers arms for lunch, of course we all had our own lunch when the lady brought out the sandwich board out with the menu and prices I looked at the cost of each meal thinking I was glad I brought my own lunch.

After lunch we wound our way back down to Webs Creek Ferry. On the way back there is a sign that reads SLOW with a ROOSTER on it. I thought that it was quite humorous as I have never seen a slow down for rooster sign before, we also had to slow for a young heifer that was loose on the road, when you try to pass you do not know which way they are going to go. We would then catch the ferry back across the river turn right onto River Road winding our way up to Portland where we would catch another ferry back across the river, winding our way around the back roads to the service station at Sackville to have afternoon tea. On arriving at Sackville service station I found we are four riders short again, speaking to the other riders they all assured me that on the ferry they were all there, so we waited for some time for our lost riders to arrive, but alas nobody turned up. We said our goodbyes, then we would head back through Windsor were some of the riders would turn right, some to the left, some would go straight ahead.

Arriving home at about 4.00pm after having done about 265 kilometers for the day's ride. I made myself a coffee and then started to make some phone calls to find the lost four riders. I firstly spoke to Alan S who told me that when he got to Lower Portland the tail enders were a little bit slow because of the road conditions as it was a little bit on the slippery side, although my maximum speed that I did was no more than 60kph, Allen said that when he got to Lower Portland he thought we had turned left so they went up Portland Road and found their way home from there. John A and David C had crossed the river at Lower Portland on the ferry, realizing that the two riders behind them were not there they went back across the river to the left onto the River Road, followed it back down to wards Wisemans to see if one of them had a breakdown but they could not find them so they continued on a different way home. So I have now been sacked as a ride leader, or maybe the Old Fell was a little bit too fast on his Harley, but you must remember this, "THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS".

Everybody seemed to have had a good day, the weather conditions were perfect, your company was excellent, what more can I say. Anyhow stay well and ride safe
Regards Eric B

Map Link
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Blaxland,+New+South+Wales&daddr=Penrith,+New+South+Wales+to:Richmond,+New+So uth+Wales+to:Windsor,+New+South+Wales+to:Wisemans+ Ferry,+New+South+Wales+to:St+Albans,+New+South+Wal es+to:Lower+Portland,+New+South+Wales+to:West+Port land+Rd+to:Sackville+Ferry+Rd+to:River+Rd+to:River +Rd+to:River+Rd+to:River+Rd+to:Sackville,+New+Sout h+Wales+to:Windsor,+New+South+Wales+to:Castlereagh +Rd+to:Penrith,+New+South+Wales+to:Blaxland,+New+S outh+Wales&geocode=FXka_f0dnCD6CCnr-vkSbYgSazG8m32U3ZCtow%3BFar6_P0dBmL7CCnhZAIt7oUSaz F4gBYOy6IdNg%3BFcdW__0dek78CCnfs7VCV30NazFqJ1hWuPx nzQ%3BFZIr__0dyUr9CCm1B4oQZGINazEl8FksprKrRw%3BFZE 4Av4d0MX_CClDw5_UvkENazHU6OfWdRbSYg%3BFUoFBP4dl5__ CCnj3AtOCz4NazF2rRkQQD4dAQ%3BFW-SAf4dzwf-CCkf9fR_3mgNazGcr7TNKQ-Y-g%3BFfGbAf4dxh7-CA%3BFbUrAf4diN7-CA%3BFYfOAf4d5pb-CA%3BFVAFAv4dGLP-CA%3BFVr8Af4d7tb-CA%3BFfcIAv4d7WL_CA%3BFSnJAP4dTi_-CCnfcgSqFmYNazEyS1HCmqucpg%3BFZIr__0dyUr9CCm1B4oQZ GINazEl8FksprKrRw%3BFVao_v0dBC_7CA%3BFar6_P0dBmL7C CnhZAIt7oUSazF4gBYOy6IdNg%3BFXka_f0dnCD6CCnr-vkSbYgSazG8m32U3ZCtow&hl=en&mra=ls&via=7,8,9,11,12,15&sll=-33.538819,150.880051&sspn=0.14766,0.308647&ie=UTF8&z=10