Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #32
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddo
Yeah, that's going to have to be Jab's department, I wasn't able to take on bike pics without my tank bag and we didn't have much time to stop and smell the roses in Yosemite. My posts are going to be light on pics but Jab can fill in the blanks with his pics.

Jab...
I think the 4 Ca Passes, Shermans, Tioga, Sonora, and Ebbets may be the best 400 miles of riding in the world. Thanks for your report.

Here's my BS story
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394194
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #33
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
I think the 4 Ca Passes, Shermans, Tioga, Sonora, and Ebbets may be the best 400 miles of riding in the world. Thanks for your report.

Here's my BS story
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394194
Hey Ratman! I read your trip report when I was planning ours, truth is, you were instrumental in my desire to do this. Thanks!!! They are, as you know, some beautiful roads..
Old 08-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #34
Geddo
ADV-11

Oddometer: 233
The passes were truly a great ride, so much so that I pretty much passed most opportunities to take a picture and just enjoyed the ride

Here is a picture somewhere on what I thought was called Carson Pass (88)

I got a bit caught up in the ride and passed anyone and everyone that got in my way... except one crazy ass moutain man in a 70's Ford F250 that took off like a bat outta hell and drove the sh!t out of the turns leading up to Sonora Pass! That truly was a sight to behold and reminded me that I am no one near as fast as I think I am... but also no faster than I should be

The restaurant in Marklee was great, the french toast was awesome and the BBQ place we ate at coming up 395 to 89 was called the Mountain View BBQ, here is a pic of the place with no goofy ass poses of me (thanks Jab, guess that was payback for the wench comment)

I was a little sketched out about the possibility of having to ride Ebbets after dark, turns out that riding into the blinding sun is not much of an improvement. That is one piece of road you really have to be careful on, it wouldn't take much for someone in a truck to end up in your lane as go around a blind corner... I took it real easy on that stretch.

My highest rated pass was Sonora, but the best stretch of road was 26 now that is some fun twisty action. The worst was the truck pollution we experienced on Ebbets on the last day, seriously lady why the F#$%#! would you buy a Cayene to drive it like Prius, and of course the lumber trucks are nearly impossible to get past.

All in all it was a great trip once again with Jab, and as for the Cult of ST...

I am glad to say that my nightmare of being abducted did not happen, I am here and able write about my experiences.
I did learn one thing about this secret cult that I shall impart to you today and I hope for my sake I am not
revealing too much... you see I learned the secret handshake without having been inducted into this shadowy
culture. The next time you find yourself confronted with an ST rider in the middle of nowhere, do not panic, just
look the owner right in the eyes and say "Hi, how do you like your ST?" That or a "What year is it?" (cuz all ST
owners like their ST) followed by a friendly conversation is 'the secret handshake'...

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda."
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #35
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,651
Nice RR. Looks like I'll give it a try.

What happened to the Guzzi?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #36
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Looks like there's almost as many pictures of me in this ride report as there were in the last one.

Carry on.

PS: Glad to see you made it home on take two, Gramps.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #37
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabandsnort
Hey Ratman! I read your trip report when I was planning ours, truth is, you were instrumental in my desire to do this. Thanks!!! They are, as you know, some beautiful roads..
Cool, I'm glad someone was listening J&S. You 2 did a great job on the report.

And I agree that those ST's are pretty reliable fast bikes.......but when You get in those passes, smelling the roses can be a greater purpose.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Enjoyed the RR...

especially the commentary on the "ST Cult". You guys cracked me up
Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #39
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
Looks like there's almost as many pictures of me in this ride report as there were in the last one.

Carry on.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. You coulda been there, I see Randy de Puniet is back riding after only 4 weeks. Wuss.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #40
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1
especially the commentary on the "ST Cult". You guys cracked me up

SHHHHH! They're everywhere....
Old 08-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #41
Geddo
ADV-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter69
Great ride report!!!!!!

I live and work in Yosemite........and own an ST

We ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, you wouldn't happen to drive a 70's F250 would ya??
Old 08-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #42
Geddo
ADV-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140

Carry on.

For our next ride Jab will have to teach you the finer points of the 'self-portrait' cuz I ain't stoppin Gimpy!
Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #43
Geddo
ADV-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Nice RR. Looks like I'll give it a try.

What happened to the Guzzi?
She is currently setup on stands, I drained the oil out of her to see if there was any carnage. I am happy to say that nothing metallic came out in the process.

I made a deal with my wife, if I rented a bike I would hold off on getting the repairs until next month... wanting to continue my ride I didn't bother to argue. I'll post back with the gory details once I know more, thanks for asking!

Cheers
Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #44
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Nice report. I kinda read the first few post of reports and decide if I wana follow or not. I Kept checking every night! Glad you guys made it home safe.

Bikes of the past:
02 rm125, 96 rmx250, 01 drz400E, 07 drz400sm
02 ktm 640, 06 ttr125
Jrmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #45
cooter69
Smells Bad

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddo
Thanks, you wouldn't happen to drive a 70's F250 would ya??

No but I am a blue hair lady in an oldsmobil

Nope I'm one of the youngest st-owners I've met at 33. I own the st1100 so it has a little more style!!!

Next time your in town look me up

Jay
cooter69 is offline   Reply With Quote