***** 2006 Sachs MADASS 50cc *****

***** 19?? BSA Bantam D7 FREE Bike Resto *****

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem"
grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks to all for the support! This is going to be fun for me. As I get older, I'm finding that I really only value things that have sentimental value. I usually take the long road to realizing this though. Case in point, my other bad habit is guitars. I've bought and sold over 25 guitars in the last couple of years. I've just recently slimmed the herd down to just a few special instruments. My favorite is still my first electric - a 1991 Fender Strat that my dad surprised me with for my 13th birthday. The BMW will be similar. It means more to me than any other motorcycle could. I'm looking forward to making the bike pristine again and then enjoying it until I go the way of Papa, and then leaving it for my kids. I'll be honest, I kind of wish Papa had gone for an R75/5, but I'm certainly not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

I have a few more photos. When I gave it more thought I realized that I done more to the bike than I had previously indicated or recorded here. Certainly nothing major, but still worth documenting. I bought a new air filter, European low handlebars, a new steering dampener knob, new throttle cables, new clutch cable, and of course carb rebuild kits.

Here she sits in her new garage. She now has a whole garage bay dedicated to her. Don't mind the mess - I'm still slowly moving in and unpacking.

Here are the new bars and the new (still uninstalled) steering dampener knob.

I'm still on the fence about the European low bars. I like the overall shape and look, but I think they're too narrow for me. I'm used to dirt bikes and supermotos and I like flat, low, and wide bars. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. I made my first mistake almost instantly out of the gate - I bought a pair of 7/8" drag bars off of eBay for the bike. I of course then learned about the 22mm controls on BMW bars. It was a cheap mistake ($20) and now I know to research or ask before buying something I'm unsure about. I'm tempted to try to make custom bars like the ones I bought, because they looked and felt perfect for the bike.

Certain lines of this bike really grab me. I love the view from the back rear corner, and viewing the tank from behind. Nice, clean lines! I actually have a great example to work with too. Sure it needs paint, chrome, and tons of other little details, but it will not need body work. I couldn't even find one small dent in the tank.

I also polished/brushed the brake and clutch levers. They had some pitting that I got rid of. Before and after:

And here's the carb that's giving me problems. Everything seems to be OK upon inspection. I'll tear it down further in the next few days. Those floats are pretty rough looking, I'm wondering if they don't quite float like they used to. I'll also check the float valve. Thanks to forum members for helping me determine what to look for!

That's all for now, hopefully more soon...

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,636
About those cheapo 3/4" bars... you can make them work. There is but a very slight difference: you may have to sand down the bars, or sand out the perches (do NOT try to "expand" them...), but many have had success adapting 3/4" bars to the BMW controls.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I actually tried, and it seemed like it was going to take a lot of work so I gave up. Before I gave up, I took the bars to a few machine shops hoping they could do something, but since the bars already bends in them, they couldn't be placed in a lathe. I'm thinking of getting some aluminum tubing, having the ends cut down to 22mm, and then bending them myself.

If I still had those cheapo drag bars I'd give it another shot, but I got so frustrated (and tore them up trying to reduce the size just a bit in multiple interesting but not so effective ways) that I through them out.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
I don't know much about /5's, but I'm in St Charles, MO if you ever need someone to swing by and turn a wrench.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks crazydrummerdude, I appreciate the offer!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #22
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Need some help on trouble shooting. As I mentioned before, my left carb is filling up and pissing gas. I've had the following suggestions:

1. Be sure it's note a nicked fuel line running to the carb. I'm sure it's not - I just installed new fuel lines and I know the carb is over filling and draining from the vent tube.

2. Could be that the float is not floating anymore.

3. Could be that the needle valve assembly is not sealing.

4. Others?

My question is how do I tell which one it is? I've disassembled the carb more, but I don't know how to check all of the parts. The needle valve assembly seems fine, the floats look a bit old, but seem OK.

Any suggestions? A few photos, and I'm happy to add more if it will help with a diagnosis.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

UPDATE:

I ran a little experiment, and think that I've proven to myself that it's not the needle valve. I ran some clean fuel line to the carb and filled it with water. Then I used my finger and with little pressure I could stop the flow of water through the needle valve. I realize gas is a bit thinner than water, but I still don't think the needle valve is leaking.

So now what? Check the float level? Floats don't seem heavy or damaged in any way..

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
UPDATE:

I ran a little experiment, and think that I've proven to myself that it's not the needle valve. I ran some clean fuel line to the carb and filled it with water. Then I used my finger and with little pressure I could stop the flow of water through the needle valve. I realize gas is a bit thinner than water, but I still don't think the needle valve is leaking.

So now what? Check the float level? Floats don't seem heavy or damaged in any way..
Man, I don't know much about carbs but I do know looks can be deceiving. I was getting a dreadful 30 mpg, couldn't figure out the problems. Float levels were fine, but just for shits and giggles I replaced the needle valves. Instant 40 mpg. You just never know
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #25
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Give those bars a chance,you may grow to like them.Cool project,good luck.
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 976
Check out the "Pine-Sol degreaser" thread over in The Garage---it can't hurt to give both carbs a good 3-day soaking---the stuff works wonders!

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
jrunberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Those are some old looking floats

Can't believe I'm the first one in on this, but those floats look like something out of a horror movie. They're supposed to be white, and when they're brown and old and nasty it means they sink more than they should and let too much fuel in the bowl and over your foot.

Replace the floats. Hucky has them. And while they're expensive you'll be one step closer to riding the thing.

A couple things that were mentioned to me...
1) do a COMPLETE rebuild and make sure all the varnish is gone, gone, gone. You mentioned 2yrs since the bike was left in the yard but not how long before that it was run.
2) The (new) floats should be aligned correctly. The Bing manual has instructions or you can find online. Basically, the float arm should be parallel to the carb bottom when just barely touching the float needle.
3) Replace those gas lines. No matter what they look like they're toast. The ethanol in modern gas eats them alive and while they may hold gas now they'll surely leak later. Line is cheap (get it from a VW place... NOT the local FLAPS

The only reasons I've read / understood the bike would be peeing on you would be covered by the above.
jrunberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #28
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagando View Post
Check out the "Pine-Sol degreaser" thread over in The Garage---it can't hurt to give both carbs a good 3-day soaking---the stuff works wonders!
Thanks for the lead, Zagando! I hadn't seen that before, I will definitely put them in a multi day Pine-Sol soak!

Thanks for the detailed response, jrunberg. I just replaced the fuel lines, so that's done. I'll go through everything else you said. It looks like it's time to get some floats from Hans. I might as well replace the needle valves too since they're cheap. I'll do some researching on aligning the floats correctly once I have all the parts in hand.

Thanks again!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #29
vicster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
Lovin' the thread. I've had BMWs of the /2, /6, /7 ilk, but have never even ridden a /5. Thinking I'll learn a little here.

Did you ever get the title? As others have mentioned I would make that a priority. Between family members, state DMV and estate laws, it could be quite a mine field.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #30
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 707
Neat thread.