No worries, update when you can...

Thanks,

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 AM   #62
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Wow, some greats shots and RR guys, looks like a spectacular trip. Thanks for posting!
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #63
cabot
lurker

Oddometer: 34
My turn for ride report duties...

The glacier in the previous pictures is Bear glacier about half way to Stewart where we stayed the night at the King Edward Hotel.

In the very early morning a cleaning crew is busy at work washing the one street through town (wish I knew why). Somehow they manage to set off the hotel fire alarm... something about water pressure dropping. Sure made for an early morning but gave us more time at Salmon glacier.

There are 2 border crossings to go through to get Salmon glacier. Well they aren't really border crossings. The first one between Stewart BC and Hyder Alaska has no US customs but you'll need to go through Canada customs on the way back. The second one has nothing and if you aren't paying attention you won't even know you've crossed it.

Looking into Hyder

Looking into Stewart

The ride up to the glacier is spectacular and filled with anticipation when you finally get a peak at its base.

The view gets better and better the more you climb.

When finally it can be viewed in its full glory.

The colour in the ice is amazing.

But we didn't stop there. We continued along the "unmaintained' section hoping to get closer, and you know, explore.

We seemed to be getting closer but were eventually stopped. We might have been able to squeeze through but it only got worse farther on.

So we turn around and make way for the Nisga'a Memorial Lava Bed. We stopped at Fish Creek to check out the bears and salmon but the salmon run hadn't started yet so the bears weren't around. The warden mentioned the salmon are really late this year. I hope they eventually did run.

The ride to the lava bed was uneventful, other than a very dusty road, but it was worth it.

And the campsite was nice... except for the scary bear warning.

That's it for now...

cabot screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 06:51 PM
cabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #64
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,368
Your report inspires me to plan a similar ride!! Great pics and spectacular ride
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #65
whuht OP
n(.)(.)b

Oddometer: 53
Thanks for continuing the RR Chris...

I like this picture on the farside of Salmon Glacier (if you look closely, you can see Chris riding up the road about the middle of the frame).

whuht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #66
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
Going through your RR, I just cant believe I live here. I guess I should stop more and smell the roses (well okay... fireweed) instead of blasting through.
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #67
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 382
This is what I want to see!!

Hi guys... thanks for a great ride report & fantastic photos.

I am sitting in a hotel room in Burns Lake BC, just about 300 miles from Hyder. The weather today has been rainy (riding from Jasper to here), but I am hopping for a break in the weather tomorrow, which is the day I want to go to Salmon Glacier.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #68
cabot
lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrev
I am sitting in a hotel room in Burns Lake BC, just about 300 miles from Hyder. The weather today has been rainy (riding from Jasper to here), but I am hopping for a break in the weather tomorrow, which is the day I want to go to Salmon Glacier.
Hope the weather improves for you and you get some good time at the Glacier. From our notes we were in the area for 6 hours and a lot of that was off bike. Truly amazing. Just thinking back to it... what the f#@! am I doing slaving away behind a desk. On that note I'll try to continue the route tomorrow (Prince Rupert) as all I could manage after getting home was a scotch and a beer (no bourbon).
Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #69
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Stunning!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #70
cabot
lurker

July 17 - Day 18

View Larger Map

With 6 days left before needing to be back in the Vancouver area we leave Nisga'a with no set destination. The Nisga'a highway south to Terrace offers some additional views of the lava bed but if you want to see the volcanic cone you'll need to arrange for a guided tour. The highway is clean and full of sweeping corners begging for speed. Certainly was hard to resist.

Made it to Terrace for lunch and still lacking a destination we headed to the local tourism office to at least pick up the parks maps for lower BC. Turns out that the highway to Prince Rupert from Terrace is one of National Geographic's top 10 drives. The highway follows the Skeena river with a background of mountains. It's not very twisty, but it sure is scenic. The weather wasn't great so the majority of the pictures will come tomorrow but two worthy of being posted...

The later part of the highway to Prince Rupert goes through what I can only describe as rain forest. The trees and pants are so lush and green. It's hard to explain and we didn't stop for any pictures. You'll know when you see it. As the campground outside of Prince Rupert was full we headed to town, grabbed a hotel, and set off to find some place to get some seafood. I must say I wasn't impressed but you might have better luck.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #71
cabot
lurker

July 18 - Day 19

(Grrr I can't get google maps to work for the route... Prince Rupert, British Columbia to Tyhee Road, Telkwa, British Columbia)

Again no real destination today, just a direction. So we head out with much better weather.

Along the highway between Prince Rupert and Terrace

Somewhere between Terrace and Smithers we come across some rapids where a few locals are fishing with nets and poles. Didn't make note of the name or exact location.

Ended up at Tyhee Lake Park. Neither the GPS or road signs actually knew where the park was but thankfully some kids jumping off a bridge into a river pointed us in the right direction. If you are looking for a nice quiet campground don't bother. But if you looking for a place to sleep and shower that's cheaper than a hotel it's all good.

cabot screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 06:55 PM
Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #72
cabot
lurker

July 19 - Day 20

Not much to report today. The ride from Tyhee Lake to Prince George, frankly was boring. It's way more civilized then we are used to with cars and RVs everywhere. No pictures either. But tomorrow... we look forward to the west side of the Fraser river!!

(to be continued...)

cabot screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 08:52 PM
Old 08-31-2010, 04:58 PM   #73
cabot
lurker

July 20 - Day 21

Prince George to Lac la Hache

View Larger Map

What a great day it was today. The sun was shining and we were heading to the west side of the Fraser river. I had expected it to be mostly gravel but turned out to be mostly paved. But its a far nicer and quieter drive than 97.

Stayed the night at Lac la Hache at the exact same site we stayed at on the way up. Sad knowing the trip is nearly over.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #74
cabot
lurker

July 21 - Day 22

Lac la Hache to Paradise Valley

View Larger Map

Another beautiful day if not a little hot but that's nothing to complain about. Today had us going towards Alice Lake for a final night of camping via Kelly Lake road. We skipped Kelly Lake on the way up, well didn't really plan for it, but was it a treat. The elevation change is amazing and the road is so narrow that you hope you don't come across a vehicle in the other direction. The rest of the road is across private land, though the road is public, and is bordered with fields and a great view of the surrounding mountains.

Stopped at the Reynolds Hotel Cookhouse Restaurant in Lilloet for lunch. I couldn't help myself and had the 'whole farm'. Two huge patties, bacon, cheese, fried mushrooms and onions, country fried egg with lettuce, tomato and mayo on a puffy kaiser bun with fries and gravy.

Continued on our way stopping where we wanted...

Ended up at Paradise Valley campground as Alice Lake was full. It was our last night so we endulged on beer, bread, cheese, and whatever freeze dried food we had left.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #75
cabot
lurker

July 22 - Day 23

Our last day. We break camp, stop in Squamish for some breakfast and wifi, and make for Horseshoe Bay where we part ways. Dave catch's a ferry to spend a few days on the Island with family and I head into a Vancouver for a little sight seeing before catching a flight home.

It's been a little over a month and just thinking about it still fills me with emotion. By far the best trip! As for what's next... it's going to be tough to top.

Thanks for reading!