User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
peanutsfan1995 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Israel

(Technically this is my uncle posting. I'm 15 and even though I've done some riding (but don't tell the fuzz) he's the real rider. I'm just better at )

It's always been my dream to visit Israel. I'm fairly religious and I love history, so it was a dream come true when I managed to finally book a flight into Tel-Aviv. I much prefer bringing my bike to renting a car, because it's so much easier. I ride a 2003 BMW R1150GS. One of the quirky things is that the guy I bought it from two years ago had swapped out the stock engine for a 1,500 cc 4-cylinder diesel. I resented it at first, but I've grown to like it. With the 30L tank plus the diesel, I can go quite far on a single fill-up.

So, enough about my bike. I landed in Tel-Aviv, went through security, and picked up my bike. I bought a road map, strapped on two Camelbaks and a water bottle, and my little sleeping bag. I filled up my tank and left Tel-Aviv. After a short detour to Bethlehem, I got on the main road of Sderot. After 30 km, I saw a nice side road. Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to follow it, just for a few miles. What I found ate up the rest of my day.

A quaint little village, complete with a communal kibbutz was only 5 miles off this road. Almost as soon as I dismounted, someone came up and asked me if I wanted to have lunch at their house. I accepted the offer and walked over to his house, a nice one floor, two bedroom bungalow. Constructed with a mix of stone, mud (kind of similar to adobe bricks), and good 'ol cement, it was fascinating to hear how it was built. Jacob's English wasn't perfect, but we were still able to communicate quite well. He gave me a parting gift of a pottery piece, some leeks, and info about some great trails to go see some archaeological sites. (I got his email and I hope we can keep in touch. Nice guy)

I took a dirt road about 12km east. Lo and behold, there was a great dig site. I drove around, taking in the sites. Night was falling, so I pulled over at the side of the road, smooth talked my way into a tent with a student from the US (though my friend Mr. Lincoln helped out as well). I camped out on the floor for the night. At 8 o'clock, I woke up and after a quick breakfast, I was on my way south again.

I got back on the main road, and let me tell you, it was fun as hell. There were plenty of other riders and the motorists were very kind and let me pass a lot of the time. I actually saw a tank going by when I was stopping for a snack. I didn't have the foresight to bring a camera on my ride, but here's a picture that looked like it. http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/876...6BF04B24B4128C

About two hours after heading out, I reached the Golan Heights. Standing atop them was amazing, looking into the valleys below, and the hills above. The landscape was so beautiful, I found myself dismounting so often, simply because I didn't want to damage it in any way.

The ride back was average. Nothing to write about besides a blown tire, but I had a spare with me, so it was all good with a call to a mechanic.
peanutsfan1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
bzriding
n00b

Oddometer: 7
sound like a good time!

personally I like the southern part of Israel (desert) better than the north (grassy hills).
...and by south I mean much farther south than sderot. Next time!

bzriding is offline   Reply With Quote