User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,485
Bike Pr0n - Lake Superior Circle Tour Version

Fall equinox time, which in the Frozen North means autumn colors and the approaching end of the riding season. Fortunately this year Darkrider decided to take a spin up here from Texas to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour. Great excuse for four days of riding...

Darkrider...

Your faithful scribe...

The route -- up I-35 to Duluth, turn right, keep the big body of water on your left for roughly 1,100 miles, down I-35 to home. Seriously, I hate GPS and I only tolerate maps when they are necessary.

Michigan back roads...

We stumbled on this cool testing facility somewhere on 'da Yoo Pee'. The three tracks went out for a couple of miles.

Ontario...seriously folks, those damned Canadians stole all the best parts of the Lake Superior shoreline for themselves. I hear Bush is prepared to label Canada a state-sponsor of terrorism to justify the annexation of this coastline.

Now for a word from our trip sponsor...beer...

Back to Ontario. Of course I should mention that Sean had an encounter with Colorful Canadian Characters (tm), which he will share after he finishes his blast down 980 miles of I-35 to Dallas today.

Those damned Canuks, they're so nice they even write pleasant bathroom stall graffiti. Clearly, they have something to hide...

Sorry for the interruptions. Back to Ontario coastline.

Yeah, those are surfers you see out there, in 50 degree water on a 50 degree air temp day. Crazy Canuks. Clearly, they are a threat to our national security...

So, anyway, on to Minnesota. Just a couple of shots with the moonrise right after we cross the border, and of Cascade State Park. I took Darkrider up Highway 1 to Ely, but that was far too fun for taking pictures, so you'll just have to imagine the 50 miles of tight, twisty two-lane road bordered by tall pines and golden aspens.

THE END.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,755
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins

Now for a word from our trip sponsor...beer...

THE END.
Sorry, but in Canukistan, drinking Labatts is the equivelant of drinking Scudwieser in the States.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,237
Thanks for the pictures of the big lake and my favorite landscape. Your bikes look familiar...I may have seen you in traffic yesterday on the north shore somewhere.

Quote:
Sorry, but in Canukistan, drinking Labatts is the equivelant of drinking Scudwieser in the States.
I guess I must be part Canuckian, then, I like Labatt's.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,169
Is that the Wawa general store?

Your beer stop, eh?
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
selkins OP
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,485
Hey, Deuce, I didn't say 'high class' beer. I probably should have said 'cheap' beer.

Likely, Klay. We skittered down from Grand Marais to Finland btwn about 9:30 and 11am. Then Ely and lunch at the Chocolate Moose before scattered roads to Duluth. Nice riding day yesterday, and glad you liked the pics.

Beer stop was in Agawa, Powershouse. We camped that night in a Prov park about 40 km shy of Wawa. Darkrider's encounter with Colorful Canadian Characters (tm) was in Wawa during a smoke break before breakfast Saturday.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,755
Talking

Quote:
Hey, Deuce, I didn't say 'high class' beer. I probably should have said 'cheap' beer.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as 'cheap' beer in Canukistan. That is how we pay for our 'free' healthcare. We call it 'Sin Taxes'.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #7
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

Thanks for showing the beautiful fall colors.

I miss 'da UP, eh.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Likely, Klay. We skittered down from Grand Marais to Finland btwn about 9:30 and 11am. Then Ely and lunch at the Chocolate Moose before scattered roads to Duluth. Nice riding day yesterday, and glad you liked the pics.
Yeah, that was you. I'm not sure exactly where I saw you, but I left the Grand Marais area about 9:30 also.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,571
Fabulous fall colors ride!! Looks like you had a great ride... thanks for the pics and report
Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Unfortunately there is no such thing as 'cheap' beer in Canukistan. That is how we pay for our 'free' healthcare. We call it 'Sin Taxes'.
Damn straight on that Deuce...Cdn$20 for a 12'er of that stuff...downright criminal.

I'll post up my pics once my hands can move again. 980 miles in 15hrs of 20-30mph headwinds about ripped my arms off. Yeah, and there was a gd ticket late in the evening to boot...bastard troopers in Ardmore, OK have no respect for a weary advrider trying to get home.

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #11
DarkRider
Middle-aged Man

Oddometer: 608
More pics

I'm just going to throw mine up with minimal discussion...Scott did a great job of outlining what was yet another stellar adventure.

Trying to get lost - south side of Lake Superior:

Isn't that a good looking dry bag ...Scott marks a tree so we can find our way back:

Stirring up some dirt:

Grazing cow:

Seasonal color...definitely not something I see much of in Texas:

Can't really make it out from this pic, but I was following Scott and came across a bird standing on the side of the road feasting on some roadkill. From a distance, it didn't look like a vulture and then I realized it was a bald eagle. Passed it but the light didn't give me a good shot...got him flying overhead but the overcast screwed up the lighting. Needless to say, an amazing thing to see, even if the picture doesn't capture the full effect:

That's about it as far as pictures from here. It was an awesome trip and one I'd highly recommend, particularly for anyone looking for quiet roads and great fall colors. Best of all, we got to see some of the local colors on the northern side of the lake. Best line I heard on the trip was standing outside a diner in Wawa, Canada and hearing the following exchange between 2 locals:

Local 1: "great day to fish ey?"
Local 2: "yah"
Local 1: "great day to get fookin' drunk ey?"
Local2: "yah"

Our decision to take fuel in Wawa paid off

Life is a participatory sport - say YES and let the adventure begin.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins View Post
Is that Cascade Falls, selkins? I got a picture of it at low water this fall.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 522
Beautiful pics! Thanks for sharing!

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote