User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #286
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,111
looking good

that an excellent job you're doing there, backdrifter.

good to see someone's making progress while I sit in front of the computer

thanks for the inspiration

Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #287
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
She's actually really excited about the project since the bike belonged to her grandfather. BUT, we recently found out she's pregnant....
Hey, congrats! Maybe a boy to take possession of the bike someday?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #288
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 530
Ive just sat down and read this thread in the last 3 days. What an amazing build you are doing!
Well done and congratulations to you and your wife on the news of an upcoming baby!

Subscribed!
rat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #289
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks gents!

assquatch20 - Maybe a boy, not sure. But if so, he'll have to fight it out with his older sister. My four year old daughter is already in love with the bike!

rat110 - thanks so much for the congrats, and for reading along!

I had a few (cold) hours in the garage today. Honestly, the only reason I quit when I did was because I was worried I might be going too fast to be taking my time and make sure I'm doing everything right. If you guys seen anything suspicious, please let me know!

I started by cleaning up the starter so I could reinstall it. I was going to paint it, but you have to choose your battles, and I've decided to wait. It's far too cold outside right now to be painting, and I don't want to bring it inside, again, on account of the pregnant wife.

Cleaned up:

Next I installed the timing cover and gasket:

Then onto the alternator and advance unit. The mounting flange of the stator housing had corroded some, so I cleaned it up with a wire brush and then put some anti sieze around the lip.

And then for the first time, I was to the point where I could reconnect some electrical connections, so out came this stuff:

I cleaned all of the leads and applied the dialetric grease to them.

I skipped a few steps here in my photo taking, but I spent more time than I should have installing a new o-ring for the points compartment. I hate square o-rings! Front cover on, timing cover after Rub N' Buff:

Next the starter went in. It just doesn't fit in as-is, so I know I'll have to paint it when it gets warmer out.

Then the starter cover:

And the right side:

Then onto the cylinders. Starting to get the left cylinder mounted:

Compression and nose ring in, working on the oil seal:

I was having trouble until I searched the forum and read some great advice - use popsicle sticks to compress the rings. My wife and daughter are crazy crafters, so I went inside and grabbed a few popsicle sticks. Man, what a difference! Easy as pie!

Which is good, because when I got the right side, I did this. Anyone notice the problem?

Yep, forgot the base gasket! Much better now:

And where she currently sits:

I want to make sure I read up thoroughly on installing the pushrod seals and base gasket before going that far, so that's where I am for now. I'm hoping to have the cylinders completely installed by tomorrow.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #290
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

By the way, not to beat a dead horse further, but the cylinders have not had Rub N' Buff applied yet - they are just good, clean, raw aluminum. I think the last two photos show how close the Rub N' Buff comes to the natural color.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #291
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 152
Not sure, but way back in this post:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=273

it looks like some carbon buildup on the piston. Yes? Easier cleaned before the cylinders go back on?
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #292
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 196
I'm confused

I haven't removed the cylinders from my Toaster yet but I was wondering if there are neoprene O rings on each stud where they meet the engine housing and whether there is another large O ring at the base of the cylinder itself? I know they are on later model airheads but can't see them in your photos.

I know the push rod tube seals eventually leak and have noticed a mysterious part number 07589062376 called 'Sealing compound Drei Bond 1209' in some cylinder assembly diagrams. The reference is ambiguous. Are we to believe this compound is for these push rod seals? I hope they don't mean it's for the valve covers. Anyone know what it's for?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #293
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

mattsz - thanks, you're absolutely right, I do still need to clean the piston dome off. I've already installed the cylinders, so I'll need to go back and brush them sometime soon.

Tin Woodman - I think some of the older models do have the o-ring seals. If I recall right, the o-rings around the engine studs came in late 1975, and the large o-ring was late 1979. But the /5's just have a metal base gasket. Not sure about the Drei bond, though I've heard of that name before. I used a Permatex Anaerobic Gasket maker spread very lightly on both sides of the base gaskets and on the bore of the engine block where the push rod seals mount. We'll see how that works out once I start the bike up!

I had a few free hours after dinner, so I went back out.

Right cylinder ready for the head gasket:

And on (sorry for the blurry photos, not sure what I was doing)

Head on:

Left side on:

I was glad I had taken such good notes when disassembling. I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that it's best to reassemble the push rods in the same spots and positions as they had been. Hard to read here, but I marked them each with right or left cylinder, intake or exhaust side, and with an arrow pointing out which end went to the engine and which went towards the valves:

Left side with pushrods and rockers mounted, everything torqued to spec:

And both done:

Cold and tired once again, so I decided to call it a night. I didn't get a picture, but I did install the spark plugs just before I went in - just in case I decide to go for a ride in the morning!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #294
Renner
infamous wrench

excellent

and, IMO the grips look oddly anachronistic on a /5.
having not read all of your thread, I searched on grips and received this one return:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzorover View Post
I don't guess you have the original hand grips do you?

seriously, it's great seeing your beemer coming together.
There's a cover for the nose of the starter, held in place by a wire that's captured under those nose-bolt nuts.
Perhaps you've seen it on the fiche or have it lying about somewhere. Your toaster certainly deserves that detail.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #295
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
Thumb

...boy she looks really really nice.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #296
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Rapid Dog!

Renner - I didn't know about the starter cover, thanks for the advice! I'll have to check eBay for one. No, I don't have the stock handgrips. The ones on the bike (look back to the first few pages) were these big nasty foam grips that I couldn't stand. They weren't in good enough shape to keep anyway.

I actually bought the grips on the bike because the St. Louis BMW dealer told me they were the stock grips on the /5 bikes. Is this incorrect? I'm actually not a huge fan of them. I'd rather go with something thin with no padding. I like thin handgrips - the thinner the better.

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 12:27 PM
Old 12-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #297
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Out to the garage again for a few hours. I didn't get any pictures of the start, but I had to install the engine spacers. In my haste, I forgot to find them and install them on the engine mounting studs when we installed the engine. A little help from the floor jack made it easy work. Then I mounted the center stand springs. I had inserted the spark plugs last time, and now I mounted the valve covers and gaskets, but only finger tight as I'll be messing with the valves quite a bit as I get everything set up.

Right side. The marks on the covers are just remnants of masking tape from when I considered painting the engravings on the valve covers. I'll have to clean them off soon.

Mounted the kickstart lever:

Then it was onto cleaning up the foot pegs, so I could torque down the engine studs. Here's how they looked after a shot of some engine greaser and 10 minutes sitting time:

Then after the wire brush attachment:

Removing the old footpeg rubbers:

Rubberless footpeg installed on the right side:

Installing the foot rubbers with a rubber mallet:

I used a large socket to get the rubbers over the round end of the footpegs.

Then it was on to finger painting fun with Rub N' Buff again. Applied to the right one, not yet to the left.

I pulled out the new air filter. This was part of the first order I placed - years ago, back when I thought I would just slap an air filter and new oil filter in and go for a ride. I think I would've thrown up back then if I knew how much work I was in for!

I started to install the airfilter covers:

But it had been so long since I had last done so that I had forgotten about how this nut holds the right side cover on, and how the breather tube ran through the housing. Fixed it.

And done for the day!

One quick question - the kickstart lever when fully depressed makes contact with the frame - is that normal? If it is, I'm sure I didn't care before, but now that the frame is shiny and new, I'll have to figure out how to mount a bump stop of some sort.

Thanks for reading along!

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 12:32 PM
Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #298
Renner
infamous wrench

you'll be happy to hear I bought my first tube of Rub 'n Buff last night, Pewter.

honestly I was regretting my previous post mentioning the potential for additional parts = expenses, what with a baby on the way for you & your wonderfully patient wife, so it's good to hear your of interest.

These are the grips

available at: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51885&rnd=08102012

right p/n 32 72 1 230 868 $15
left p/n 32 72 1 230 407 $15.75

you'll notice the right grip can be had with the throttle tube included for $33.11, if that's needed.
These are thin... another reason to regret mentioning them earlier but I like them and now believe you will too.
The grip pattern is more similar to the footpeg rubber than those you have currently, which are more '80s era AFAIK

Regarding the starter cover & clip (p/n 11 14 1 255 793; 11 14 1 337 171)($24.94; $8.98) I would first ask at http://www.re-psycle.com/ if you're interested in shopping for good-used parts.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #299
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Awesome, thanks for the great info, Renner! I definitely like those grips more than mine. I've seen them before, but I didn't know they were OEM grips for my bike. I'll definitely have to get my hands on some at some point! And congrats on your first tube of RNB! I can't wait to hear what you think - I hope I didn't mislead you!

Well, it's just one of those days - snowy, laid-back, grey, dreary, and relaxed - the kind of day that just begs you to brew a pot of coffee and head out to the garage to get more accomplished!

Nothing major this time, but I wanted to mount the headers. I bought the stainless ones from BMW Hucky. Here's the crossover pipe:

Right header installed:

Left header and crossover installed:

And here she sits now!

I may have to adjust them some - it seemed like the header outlets weren't quite pointing in the same directions. I'll play with it more later.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 12-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #300
Renner
infamous wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I may have to adjust them some - it seemed like the header outlets weren't quite pointing in the same directions. I'll play with it more later.
ya-know... it always takes a bit of fussing to get all just right.

yet having the parts on the bike is a big step forward... as you're demonstrating.