Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 06:19 AM   #31
Bikeaholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
You've done yourself proud with RR. Nothing wrong with these pics either. Thanks for sharing. Top stuff
Bikeaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:05 AM   #32
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Great read and briliant photos.
Im all inspired.
Thanks.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #33
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
Day eleven.

We woke early to a cool morning, packed up quick and found our way out onto the road.
We stopped on a hill and stared at the view like a rabbit being spottied . We also noticed the clouds heming in and it had that feeling of rain. I'd be lying if i said i was'nt excited by the thought of rain, but i was getting dissapointed at the possibility that we maynot see much in the pound either.

We fanged off to the Flinders Ranges NP paid our entry fee and headed off thru Bunyeroo gorge which is just a magic ride thru a gorge of astounding colors, rock, cliffs and caves . A sedimentry time line of staggering age .

Once thru the gorge, we rode on some more and had lunch near razorback ridge. We then split off the main vein onto a secret path which was like a zoo , there were that many animals on it. We ended up on a new tar road , a nice twisty ride up and down hills and into Wilpeana pound we arrived with a welcome shower of rain.

Dan was in a stuper ,mumbling and i was frazzeled but charging around after 2 great coffee's, that riding and the scenery was alot to take in, all at once. For some stupid reason we were going to climb up the mountain and then back in the dark. Luckily we decided to do it in the morning the otherway around, we bought some food a top notch bottle of plonk and some monkey blud as a filler.

Lucky to set up with out too much rain ,we cooked up in a drizzle and drank lots of wine, as celebration for makin it to the Pound.
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 AM   #34
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
Hey Hein, you going to finish this report? Your killing me

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #35
DustySnow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Yeah, I agree. Stop keeping me in suspense.
DustySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #36
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Thank you for posting .Great photos.
A long time since the flinders has looked so green.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #37
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackers
Hey Hein, you going to finish this report? Your killing me
Fuck sorry Knackers but i been paying off my fines workin hard , promise to finish soon.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #38
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Day 12

We got up at 5 and trekked up to the pound in the dark for a look .
It was'nt lookin good , drizzel and thick cloud.

We got up the top and enjoyed what we could ,had fun flicking rain soaked branches at eachother, and cooked up a feed and had a brew.

We headed down and enjoyed the wet conditions.

After packing up we grabbed a coffee shot off some post cards and took off North.

After a bit of tar we took a left on to our first bit of wet and muddy conditions ...yeah!

It was a bit of a handful considering my tyre choice, but loads of fun.

Not long in, Dan literally got swept off his bike .

It was hard pack clay with a beautiful bit of grease on top.

We rocked into a dry
Blinman and realised they had no fuel, so we had a Blinman burger and a pale ale at the pub and headed over to Angorichina to feed the kato's.

We fueled up and backtracked to Blinman with joy, trying to keep the slides going for as long as i could, having a few salty tongue moments.

We got a move on for Paralana Springs .
The bit from Blinman to Wirrealpa is the last bit of hills for a while , it was fantastic.

After a large stretch of fast dips we stopped at Balacoona near a gorge .

This gorge has a face which creates an echo, well worth stopping for.

Then we cracked on thru more dips , stopped and chatted to a grader driver who had been working this stretch of road for 38 years solid.
He said it has'nt been green like this for atleast 10 maybe 15 years, acouple of months ago it was a dust bowl.
We would've loved to chat with him some more but it was dusk, he pointed us in the right direction and we were off!

About 3 k's later we hooked right and the road changed for the better , it felt like an enduro for the next 26 k's , atleast it felt like it to us on the big bikes. We were racing eachother and laughing out loud, dodging ,rocks, roos and rutts.

Welcome pound

We'd made it to Paralana springs, under a starry sky we scrounged around for wood and tried to pick a good camping spot.
A fire was made we had a feed and boiled the kettle while i
went about sewing up my bag which had not fared well from the spirited 26 k dash. Many teas later she was as good as gold.
The next morning around 3 am , it started to rain, the kind which starts slowly and gets heavier and heavier . Then Lightning and thunder, some were terribly close. The distance between strike and sound was 16 seconds in the beginning.
i tried to get as comfortable as i could but i just could'nt sleep, my 36 dollar tent was showing it's arse to me, and it's nasty.
So i thought stuff it, and put on all my wet weather gear......still did'nt get a wink.

Speaking of seeing arse's.

I heard alot of swearing and opened up my tent to see what the hell was going on.

It was Dan , in his thermals with his feet tucked into his shoes straining to pick up his bike in the pouring rain ,not a pretty sight. The stand went into the ground like it was sand.
He got it up but then realized he needed something for the stand to rest on, while looking with one hand and holding the bike with the other , away she went again the other way.

The laughter i was consumed by made it near impossible to shine the torch, i never bothered even to check mine i was too busy trying to stay warm and dry and laughing.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #39
DustySnow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
How could you not have a fat time in the Flinders?
DustySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:14 AM   #40
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustySnow
How could you not have a fat time in the Flinders?
If you were paris hilton maybe??
Old 09-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #41
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Day 13 Mud Glorius MUD

It has now been raining for just over 5 hours solid and i can hear the creek's water rushing loudly as the rain begins to stop.

I break out of my tent (which could be the envy of hydroponic gardeners), greet Dano ,find my beanie plastered to the earth and wonder if the rain has gone altogether while getting a coffee sorted.

It's easy to see we had a shit load of rain, my bike had a stream running under it and if not for a huge rock it would've gone over too.

We rekon it's looking up and have some brekky and pack up ,we go off to find the springs but the water was just too high to see them.
So we gear up and slip and slide outta there around ten.

It's the kinda riding which makes you think of nuthin but keeping it up.
About a k out we hit some real shit stuff, it's fun at first but then the bike's start to struggle and the concentration is just full on.
I got me feet out like trainer wheels and save it more than a few times.
The clutches are fucking hating this crap, i go off track to try for a better grounding but it's less predictably and not much better, i go back on, down a lip of greasy muck get outta shape and drop it, get up and look back at Dan who has just dropped his while watching me drop mine.

The wheels are just so full of it that it's like riding with the front brakes locked on, and the chain's are packed tight at the primary, as you walk your growing and inch taller every step...truly.

Were having fun but....we are asking questions!Like ummm we've only done 1.2 k's of this and don't know what the rest 24.8 is like?
And ...the up hill bits are truly difficult, you need momentum to get up but to commit your looking at a broken leg if it goes to shit. not good. How many ? and how high?
How much longer will the clutches handle it?

I wanted to persevere but Danno's plan of heading back was lookin like the only option.

So we turned around and struggled back it was a really sweet place to be stranded we rekoned.

this is clean

After we get back two blokes walk out of nowhere.
They look real pissed and are not up for much of a chat, their obviously trekking back from somewhere, and after few words they reveal they've been gone for three days and had a very shit night, sleeping in bivvys ,then trekkin back for 6 hr's with all wet gear.
That solved the mystery of the 4wd that had been parked with no one in sight.

We could be here for a while, especially if it rains again .
We thought if it does we need a better shelter and more water , so we set about it after the bikes were demudded.
If you find a bowl made from earth out that way it's not some ancient Aboriginal art piece .

We took a walk up the hills to gett some clean water and decided to go the top and when we got up the very top we had a magnificent veiw and were suprised to see our tracks in the distance.

We now had plenty of water and a kick arse shelter to see us out.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #42
Lee Gunn
Thrilled to the CORE

Oddometer: 3,385
what an addition to this story - bloody hell Gimme2 I just had to nick one of the photos of the mud locked bikes - what a trip

tEaM gUnN
Lee Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #43
Knackers
Polishing Turds

Oddometer: 4,783
Great RR and good pics. But its not finished yet.

It just happened, Max, you know?

A p-p-p-p-piece from here and a p-p-p-piece from there.
Knackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 AM   #44
Finch.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme 2
Day 13 Mud Glorius MUD
Brings back memories - at the same time you guys were being rained on at Paralana, I was being rained on somewhere along the Oodnadatta Track. Good times

Finch. screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 05:03 AM
Finch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #45
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Day 14,

We got up pretty early and did a quick gearless run out, to check the condition of the track .

It was GOOD. Confidence was up .

No sooner had we got back to camp , we were packed and ready to nail it back into Arkaroola.

I was excited to be on the move again .

It was heaps easier than the day before but still a learning curve lay ahead literally.

Come over a rise and it was like custard underneath and turning right .

I had to bail to avoid going under the bike and into the barbed fence.

After a bit the track became steady under foot and
it was time to have some fun.

We got to Arkaroola had a few beers and meet up with this chap, Rodger the artful dodger.

This is a bike he bought in 1973 in Darwin at the dealership in which he worked as a mechanic ,and rode it down to Melbourne and then back up and down with his rather large mistress.

Now he's off to do the Birdsville track, on his classic with his classic camera.

Roger...an absolute classic!

Onto Blinman and to the pub for a HUGE burger and a beer , no fuel in Blinman so we went to Anchorchina, a fast twisty dirt track there and back put a huge smile on our dials.

Then we headed to Leigh Creek which meant the end of the hills.
The wet sloppy track with large puddles made me feel alive in the dark, and a few beers were enjoyed at the Maree hotel that night.

Were now very close to our destination....Lake Eyre!