Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #16
cabot
lurker

Oddometer: 34
Hey Dai... pm me your email and I'll send you the gpx tracks file.

Actually no HDR... I gave up trying to get it working. All the post editing has been done in Lightroom. Here's a few more to match the ride report so far.

I just can't get the sky right in this one...
cabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot
Actually no HDR... I gave up trying to get it working. All the post editing has been done in Lightroom. Here's a few more to match the ride report so far.
Sorry 'bout that Chris, noob mistake.
whuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Following the meandering river:

Old 08-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 7 - July 6, 2010 (cont'd)

The Dempster is a living (literally) monster. It has many emotions and its temperament is fickle. It is built on top of a berm above the permafrost with essentialy geologies that were proximally available.

Storm's coming or rather, we're chasing it.

And the highway's complexion changes...

Old 08-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

The clouds part and the sun comes out long enough for us to enjoy the expansive fields of Yukon's flower, the Fireweed.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #21
cabot
lurker

Oddometer: 34
Don't forget about Lulu... who's a dirty girl?....

cabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #22
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Awesome! Now I wanna go back. Keep it coming.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 315
Wow, fantastic photos. I chose the Dalton over the Dempster, but your pictures really make me wish I could have done both.
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 AM   #24
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Well, we finally made it to the Arctic Circle after filling up with food and Gas at Eagle Plains where we met Dave and Gus (our bizzaro twins). We ended up riding and crossing paths for the next 4 days.

Everyone has photos at the Arctic Circle so here's one without us:

From the lookout:

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #25
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

We crossed over into NWT and made our way to Rock River Park.

Obligatory welcome sign picture:

The weather changes so quickly here. They say that if you don't like it, just wait two minutes (or leave). By the time we got to Rock River, it was very warm, sunny and muggy.

Our Zumos had no idea how to handle a sun that never set:

The same people also say (who are those people?) that if the bears don't get you, the bugs will. The bugs at this site (specifically the mosqs) were the worst that I've experienced. Worse than canoeing through interior Algonquin, worse than Labrador... just insanity.

I left my gear on but still got eaten alive.

We retreated to the shelter and found evidence of other not-so-mentally-stable folks like us from Toronto:

And then it started to rain and hail... at least the bugs diminished (a bit). It was a great day and we quickly passed out despite the bugs, rain and ever-bright night. End of Day 7.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #26
Hamon
I just like riding

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuht

The Dempster is a living (literally) monster. It has many emotions and its temperament is fickle.
I came to this same conclusion on my Dempster trip. It can be a sleeping behemoth (as it was for our trip last year): dry, slightly dusty, but overall very pleasant and serene, or a raging beast: wet, muddy, greasy, and miserable. I've only experienced the sleeping Dempster, but from my experience up there, it won't be the last time I go. Gravel roads are living roads.

Excellent report and pics so far! Keep it coming.

Travis
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Hamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #27
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 8 - July 7, 2010

View Larger Map

Ahhh, these damned mosqs, they're having another go at us for breakfast. We quickly packed up and left those fackers behind... on to Inuvik.

We rode through some amazing scenery today; tundra-like areas with a mountain range backdrop. It was quite overwhelming.

I had to quickly re-tighten my chain guard but it lead to an amazing sighting, an Arctic Grey Wolf. It was solitary and watched us with a curious yet tentative stance. It started backing up and retreated while watching us. I tried to take a picture but she had put some ground between us.

whuht screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 12:13 PM
Old 08-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamon
I came to this same conclusion on my Dempster trip. It can be a sleeping behemoth (as it was for our trip last year): dry, slightly dusty, but overall very pleasant and serene, or a raging beast: wet, muddy, greasy, and miserable. I've only experienced the sleeping Dempster, but from my experience up there, it won't be the last time I go. Gravel roads are living roads.

Excellent report and pics so far! Keep it coming.

Travis
Thanks Travis! We were pretty fortunate and only rode about a day of slime and mud. The rest, dry and hard-packed. She was kind to us and yes, I too will go back someday.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #29
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

They (again, who are those people?) say that the Dempster hates you. Well, it kinda likes us but a combination of a construction project and some bad weather made for a 5 hour delay (12 hours for some). An 8 foot deep and 20 foot wide washout stymied us. We waited with our bizzaro twins from Vancouver (Gus and Dave) while just the Asians were assaulted by the bugs.

Eventually, traffic was permitted to pass through a single lane in the culvert and we were off to our first ferry crossing, a cable ferry across Peel River. With out twins.

Our second river to cross was the Red Arctic River. This ferry operated under its own power. As you can see, the Dempster just kind ends at the river bank and the ramp 'condition' can vary.

And a short commute later, we found the end of the Dempster. Again, obligatory welcome sign. We stayed at the Mackenzie Hotel (a bit pricey) only to find our twins rolling up moments later. Ironically, we had just traveled thousands of kms through cars, wildlife, dirt and mud without any incidents... only for my bike to tip off the centre stand in the hotel parking lot. No damage. No worries, though I have never done that in almost 25 years of riding!

whuht screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 10:23 AM
Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 9 - July 8, 2010

We set aside several hours to act like tourists and visited some local points of interest.

Inuvik Welcome Centre:

Igloo Church:

And we were off, going the only direction we could... south to Eagle Plains.

View Larger Map

Same river crossings:

whuht screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 12:19 PM