Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #151
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks for the detailed response! I'm really excited about the R60. It just oozes class and style (in my opinion). I used to ride much faster and more powerful bikes too - supermotos, a couple of KTM 950's, and even a Honda RC-51 that was just too fast for me to ride sensibly. I think the R60 will be right in line with the kind of riding I'm ready for these days.

Like you, other things got in the way of my riding. I have a 3 year old daughter, and despite saying that I would never be "that guy" that stopped riding because he was afraid of the dangers after having a child, that's exactly what happened. I haven't ridden a bike religiously in 3 years. There was a time when I put 15,000 miles on a bike in a year - I have no idea what to expect now. I may just ride it on nice days and add a few thousand miles each year. I'm hoping to do a few trips on it, but probably not right away. I would like to get a bigger tank just in case. Part of me is thinking about having a larger all aluminum tank made by Evan Wilcox. Costly, but why stop the hemorrhaging of money now?

The poor bike must've been scared to death of me at first. All manners of "visions" of what to do with the bike went through my mind. For a while I was going to turn it into a cafe racer. Then, maybe a scrambler. Then I decided (without ever having ridden an airhead, mind you) that it wouldn't be powerful enough, so I started looking into swapping the jugs for R75 or even R90 equivalents.

Part of me thinks Papa wouldn't let me proceed until I had my head on straight. I'm finally in the right mind set: It's going to be a very nice R60/5, mostly original, with some classy non-stock appointments here and there. And however quick or slow it is, it will be perfect as-is.

As an update, BMW Hucky still hasn't received my payment check. This debacle is going to add a few weeks the project.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #152
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Well, I sent the Cashier's check exactly two weeks ago to BMW Hucky and he still hasn't received it. I've never had an issue with the USPS like this in the past! I finally conceded and went up to the bank to stop payment on the current check and get a new one issued. I'll be mailing this one via Priority Mail (with a tracking number!) later today.

Another two week set-back!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 05-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #153
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Well, I sent the Cashier's check exactly two weeks ago to BMW Hucky and he still hasn't received it. I've never had an issue with the USPS like this in the past! I finally conceded and went up to the bank to stop payment on the current check and get a new one issued. I'll be mailing this one via Priority Mail (with a tracking number!) later today.

Another two week set-back!
DAMMIT! I get so darn excited when I see an update to this thread :)

Hard luck......could be worse I guess.
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #154
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I read your response and couldn't stand to have my biggest supporter disappointed, so I thought about what else I could do to have something to update you with. As it turns out, since there is still LOTS to do, I had lots to choose from! First I decided to call St. Louis Plating - the place that I dropped off all the parts that needed to be chromed. My parts were ready, so I took a drive over to St. Louis. STL Plating was great to work with. Very friendly and helpful. They were upfront with me about the time it would take to get to my parts (three weeks), the price was more than fair, and they the parts were done as promised.

The tank plates look great, but the pitting they had was deep enough that they weren't able to grind the defects down far enough to totally eliminate them. If you look close, there are still very small dimples in the plates from where the pitting was. At first I was disappointed, but now that I've looked at them some more I've decided they're just fine. I tried to take some photos to show the dimples below. I figure if you can't see them with a close up shot from an ultra-sharp 50mm prime lense, they're no big deal!

Left:

Right:

Once I had these, I drove them to my painter. He's going to airbrush the black "wings" by the tank badges. He's also going to install the plates back onto the tank for me. He had concern about it being more difficult since the new paint and new chrome added some thickness. He thought it would be best if he did it - that way if there was damage to the paint during installation, he could fix it on site. No arguments from me! I do not want to do anything that may scratch the new finish! In fact, I brought him my new locking gas cap to install as well. I should have the tank back ready to rock in about a week.

Back to the chromed bits. Here's the headlight ring:

And the center stand grab handle:

And both together:

And the lower front fender brace:

And the upper front fender brace:

Wait, that's not chromed! Why didn't they chrome it?

D'oh! OK, off to have it welded up and then back to STL Plating. I took it to a local auto shop that I've used to hone dirt bike cylinders in the past. As I was packing up, I remember how clean the cylinder was when they gave it back to me and decided that maybe I'd let them clean up some of the cast aluminum engine parts. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be cleaning, scrubbing and polishing cast aluminum for hours, but why not let someone better equipped do some of the work? So I took these parts to them:

These should be back all shiny and clean by this weekend. I also removed these, and will start working on painting them soon:

In addition, I am hoping that my rims and hubs will be laced this week. Keeping my fingers crossed. A few hours after getting them back and I could actually have a rolling chassis again! Next steps that I can be working on in the mean-time are changing the brake shoes (easy) and *GULP* starting to re-wire the headlight bucket.

So there you go - I have plenty to keep me busy until the next batch of parts arrives!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #155
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Quote:
So there you go - I have plenty to keep me busy until the next batch of parts arrives!

Wow, those oxidized old parts really perked up!! Those chrome highlights are going to look so sick with the high gloss black! But seriously Backdrifter, you can't rush perfection and good things come to those who wait so take your time...but not too long please
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #156
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks! I'm with you, but finding a balance between taking my time to do things right and moving quickly to be out riding is getting tough!

Forgot to post a few photos of the new Bridgestone tires. They're all ready for the wheels to come back!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #157
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Quote:
Thanks! I'm with you, but finding a balance between taking my time to do things right and moving quickly to be out riding is getting tough!
Don't stress bud, you're doing great....and you're probably more ahead of the game than you think.

Take the time to ride while you can, winter is a great time to wrap up old projects!

Those tires look almost edible ...lol
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #158
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

The auto shop called and said the parts were all ready. One day turnaround - not bad! They welded and fixed the fender brace, which I then ran back up to the chromer:

And they bead blasted all of the parts I dropped off. They look much better compared to the "before" pictures above!

In hind sight I should have just bought a bead blaster and cabinet at the start of this project. Oh well, the charges for bead blasting have been very reasonable and having it done has saved me considerable amounts of time. And it looks great! The next step for these parts is to get out the silver Rub N' Buff and do some finger painting. They'll look brand spanking new when done.

Still waiting on a call to hear that my hubs and rims have been laced. Fingers crossed.....

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #159
newride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
looks good man! very cool. Like the Blind Melon Sig line too. Very true lines.

My moto blog: http://jbloggie1.blogspot.com/
newride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #160
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Old 06-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #161
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks everyone!

An update on the cashier's check - I sent another one and it arrived late last week, and BMW Hucky shipped the parts on Monday. Expect some photos of Chrismtas, round 2, on Thursday!

AND, the original cashiers check FINALLY bounced back to my home address with the words "incorrect address, return to sender". The interesting thing, though, is that the address I had written was correct! I still have to call USPS to complain about that one!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #162
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #163
mcstark
Oilhead convert

Oddometer: 965
Just caught your thread...B-E-A-U-tiful job!!!

I'm in for the duration on this one. Maybe when you're done - another year or so (nudge nudge) - I'll have an airhead of my own.

2003 BMW R1150GS
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #164
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
Just caught your thread...B-E-A-U-tiful job!!!

I'm in for the duration on this one. Maybe when you're done - another year or so (nudge nudge) - I'll have an airhead of my own.
Thanks mcstark! You'll definitely have to post some photos of your airhead when you get it - who knows, maybe I'll actually have ridden an airhead by the time you buy one!

My record-keeping was starting to wane a bit, so I figured I'd better update this thread. The parts that I was trying to buy when my payment got lost finally arrived a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do much since, but I'm in a good position to get things rolling again.

So though it's not as far as I would like to be, here's what I have got done:

Here's the box of parts from BMW Hucky. Hard to see, but there's quite a lot in there. Hans does a great job of packing. The biggest dollar item in there is the brand-spanking-new stainless steel headers. Pricey, but I'm glad I didn't skimp.

The front fender brace came back from the chrome plater, so I slapped it on:

I put the fork tube rubbers on:

At the recommendation of a good friend, Enzorover, I decided to add more grease to the bearings that I had installed thus far. So, I went and bought this little guy to make sure it was right this time:

Then I removed and re-greased the steering head bearings and removed the swingarm and re-greased the bearings in there as well:

And with the new shipment I finally had the gasket I needed to mount up the final drive:

I greased the final drive splines up and put it all together. I'm probably going to have to redo it though. I thought the grease I went with would be a good choice (Lucas Red 'N Tacky), but I've read info since that suggests otherwise. I'll have to clean them up and get some good moly grease.

I pulled the new axles out to compare new to old. Here are the rears, with the new stainless one on the bottom:

And here are the front axles:

And remember these?

I decided it was time to clean them up. I've had good luck with this high-heat ceramic paint in the past:

Luckily I'm the main cook in the house, otherwise these next steps probably wouldn't have been too popular with the misses. I grabbed a good cookie tray and covered it with alumimum foil:

Then I painted them, about 10 separate coats in all:

Then I fired up the oven and brought it to 350 degrees for a half hour bake:

My report is a bit chronolgically out of order - while the house proceeded to smell like a paint shop for the next half hour, I went back to the garage and greased some bearings. Half an hour later, my meal was ready!

The end result:

My intent was to take some light sand paper and sand over the emblems so the paint was removed from the high points - giving back the original appearance. But, the all-black look has grown on me and now I'm not sure which way to go. On one hand, I like the all black. The whole bike in general will be a bit darker and sleeker than a stock one. It will have black rims, no chrome battery covers, the new shocks have black springs instead of the chrome stockers, etc, etc. The all black emblems may play into that look very well. On the other hand, I liked how the emblems looked before. Any input is greatly appreciated. Worse case I may just try sanding them and see how it turns out. The entire painting process took me 40 mintues, and that was with the 30 minute bake!

And finally, I saved the best for last. The painter finished up with my tank (painting the black stripes and installing the chrome panels) and it looks freaking fantastic! See for yourself:

And that's where she sits for now! Still waiting on my laced wheels to be ready. The stainless spokes have taken longer to come in than anticipated. I'm really looking forward to having a roller again. At this point I'll probably sit on the frame and ride it down the driveway just to feel the damn bike move!

Thanks for watching!

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 05:27 PM
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #165
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

I'm speechless.. I think I can see your neighbor across the street in the reflection of that crisp paint and chrome!

Friggin wow!

KLRUSERIOUS? screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 08:33 AM