Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #331
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think you have to log in which means you have to be a member of the ABC to view the Joe Cuda article. You might find the info else where.
Which is OK really. I'm a member. so everybody else should be also.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #332
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
More baby steps today. I'm not sure what happened, but my motivation to go out and spend hours in the cold garage has vanished. So I do litle by little. Maybe it's because the temps have dropped some, or maybe it's because the work has changed from large, gratifying, mechanical chores (installing the the engine and new parts into the engine) to small, tedius, electrical ones. I suspect the latter. Regardless, it must be done, so let's go.

So I start cleaning the ignition coils and brackets.

Before:

And after. Not perfect, but much better:

I do at times realize the silliness and futility of going out of my way to sand and paint items such as the ignition coils to make them look better, but they just look so out of place if I don't do it. So I do, or I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Then I find the nicely packaged and labeled fastener kit for the ignition coils. Again, I can't say enough good about BMW Hucky's fastener kit. Talk about a time saver!

For the first time in the entire project, this had to come out:

I've been very impressed with the masking work my powder coater did. Everything that should be covered is, and anything that shouldn't, isn't. I started to screw in the rear bolt for the right side ignition coil bracket and felt some resistance. Honestly, I can't even be sure that it was powder coat in there. The bike was so dirty, grimy, and in such a state of disrepair that it could have been anything. Found the 6mm tap and cleaned up the threads:

Between Rub N' Buff and antisieze, the poor bike has had more silver residue on it than I care to remember. And looks like a dog hair for good measure!

Fortunately, it all comes off very easily.

I still need to clean off the leads, which I plan to do with a Dremel tool and a light wire brush attachment. Looking back at this post, that's a lot of freaking pics of the ignition coils. Maybe I need to cut back on my photos a bit... Hell, if I had put the camera down months ago, I might have been done by now!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 11:04 AM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #333
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 78
Sometimes you just have to let it go for awhile

I just came across your thread, excellent, also enjoy how you've invited all to help you with the project. I am finishing up a resurection of a 1972 R75. her biggest problem was spending to much time just sitting, lots of gummed up stuff and leaky seals etc. Just finished the engine and frame (steering head and swing arm bearings) and now to the headlight bucket. Today I decided i was not in the mood to work on her, then I felt bad that I was not progressing on the project until i read this quote "When stuck or frustrated, clean your work bench." Which I did and found a small bolt I had been searching for. Now I can't wait until after work tomorrow to get back to it! Hope the quote works for many of you as it did for me.
Regards,
Kurt
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #334
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I know what you mean, Kurt! Really early on in this thread I lost the little ball bearing that retains the key when you insert it in the ignition. I pushed the key in way to hard using my fist, and the entire ignition assembly came apart, sending pieces flying into the open headlight bucket below. I heard the ball bearing go bouncing across the floor and looked for what seemed like hours, but I never found it. Looking back at my photos it would've been somewhere around page 4, which shows it was approximately February, 2011. Oh how time flies.

Fast forward to the end of 2012, and I decided to clean out and rearrange the garage so I could fit both cars, the Jet Ski, and the BMW project in for winter. I'm cleaning up, I look down at the floor on the other side of the garage and guess what I see? Yep, the ball bearing. Sealed it in a baggie and still have it waiting for installation.

Yep, sometimes it's just best to sit back and take a break from the project for a bit.

PS - where can we see some pics of your toaster?

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #335
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Time to start facing my fears!

A huge thanks to Renner, who sent me all of this great reference info:

I had planned on wheeling the bike into the house so I could work in good lighting and comfort. That was until I measured the width of the bike and the width of the front door. It would fit, but it was going to be close. That coupled with the fact that there is still ice on my walkway and two large steps that I would have to push the bike up persuaded me to work in the garage instead. Too bad, because I already had the lastest Dakar update on and ready to watch in the background!

Instead, this ended up being my workspace for the evening.

I had to clean up my tool cart. Being a makeshift home for the engine over the last year had resulted in a lot of dirt, grease, and old bolts accumulating on it.

Then I put all the wiring and reference papers on it and got started.

New versus old switch cover:

Installed:

I started trying to reassemble the terminal board and immediately dropped the assembly and lost the contact bushing as it shot across the garage floor. What a perfect start! I grabbed a beer and a flashlgiht and soon found it.

Terminal board mounted. I HATE this design. As much as I love the overall design of this bike, I can't believe they use bent mounting tabs to hold this in place. I find it idiotic, and honestly, I'm a bit embarrased by how long it took me to get this assembled again. It would go much quicker if I had to do it again now. I swear that's how this whole project has gone, and I could do another in a fraction of the time that it's taken me to work on this one!

Rest of the wiring harness back in the headlight bucket:

Starting to wire the harness to the frame.

I forgot to take a picture, but the starter relay is all done.

And this is where I left it for tonight.

The wiring doesn't seem like it will be as bad as I've been thinking. It's nowhere near done, but I'm cautiously optimistic now!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #336
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quick question for the knowledgeable inmates here:

How similar would the headlight wiring in a '74 R90/6 be to the headlight wiring in my '73 R60/5 LWB?

I may have access to an R90/6 that I could borrow for a few days to use as a reference for rewiring. Thanks in advance!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #337
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Quick question for the knowledgeable inmates here:

How similar would the headlight wiring in a '74 R90/6 be to the headlight wiring in my '73 R60/5 LWB?

I may have access to an R90/6 that I could borrow for a few days to use as a reference for rewiring. Thanks in advance!
The R90/6 has a completely different and much more complicated wiring system.......... Find a good wiring diagram and follow it, it's not that difficult really
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #338
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Hmmmm.... I've started down that path already but was REALLY hoping for the easy way out!

Thanks for the quick response!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #339
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Just a quick bump for some assistance. I just started another thread requesting some help with headlight wiring questions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #340
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Just a quick bump for some assistance. I just started another thread requesting some help with headlight wiring questions. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
And here it is:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854951
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #341
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks mattsz! It probably would've helped to post a link to it, huh? Sorry, it was late and I wasn't thinking straight.

I'm moving on to wiring the frame up, but any help on the issues in the thread here would be greatly appreciated!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #342
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Well, it's time to update this. I've been pretty productive this weekend, but I haven't updated as frequently as I normally do. I know myself, if I let myself get too far behind, I'll get lazy and abandon the build thread rather than face the work of catching up, so I'd better just stay on top of it!

I knew I would be spending hours on wiring this weekend, so I decided to go ahead and bring the old girl into the comfort of the house. Her temporary (just ask my wife!) home:

What I had accomplished before this weekend:

My set up and one of my dogs wondering what the hell I was up to!

Baby steps, but some progress:

A brown/black mystery wire that is still causing me concern:

I got as far as I could, and then started a separate thread here asking for help:

A huge thanks to bmweuro and Big Bamboo for their assistance. I really don't know what I would do without this site! After posting the help thread and while waiting for replies, I moved on to wiring the frame and associated work. I had to clean up the horn before I could mount and wire it. Honestly, I expected to need to buy a new horn down the road, but it cleaned up really nicely.

Before (sorry for the blur, I was trying to focus on the pitting):

Getting there:

Beautiful!

Then I needed to paint the horn bracket. I decided to paint a few other pieces while at it.

Down to the "paint booth":

Sprayed:

I also cleaned up and painted these fender braces and the steering dampener plate (sorry, no after shots yet):

I didn't see a need to replace the wiring harnesses. All of my wiring is in great shape, just dirty. So I spent some time scrubbing each harness before installing it.

Main harness in place loosely, spark plug wires in place:

Taillight wires pulled through the subrame. I was worried about this - I really thought it was going to be hard to push these wires back through the subframe, but it went very smoothly.

Starter wired:

Polished up horn and newly painted bracket mounted:

Speedo cable installed:

Hard to see here, but wires are tidied up some with zip ties:

And that's where I stand for now. Still working out a few concerns on the headlight wiring, but getting closer. I'm not really happy with the headlight wiring right now, but my main concern is just to get everything connected. Next time I need a project - maybe next winter - I'll go back in and try to make it as tidy as some of the amazing examples I've seen on this site (bpeckm's comes to mind immediately, as does elite-less' latest proejct). I don't see any reason I shouldn't be able to try firing her up within the next week or so. I need to buy a battery, and I need new muffler clamps, but other than that, things are looking pretty good!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #343
sky44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
wow that looks awesome. getting very close, can't wait to see it done!
sky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 AM   #344
mattsz
moto-gurdyist

Oddometer: 129
I love that you've already got your mirror installed! I'm sure I would have done the same thing! Too bad the cylinder base gasket sealer is orange... they should make it rub'n'buff colored...

Looks fantastic, keep 'er coming!!!
mattsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #345
RobboJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Great thread, watching it get nearer to completion is excellent
RobboJ is offline   Reply With Quote