Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #316
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Never seen those paper sleeves before. Somebody put them on the intakes to protect them? If you take them off the rubber for the intake/carb connection will probably fit.
I don't think so. They're on the cylinder side, not the intake side. I don't know much about them, but they were on my R60/6 carbs - they stayed in the carbs, rather than on the heads when I separated the two:

I couldn't see how to remove them without destroying them, so I ignored them. The carbs disassembled, cleaned up, and reassembled just fine...
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #317
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks gents. Mattsz, mine looks exactly like yours, but my sleeves obviously stuck to the heads. I just checked and BMW Hucky calls these "insulating sleeves" (part number 13 11 1 255 975) for R50/5 and R60/5-7 only. Interesting!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #318
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 156
Used only on that Bing slide carb, I guess...
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #319
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,991
Oops. Once again the slide carb/R60 set up. I don't have those is my problem. I have different bike.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #320
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 196
just mounted my carbs yesterday so it's still fresh in my mind. The fibre seals/insulators should slide off the intake stubs or out of the carbs quite easily however yours are now destroyed. While waiting for new ones from Hucky, you may want to remove the stubs and clean them up a bit. Mine were pretty dirty both inside and out. I wire brushed the threads then cleaned the insides with a plumbers round wire brush. I cleaned out the female threads on the head with acetone then reinstalled the stubs with copper anti-seize. There is a massive controversy brewing over whether to use silver or copper anti-seize - I was ultimately convinced by a former US Navy jet mechanic to go with the latter. I believe attention to detail at this stage will help to avoid intake leaks and red herrings. I made a simple tool for getting the stubs on and off and it works like a charm.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #321
enzorover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Forgive my ignorance, but why is it ruined? It's just a gasket, right? Seems to me it's pretty well stuck to the engine side so maybe just slop* a little RTV around it and tighten down the band clamp.

*by slop, I mean put just enough to insure a good seal and wipe off the excess.

enzorover screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 05:52 PM
enzorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #322
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

That's what I was starting to think too, Enzorover. The sleeves/gaskets are still in good shape and I slid the carbs on and they fit very snuggly. I see no reason not to reuse them, am I missing something?

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:11 PM
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #323
Tin Woodman
Mike

didn't mean to alarm but the insulators look a little fuzzy and I thought you had already hit them with the dremel wheel. The carbs would probably appreciate crisply defined insulator tubes because the carb throat only constricts marginally when you clamp them. No sense over tightening to make them seal and overstressing the carb body. If you bond them to the stubs at this point, you won't be able to remove the stubs for examination if you ever want to. I may be completely wrong of course but I have seen other rebuilds in this forum go sideways when it came time to tune the carburetors. I'm always worried about leaks when it comes to carburetion.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #324
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks for the follow-up, TW, that certainly makes sense. Luckily I had not ran the Dremel on the sleeves, and they actually look pretty good. I've got some time to play with before I'm actually riding the bike, so I'll play with it as is and order the sleeves if necessary.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #325
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Out to the garage again for some miscellaneous odds and ends.

I bought some black Rub N' Buff today. I wanted to try it on the clutch and brake lever perches, and also use it to cover this nasty scratch that I managed to put in the swingarm because I didn't cover it while installing the engine :

After the RNB:

Sorry the photo is out of focus. The RNB certainly helped, but you can still see it pretty well. Still, any improvement is worthwhile, so I move on.

Clutch perch before:

And after:

It cleaned them up a bit and made them shinier, but I'm not satisfied with the overall result, so I'll end up painting them or having them powder coated in the future.

I wanted to mount the coils, the starter relay, and the voltage regulator and get them all wired up. The starter relay and voltage regulator were no problem. I'm really glad I took the time to label everything properly, it made wiring much easier.

Unfortunately, I didn't do the same for the headlight bucket. My painter had called and told me he could squeeze me in if I took my parts in that afternoon, so rather than properly labeling every wire, I just ripped everything out and headed up there. I'm NOT looking forward to the rat's nest in the headlight bucket!

Done:

And done:

Onto the coils, but they're going to need some cleaning up:

As it turns out, so will the brackets:

I start with the brackets. I clean them up to see what I'm dealing with:

They don't seem like they'll shine up easily, so I decide to paint them. I like to go with this paint for jobs like this:

Crappy picture, but after the first coat. They're still drying. I'll apply three or four more coats and call it good.

While I'm painting, I decide to grab the header hanger brackets and scruff them up and paint them too. I think black would look nice for these, and mine look poor enough that I don't expect them to clean up too well.

Too my surprise, though, I'm wrong and they look amazing after some degreaser, hot water and soap, and steel wool, so I decide not to paint them:

BMW has a "R" for right and an "L" for left stamped into these. I'm not quite sure why - they look symmetrical to me. Anyone know why?

And now it's family time, so no more progress for now. I'm *hoping* to start into the rat's nest in the headlight bucket this week. Wish me luck, I'm truly dreading it.....

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 11:53 AM
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #326
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

And for no other reason than I'm starting to enjoy photographing the bike, I'll end with a few gratuitous pics that have absolutely nothing to do with the minor progress I made today!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #327
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
... wiring ... I'm NOT looking forward to the rat's nest in the headlight bucket!
... *hoping* to start ... this week. Wish me luck, I'm truly dreading it.....
You may actually have fun with this.

Fortunately for us, German automotive wiring been codified for quite a while as DIN 72552.
Go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DIN_standards and scroll all the way to the bottom to find it.
Click on it and it shows the meaning behind the tiny numbers on the electrical components found near the spade terminals.

Joe 'Cuda' has an article on the ABC site which describes wire color coding conventions. I hope this link works for you.

http://www.airheads.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=302:wiring-color-codes&catid=12&Itemid=140

Things like used wiring looms like to return to where they once belonged. With some luck & attention the harness will offer plenty of clues.

I read somewhere that painting the headlamp bucket's interior white helps.
so I tried it... and found it helpful.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #328
Tin Woodman
Mike

You may want to grind the powder coating off the frame where the coil mounting bracket meets the frame to ensure a good ground. And expose the metal on the mounting bracket itself where the ground wire is attached.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #329
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,991
I think you have to log in which means you have to be a member of the ABC to view the Joe Cuda article. You might find the info else where.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #330
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think you have to log in...
I see, you're right.