Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #46
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot
A few more pictures for the ride report so far...

Can't remember exactly where... somewhere along 99 or 97...

Outlook along hiking trail in Wolf Creek campground just south of Whitehorse...

View at Arctic Circle...

Mountain view in Alaska...
These are spectacular Chris, nice work!
whuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #47
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 13 - July 12, 2010

On this day, we headed off to Ross River and then south on Canol Road. We departed Carmacks to blue skies (a welcome departure from the deluge the previous night). We were quickly back on gravel and dirt roads going east on the Klondike (YT-2).

View Larger Map

I can't recall exactly where this bridge is (before Canol) but it spans a gorge and river that offered up such amazing views!

For perspective, that's me in the top right hand corner:

There's an access to a great camping site by the river:

We had to zig north to Ross River for gas and a break and continued south to Canol Road. The locals have built an access road just north of the Klondike that connects Ross River to Canol Road. To call the road a road is a stretch... not 200 feet in, the rough gravel turned into very soft loamy sand. With Chris leading, all I saw was a huge plume of dust and sand and through the headset, just cursing. Some how, Chris kept the bike up despite the foot to foot and a half deep sand. We made it Canol Road where another excellent adventure ensued.

This picture is from the south access to the seasonal, unmaintained road:

Gotta run to work... will post more later! Cheers.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #48
cabot
lurker

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLester
On you panoramics I believe the first one is on 29 Peace river area.
You are absolutely correct. Nice road for bypassing Dawson Creek. Our GPS's tried to turn us onto one of the logging roads (Upper Cache Road) just after the rest stop heading north but we declined the invitation and continued along 29. Pictures taken at (A), Upper Cache road (B).

View Larger Map
cabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #49
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabot
You are absolutely correct. Nice road for bypassing Dawson Creek. Our GPS's tried to turn us onto one of the logging roads (Upper Cache Road) just after the rest stop heading north but we declined the invitation and continued along 29. Pictures taken at (A), Upper Cache road (B).

View Larger Map
I totaly agree that road was really nice. We didn't have a GPS but saw the road on the map and decided to try it. It was a pretty ride. The field before that rest area was so windy acroos there we both were leaning hard to keep going straight both hoping the wind didn't stop and make us run off the road.

We were there in Early June.
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #50
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
[QUOTE=whuht]Day 8 - July 7, 2010

Great ride report and beautiful pictures, but this one is spectacular. Well done and a hell of an adventure. How did the bikes hold up through all of this?

Gero
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #51
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,485
^that needs to be submitted for the front page!
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #52
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,092
+1 on that photo, it captures the essence of Adventure riding beautifully! Outstanding RR, very nicely done. You were true to your word at the beginning, that the text would degenerate to just photos but it's great!

In one of your early posts you said:

And then, when we really thought we saw everything, we rounded a corner to see a giant (I mean gargantuan) wild bison bull on the road. We very carefully navigated around it while it kept one eye on us. Its a very different and amazing experience encountering bison on a bike (rather than a cage). And then really then, around the next corner, a 40-50 bison herd smack in the middle of the road. The herd spanned the road, shoulder, forest, everywhere, WOW! It was too dangerous for a pair of motorcyclists to stop to take pics with the bulls, sows and cubs.

Man, this is Gospel. Back when I lived in Wyoming (for 34 years) I did a lot of riding (bikes and bicycles) in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and areas around that have herds of wild bison. Those things will completely ignore cars/trucks/campers but will come after motorcycles and bicycles. I've been chased and charged and had the living shite scared out of me by them many times. A bull can weigh 2000 pounds and run 35 miles per hour - you can't turn around and run on a bike or bicycle, they are just too fast. Many times I had to ask a cager to drive between me and the bison. Don't even tempt them if they have calves. These ain't Farmer Brown's cattle. I've spent my life around all manner of wildlife and the only ones that truly spook me are the bison.

Well, I'm gonna get in trouble with my boss if I don't close this RR and get back to work! Simply outstanding, you guys, thanks.

Doug
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #53
GR8ADV
Pow right in the kisser

Oddometer: 795
Damn fine RR! I am enjoying this. My son and I were within a few days of you either way. So as I look at your pics, some of them are exactly the pics we took. Well except yours look better. What's up with that anyway.

Great report, and it sounds like you two ride well together. Keep it commin

It's All BS Til' the Nanny Posts
GR8ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #54
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron

Great ride report and beautiful pictures, but this one is spectacular. Well done and a hell of an adventure. How did the bikes hold up through all of this?

Gero
Thanks and agreed on the photo. Chris took it - he's got an eye for this kinda thing. Our bikes have been awesome. We've logged over 20k km on different rides and haven't had a single mechanical issue or even a flat. I'm going to knock on some wood because I know how fickle Lady Luck can be.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #55
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
+1 on that photo, it captures the essence of Adventure riding beautifully! Outstanding RR, very nicely done. You were true to your word at the beginning, that the text would degenerate to just photos but it's great!

In one of your early posts you said:

And then, when we really thought we saw everything, we rounded a corner to see a giant (I mean gargantuan) wild bison bull on the road. We very carefully navigated around it while it kept one eye on us. Its a very different and amazing experience encountering bison on a bike (rather than a cage). And then really then, around the next corner, a 40-50 bison herd smack in the middle of the road. The herd spanned the road, shoulder, forest, everywhere, WOW! It was too dangerous for a pair of motorcyclists to stop to take pics with the bulls, sows and cubs.

Man, this is Gospel. Back when I lived in Wyoming (for 34 years) I did a lot of riding (bikes and bicycles) in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and areas around that have herds of wild bison. Those things will completely ignore cars/trucks/campers but will come after motorcycles and bicycles. I've been chased and charged and had the living shite scared out of me by them many times. A bull can weigh 2000 pounds and run 35 miles per hour - you can't turn around and run on a bike or bicycle, they are just too fast. Many times I had to ask a cager to drive between me and the bison. Don't even tempt them if they have calves. These ain't Farmer Brown's cattle. I've spent my life around all manner of wildlife and the only ones that truly spook me are the bison.

Well, I'm gonna get in trouble with my boss if I don't close this RR and get back to work! Simply outstanding, you guys, thanks.

Doug
Nicely summed up Doug, thanks. I didn't realize how fortunate we were to have come out unscathed. With our communicators, I often get confused with the voices in my head. Chris is my voice of reason from time to time and he has reminded me of potential perils.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #56
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ADV
Damn fine RR! I am enjoying this. My son and I were within a few days of you either way. So as I look at your pics, some of them are exactly the pics we took. Well except yours look better. What's up with that anyway.

Great report, and it sounds like you two ride well together. Keep it commin
I'm trying to think back to if we crossed paths. I will read your RR and see if anything cues up. Cheers!
Old 08-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #57
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 13 - cont'd

After managing to keep the bikes upright, we soon disappeared down Canol Road. I'm not sure which direction is better but going south sure felt liberating. The road was a bit rough but we traversed many different terrains and elevations. The ascents were short (relatively speaking) but steep. The descents pretty much fall right off the cliffs so we slowed down to a crawl.

The road pretty much flattens out for the last 60km as you work your way around Quiet Lake. This is not Quite Lake...

Just before the lake, Chris and I were remarking on how little wildlife we had seen. We had observed piles of poop on the side of the road but not really attributed the poop to an owner (or ex-owner). As irony works, moments later, in one of the more overgrown narrow sections of the road, we came up on a Grizzly. No word of lie, there it was right in the middle of our path, very interested in something on the road. It looked up at us, looked back down, looked back up at us and decided to run in the same direction in which we were riding.

So during these 10 or so seconds (which seemed like minutes), Chris and I pretty reacted as we said we would if we encountered a bear. Okay, we never really talked about it but being relatively experienced outdoorsmen, we have practised good bear-safety and have also encountered less aggressive species of bears. So during these seconds, we started hooting and hollering, revving our motors, honking our horns and slowly continued moving toward the Grizzly. While riding to my potential demise, all I could hear was the voice of an inlaw saying, you'll never see a grizzly and if you do, consider yourself lucky.

As we're here to talk about it, you probably guessed that the confrontation ended well for us. Well, the bear continued to flee for a good stretch until there was a clearing into the forest. Now, I know you cannot out run, out swim or out climb a bear but I have never experienced the sheer speed of a bear. I looked down at the speedo during this craziness and saw 40kmh. Imagine, a 1000 lbs+ animal running at that speed. Anyway, Chris and I were pretty stoked that we finally had a Grizzly sighting. This may surprise you but no pictures.

Near the south end of the lake, we were pretty much forced off the road by a group of 4-5 riders going north at a pretty good clip. With the dust and shadows created by the shoreline trees, we could hardly make anything out. Chris nearly binned his bike when a couple of the riders took a very line, drifted and nearly pushed him off the road. All's well that ends well but for posterity, f**k you, ya bunch of hosers!

We got to the southern access of Canol Road later in the day, dusted ourselves off and camped at Teslin Lake.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #58
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 14 - July 13, 2010

Today was a short day made for lazing around campsites and lakes. We took our time, crossed over into BC and headed south on the Stewart-Cassiar. Evenutally we made our way down to Boya Lake via Hwy 37. We camped in one of the most ideal sites by the lake and just enjoyed the view.

View Larger Map

whuht screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 04:02 AM
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #59
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 15 - July 14, 2010

They say adversity builds character but this rain is starting to get to us (a bit). The day started off dry, we got to pack up our camp site (even though it rained through out the night). But, a day riding in the rain is better than a day in the office.

View Larger Map

We rode south on Hwy 37 with a lunch destination of Telegraph Creek. I have to tell you, the Dease Lake-Telegraph Creek road is worth the 'detour'. Right off the hop, even in the rain, the road was just plain ole fun to ride. I dubbed it the dirt Deal's Gap (not so many switchbacks but nice curves through a lush forest).

After a rather straight and boring stretch (where we saw a huge black bear - and echoing the Father and Son RR yawn... yet another bear), we hit some amazing gravel and dirt switchbacks. The warning signage is premature but eventually you descend and climb some unreal grades of more than 20% (an oil truck shared the road with us at one point).

The descent took us into the valley of the 'Grand Canyon of the Stikine River'. The valley is home to a First Nations village of the Tahltan Band. The canyon with plateaus of lava fields with life being provided by the Stikine River just creates a powerful and connected feel to the land.

A formation in the cliff face that looked like an eagle or falcon (it was 200 feet tall). Pictures do not do it justice - just can't capture the scale. Nor did they capture the two eagles soaring above the Stikine River.

We got to Telegraph Creek and had a terrific lunch at the only cafe in town only to turn around and do the Dease Lake-Telegraph Creek Hwy again (shucks).

We camped at Morchuea Lake Recreational Site. It's a user maintained site which means free but also means less travelled and quieter. We pitched our tents in the rain, cooked dinner in the rain, stood around in the rain and didn't even start a fire. Slept dry, thanks to some good tents.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #60
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Day 16/17 - July 15-16, 2010

Sorry folks, I've been delinquent in updating this RR. Amidst unending job and home duties, we are getting ready to move from Toronto to Vancouver.

Anyway, today was a heck of a ride. The roads were paved and not completely unexciting; however, the views just got increasingly better and better (if you're into glaciers and stuff). The ride took us from Morchuea Lake Rec Site to Stewart, BC.

View Larger Map

Many others have ridden this road but riding through the forests with towering pines, spruce, ash, just tight to the road was cleansing. The oxygen, smells and colour were vitalizing.

We stopped in Bell II to gas up where we met two groups of ADVers. A shout out to Maniac - sorry no pictures. The other group, of no names, had a misfortunate meeting with a moose (poor moose) but were still trekking north despite a moderately damaged F8GS and a broken wrist. I hope you guys/gal made it okay.

As you approach Stewart, the frequency and size of glaciers cresendos (with the granddaddy just after Hyder, AK - but on Canadian soil).

I appreciate no one has tried to take pictures of glaciers so I'll post some.

Sorry, will continue this RR later... have to get back to work.

whuht screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 05:55 AM