Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #436
WhisperTheWind
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
You didn't fry the diode board when you shorted things out a while back, did you?
WhisperTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #437
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello Backdrifter,
Are you still here ?
Is the bike running ? We can't wait ! We need to know !
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #438
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Gents,

Thanks for all the follow-ups, comments, and suggestions, they are truly much appreciated!

I got very bogged down with new responsibilites at work recently, so I haven't touched the bike in nearly a month. Excuses, excuses.

But, I went out for 15 minutes today and I'm happy to say that I had a breakthrough. Remember the blue and yellow wire in the photo below?

I had it mounted in the right place. After speaking with some of you very knowledgeable inmates, we determined that for whatever reason, I have a 1974 starter switch on my 1973 bike. The wires are a bit different, and the 1973 would not have had the blue/yellow wire at all. So, I removed it from the ground that I had it mounted on in the photo above thinking it was unneeded. Turns out that was a bad assumption on my part! I'm not pretending to fully understand it, but it turns out it is needed. I have a fantastic reference sheet from Renner that descirbes what each color combo of wires does. When I saw that blue/yellow means a ground for the starter relay, it certainly seemed like a no brainer. I connected it back to the grounding bracket in the photo above, hit the starter, and heard a click, but nothing more. Took a closer look and realized I had forgotten to re-mount the black wire to the spade connector on the starter solenoid. Connected that as well, and lo-and-behold, she turned over! It still didn't seem like it was turning over well though. Not sure if the battery has sat in the cold garage for too long and needs a top off. It was a brand new battery, so I wouldn't think so, but I'll investigate further. I still need to get new carb float bowl o-rings before I can fire her again, but we're getting closer!

Thanks for all the support, guys!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166

backdrifter screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 01:40 PM
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #439
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Rochdale View Post
I think the fault lies with the wheel rims. Strip off the black powdercaoting and polish the rims. It'll be sure to fire up first time
You suck Paul!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 03-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #440
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
With ignition switch on, do the plugs spark when you kick the engine over manually with the kick starter?
I just tried starting the bike for kicks. I think the float bowl gaskets have actually swollen enough that they're sealing again. It turned over pretty well, but it would not start. I checked the spark as you suggested. I pulled on plug out at a time and rested it and grounded it on the aluminum cylinders. I hit the starter and cranked it, and did not see spark.

So, it looks like I have a separate spark issue as well. Any suggestions on where to begin looking for the root cause on this issue?

Edit, because I saw this mentioned in another similar thread: my neutral switch is not wired yet, would this matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperTheWind View Post
You didn't fry the diode board when you shorted things out a while back, did you?
I don't believe so. I had the same thought while still troubleshooting the starter. I had an extra diode board and both were good (last I knew). I swapped one out for the other and it didn't change anything.

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 01:51 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #441
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 186
I read somewhere the coils are good for 10 to 15 years. Mine are 40 years old so I'm not holding my breath although I checked their resistance and they're within spec. Glad to hear you're cranking - sounds like you're really close. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #442
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 186
Just noticed something

may be an optical illusion but check your page 20 photos and tell me you installed the spacer sleeve and o-ring under the rocker arm support on the cylinder heads. Should look like this -

without the sleeve -

Sorry if I'm wrong and alarmed you unnecessarily.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #443
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

Not a problem, later variety cast-in sleeves
Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #444
Flipczak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Yes, you need to connect your neutral switch to complete the circuit. Hook it up, pull in your clutch lever, hit the start button and smile at all your hard work.
Flipczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #445
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Flipczak! I'm not at home, so I can't check one these right now, but I have a few questions:

1. Would not having the neutral switch wired prevent the bike from creating spark at the plugs?

2. Is pulling the clutch in required to start the bike? I had not been doing this - I just had the bike in neutral.

I swear, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know!

Thanks again!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #446
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
1. Would not having the neutral switch wired prevent the bike from creating spark at the plugs?
no
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
2. Is pulling the clutch in required to start the bike?
No
not on a /5

the neutral switch is for the indicator-lamp, it's not a starter-interrupt switch.

the /5 starter relay should prevent starter actuation when the bike is running, but there's no switch to prevent starting with the bike in gear.

if the starter is turning the crank then there's no issues associated with that circuit.

The last time I worked on a bike that failed to spark, it was the (faulty) new condensor...
you're running a points-ignition still, yes? those are clean and dry?

Renner screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 11:32 AM
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #447
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Testing for a faulty condenser is easy. Unplug it and see if you have sparks. If yes, your condenser is faulty; If not, there is something miss wired on the ignition system.
Do not run the bike for extended period without the condenser otherwise you'll ruin your brand new set of points..... (the condenser is here to prevent the spark at the points spitting them )
you have to check also that when you put the front cover back you do not seize the ignition wire and ground it... Don not ask why I know....
You should finish this bike and conclude the tremendous work you've done. Spring is coming fast. And remember when you will ride her for the first time to be more than extra vigilant and run it low, calm and easy.... Excitation of the first run is prone to accidents....
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #448
Flipczak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
we determined that for whatever reason, I have a 1974 starter switch on my 1973 bike. The wires are a bit different, and the 1973 would not have had the blue/yellow wire at all.
It looks like you have some early /6 wiring in your headlight bucket. That blue/yellow wire connects to the starter cut-off switch and may be preventing a spark. Are you using a /5 starter relay? Did you read Snowbum's info on it? http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/slash5cricket.htm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter
I have no idea - if that's the case, I didn't know about it. What colors do you see that make you think that? Any input on my "left over" terminals and wires?

Thanks!

All of the left over wires. Blue/Yellow is part of the starting circuit(at starter relay) and brown yellow is part of the neutral cut off switch on a /6.

BMW Mad Scientist!
After looking at your pictures I noticed you do not have a clutch switch at the bar. Is your neutral light working?
Flipczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #449
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello !
What happened to our fellow inmate ?
Maybe it's bike has started and he is running it with a smile on his face ?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #450
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Busy life, busy work, not enough free time, frustrated, excuses, excuses, excuses.

Sadly, I did not have the bike running when you last posted, georgesgiralt. But I went out again today, and voila!

Wooohooooo!!!!!

1973 BMW R60/5: