Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
Anton, What makes it a harder install?
It's a pretty stout press fit, whereas 5th slips on and off. That's all. Once the bearing is removed, in each case.

Quote:
I agree the lower first makes more sense than the higher high. For instance, I have a 2.91 final drive in a 90S, my fourth gear is the same as fifth with the standard 3.00 FD, shifting up to fifth drops the revs about 3%. 70 mph is about 3700 rpm in fifth, so I still have 3500 rpm to play with.

What I do notice is how much clutch slipping I have to do to get rolling...
I have the exact same scenario! I put a 5-speed into my R75/5 which (being an early one) has the 2.91. I installed the short first for that very reason. It's a really wonderful setup now. But for a G/S where your FD gearing is short and options are basically nonexistent, the short 1st might be overkill and the tall 5th might be welcome.

Quote:
Problem is my bike has a late run '74 box according to the numbers that Snobum posted. So I don't want to do any internal messing around with it.
Good idea. The gears in question are not directly compatible before 1977 anyway. If the oil stays clean, I'd probably just keep riding it for now. If it needs repair at some point, put your $$$ toward a newer box instead.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,333
I could have had a lower 1st put in when I had the rebuild done and specifically didn't do it. I can cruise at 15mph in the woods in first, any more than that and I have to shift. A lower 1st would lower my 1st gear cruising speed and I'm happy with it where it's at. I can kick a wheelie if I'm going slow on the stock gear so I think it's low enough. Someone that does more serious offroading than me might want one.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #18
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
I'm going to order some tomorrow. If anyone is interested send me a PM. The more we order the cheaper it will be. BTW- You only need the one gear not both.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #19
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,739
Thanks for all the good responses, the transmission comes out tomorrow or tonight if I can shake off the jet lag.

First time ever taking the transmission out... should be interesting..
Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmontanero
Thanks for all the good responses, the transmission comes out tomorrow or tonight if I can shake off the jet lag.

First time ever taking the transmission out... should be interesting..
Not to bad of a job if you pull the swing arm pivots after removing the driveshaft bolts. Where are you getting the 5th gear?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro
Not to bad of a job if you pull the swing arm pivots after removing the driveshaft bolts. Where are you getting the 5th gear?
I should have done the Swing arm direction, but went with the engine forward instead. (no 27mm socket) It's out and on the garage floor, headed to the shop tomorrow. I'm awaiting the results of the parts need... If Fifth is trashed I'll definitely go with a higher replacement.

I'd have to say that I'm unusually frugal, and 200 bucks was a bit of a shock . It's true that I sourced it for price as soon as I heard, not much to be saved.

Anton has a good price and I'm in awe of his willingness to share his knowledge as well as the vibe you get in posts listed above. I'd order from him just to throw some business his way. If you're going to spend money, why not spend it with people you respect.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #22
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Per your PM - the '81 probably doesn't have the shift kit. My notes say it happened in mid-1981, applying to most of the '82 models. Might depend when in '81 your tranny was built. Easy enough to tell; when the shifter mechanism comes out just compare it to the pics on this page.

It should have the non-X 5th gear, as the X gears started halfway through the '82 model year. Of course it could be possible you have a later tranny in the bike, so look for the X on all of the helicals before you act. I don't think there's any real reason to presume your existing 5th gear is bad, unless you ran for a while with water in the oil or with a totally trashed bearing somewhere; your decision on the tall 5th will probably come down to whether or not you want it.

I'm glad you found a local shop that is competent with these. Seems pretty rare these days. Dealership? That'd be even rarer.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Per your PM - the '81 probably doesn't have the shift kit. My notes say it happened in mid-1981, applying to most of the '82 models. Might depend when in '81 your tranny was built. Easy enough to tell; when the shifter mechanism comes out just compare it to the pics on this page.

I'm glad you found a local shop that is competent with these. Seems pretty rare these days. Dealership? That'd be even rarer.
If the box doesn't have the shift kit should one be swapped in for long term?

I was referenced to the shop by a long time rider/racer of Airheads I met on a lark a couple years ago. Forgot the name and then had someone here mention it. I'm hoping for the best, I've got two bikes and they're both broken right now.

Sad when your running vehicle is a 60's MG and you'd really like to have it sold . Had to make a gasket the other day for it to get me down the road. Thank goodness I had an old school teacher teach us to make them rather than blindly heading down to the parts store. (and some gaskets aren't even available for the darn thing anymore)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #24
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

If you have the box apart defiantly update the shift mech and swap out the nylon rollers for the ones in the K75 and K100 transmissions.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #25
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Would an R60/6 benefit from a taller fifth? I have a later "ribbed" gearbox I am told. Will I have enough torque with the taller fifth to do safe overtakes etc.?
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #26
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmontanero
If the box doesn't have the shift kit should one be swapped in for long term?
I would - I tend to upgrade things to the latest spec just because - but it's your money. The parts are cheaper than they were a year or two ago. The shift kit mostly eliminates false neutrals and gives you a lesser likelihood of being stuck in gear if the pawl spring breaks, but it definitely doesn't eliminate that possibility. If you decide to get it, let me know.

Quote:
Would an R60/6 benefit from a taller fifth?
You can use fifth on that bike?!?!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #27
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
I would - I tend to upgrade things to the latest spec just because - but it's your money. The parts are cheaper than they were a year or two ago. The shift kit mostly eliminates false neutrals and gives you a lesser likelihood of being stuck in gear if the pawl spring breaks, but it definitely doesn't eliminate that possibility. If you decide to get it, let me know.

You can use fifth on that bike?!?!
With the later 5 speed transmission thats fitted I don't see why not? I get four clicks when I shift atleast :)
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #28
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

It was a power jab...

With the lower final drive gearing on the R60, if you feel you want a bit more top end you might consider finding a taller final drive. That way you keep the relatively nice gear spacing that the transmission has (I actually like the short gap between 4th and 5th because it makes passing easier). Plus it's easier to undo if you decide the motor can't pull a taller 5th. Plus the aftermarket tall 5th isn't compatible with the early transmissions and there's a good chance your bike would be one of them.

The downside is that you may end up with speedometer error, which doesn't happen with the tall 5th.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #29
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Quote:
Rad... (sorry, still in Southern California)... I'll definitely mention it when I go into the shop today that I'm curious to see which one is in there. I'll be in touch on this and update for those considering the same moves. Again thanks Anton... I owe you one.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #30
elmontanero OP
Practicing...

Just ran the numbers of the parts for the shift kit to get an Idea of the price...