User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #346
gertiektn
KetchikanBeemer

Oddometer: 76
I have follwed from the start.

Just a note.. the coils might be better pointed aft,,, wet weather may affect performance. The coil bodies have to have perfect contact with the frame and holders.. meaning where they are clamped paint should be avoided. The clamps have to ground the bodies. On my bikes they are installed with the flats forward.

Have enjoyed the thread from the start.. I am about the same place in my rebuild on a R75/7.

Jim
2004 R1100S "RFAR 1"
No chains here!
gertiektn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #347
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello Jim,
I have to disagree with you ! The coils are wire grounded and do not need to be grounded at the body.
As they are oil filled you should ensure that no corrosion takes place hence the painting. Otherwise the body could pit and leak the oil (which is a nasty stuff by the way). You have just to ensure the contact with the clamps is good to conduct heat as much as it can.
Of course preventing the rubber boot and the plugs to get rain mist is a good thing.
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #348
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 84
YYup, coils are facing wrong direction

The coils need to be reversed. I can't really say they are facing the right or the wrong direction, hey, they don't have a face...
The connectors should be facing to the rear. Probably the most logical reason is rain water running down the high tension wire and into the coil.
Looks good!
Regards,
Kurt
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #349
Max Headroom
lost in the '70s

Oddometer: 512
I've been riding airheads for only 28 years, so I'm still learning stuff. This "coil facing the rear" thing is a new one on me though.

Personally, I can only think of two scenarios where the forward facing connections *could* be an issue. One would be if the rider decided to ride in the rain without a fuel tank, and the other would be if the rider decided to partially submerge the bike in a stream or lake,although there could be other consequences too . . . .

The coils are well protected from the elements under the fuel tank, and their relative position matters very little providing the H/T leads are fitted with the appropriate rubber boots IMHO. Having ridden through many torrential storms over the years without the least concern for the coils getting wet, I really can't see a problem.

'Skills are learned, talent is ornate.' Billie
Max Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #350
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I mounted the coils forward, as shown, because that's how they were when I removed them. I've seen a lot of other photos of them facing forward. Mounting them backwards makes some sense, but as I have everything currently run, I'm not sure if I have enough length on a few wires (spark plug wires included) to reverse them. For the time being, I'm going to leave them as-is.

I do plan to grind some paint away from the brackets, and a bit of the powdercoating on the frame right under the brackets (you'll never see it) for better grounding. I'll add a bit of dielectric grease to keep the elements out and prevent oxidation.

Thanks agian!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #351
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I do plan to grind some paint away from the brackets, and a bit of the powdercoating on the frame right under the brackets (you'll never see it) for better grounding. I'll add a bit of dielectric grease to keep the elements out and prevent oxidation.

Thanks agian!
Hello !
No need to scrap this new paint. It will serve no purpose at all.
If you look at new coils of the same type, they are painted from top to toe. And if you look at the modern design they are even in a plastic housing ! (the crack-o-matic grey coil is one example).
So let your new paint in peace !
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #352
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Well, I've got about 20 things that I can think of left on the "to do" list before I can consider starting her. It's too damn cold out to the ride now anyway, so I'm not in a huge hurry, but I have decided to do at least one thing on the bike each day.

Unfortunately, I woke up at 4AM this morning to my baby girl throwing up. Some kind of bad stomach virus. Two hours later it hit my wife, and they're both out of commission. They had been sleeping for the last few hours, which gave me some time to work on the bike while I sit here like a ticking time bomb just waiting for the virus to get me.

Can you tell what I tackled tonight?

Sorry, I was lazy, so no "during" photos this time. I'm really happy with how these turned out.

And a few without the flash, but with a shaky hand.

Still gotta get that damn masking tape off of the valve cover:

I'm really happy with the length of these. Just a bit shorter than the stockers, I think they look really nice.

And that's it - only 19 more things on my list now!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #353
gertiektn
KetchikanBeemer

Oddometer: 76
OK.. I stand corrected...

The coils I bought are 6 volt aluminium clad and the body contact was critical due to the notches in the holders designed to bite the body.. so I figured wrong..and I stand corrected..

I do however live in rainy southeast Alaska rainforest.
Last year's reported rainfall of 144" for 12 months as dryer than average,,
Nice project result.
2004 R1100S "RFAR 1"
No chains here!
gertiektn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #354
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 196
Form follows function

For some reason, the designers were insistent on grounding the coil casing to the frame. It seems that's what the spur on the mounting bracket is for.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #355
Tin Woodman
Mike

Giving it more thought, the spurs might just be a mechanical grip. Subtle but apparently intentional. Hope you didn't get the flu. . .
Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #356
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
Hello !
No need to scrap this new paint. It will serve no purpose at all.
If you look at new coils of the same type, they are painted from top to toe. And if you look at the modern design they are even in a plastic housing ! (the crack-o-matic grey coil is one example).
So let your new paint in peace !
But the coil mounting bolts are often used as a grounding point on airheads, your /5 may be different
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #357
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
Hope you didn't get the flu. . .
Thanks! I got something, but only for a day or so. Not nearly as bad as my wife and daughter got it.

Speaking of, the two of them will be gone all weekend, so I should get lots done one the bike in the next few days. Look for some updates soon!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #358
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I worked on the bike all last night again. I didn't get as far as I expected, but I'm happy with where it sits. First I went shopping. I had to buy some of the fluids I'll need before starting her. I also needed hose clamps, an in-line fuse for initial start-up, and rubber bushings/gaskets for mounting the fenders. Once I got those, I came back home and:

- Cleaned up the handlebar wiring
- Installed the tachometer cable
- Set the points gap to .015"
- Mounted the fork and driveshaft hose clamps
- Mounted the carbs
- Ran the throttle cables
- Ran the clutch cable (still need to look at that - I have excessive slack, even when backed out all the way at the clutch lever)
- Mounted the tank and fenders

My writing is getting lazy, so here's some pictures.

Carbs:

Setting the points gap:

Installed my new battery that arrived two days ago. I went with a "replacement" for a Panasonic battery. It has a 2 year warranty and was $45, so I figured I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot. Also, a dumb reason to pick a battery I know, but it is black, which fits very well with the subdued tones of the bike.

Hose clamps on, throttle cables run, tank on:

Starting to make sense of the front wheel mounting hardware (using my daughter's pretty pink princess blanket to protect the fender):

Original BMW pinstriper's mark on the left, my painter's mark on the right next to it, and duct tape to hold the bolts in place while I mounted the brackets:

Front fender mounted:

On to the rear:

Then adding the seat for the full effect:

By then it was 12:30AM and I was tired, so I crashed. Here are some better photos in the morning light:

Let's go see what I can get done today!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 01-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #359
Tin Woodman
Mike

Wow!

You get more done in an evening than I do in a month! Just a note, I think you'll have to go with thinner clamps on the drive shaft boot - the ones you've installed may slide off or cut the boot. You knew we'd spot this.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #360
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I'm not normally that productive. If I were, this project wouldn't have taken me as long as it has!!!

Good eye on the hose clamps. They seemed a little big to me too, but they tightened down and seemed OK. I'll leave them be for now. I'm compiling a list of all the last stuff I'll need. Once I have that, I'll place another order with BMW Hucky. I'll put the proper hose clamps on my list and will swap them out soon. Thanks!

I think I overdid it last night and burnt myself out. Consequently, I didn't feel like working on it as rigorously today. I installed the petcocks with new strainers and ran the fuel lines. I had used cheap fuel line from Autozone last time, this time I got the good stuff from BMW Hucky (on the bottom).

I also installed the air inlet tubes, so now I have theoretically functional air and fuel delivery systems!

That's all I've got for now. I should be back tomorrow with a vengeance though!

1973 BMW R60/5: