Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #91
mykill
odd

Oddometer: 1,157
36mm socket for the fork tubes. You need to grind away the face of the socket to be rid of the taper. The tool from the toolkit works well.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #92
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks mykill, I appreciate your input. I forgot about the tool kit - went to go check it, and unfortunately, I don't have that tool. No worries, I just bought a 36mm socket and kept moving.

Here's how she looks now:

Out of curiosity, I tried using a hand drill and wire attachment to clean the front engine cover. It works, as shown below, but I'm assuming this isn't the best or right way to do this. It seemed a bit tough on the aluminum and I would imagine I should stick to bead-blasting, but I'd appreciate any thoughts or input on this.

Waiting to get the cylinders and heads back, and hopefully everything will be off to the powder coater in the next day or two.

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #93
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
There are some acid based boat hull cleaners, that will remove the corrosion, then hit it with steel wool, and hot soapy water. After that you can try a little polish, or go with some "Rub n Buff" in silver
Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #94
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Houseoffubar. I just read about the rub n' buff stuff. Sounds interesting. Does it come off easily? It seems like it would wear away if it is wax based.

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #95
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quick question, while I'm waiting for the powder coater to be open early this week. Can anyone identify the seat on my bike? I used to think it was stock, but I've seen a lot of airheads now and can't say I've seen the same seat anywhere else. I like it quite a bit - I like that the rider's seat is cut a little lower, and I like the slope of the hump behind the passenger seat - it makes it look sporty to me. I'm thinking of having it re-upholstered in some quality black leather.

Can anyone tell me where this seat came from?

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #96
elite-less
As above, so below

Oddometer: 538
You have the stock Denfeld seat. Someone just carved the foam and reupholstered with a replacement cover.

Just for reference, here's the original/stock seat on my LWB /5. Also, I have two spare grab rails in my parts collection if you want one....

IMG_4516

elite-less screwed with this post 10-09-2011 at 10:05 AM
elite-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #97
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks elite-less, I appreciate the info! I guess I hadn't thought of the possibility that it was just reshaped.

Beautiful bike! I took a look at your "/5 revive" thread too - gorgeous work you're doing there! I love this place - it's threads like yours that keep me motivated in my own project.

PM me and let me know what you would like for the grab rail. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those in my box of parts.

Thanks!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #98
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

The frame, subframe, swingarm have been dropped off at HP Powdercoating for a coat of "wet black". I should have them back by next weekend.

And a HUGE thanks to Dave Clark of Forever Endeavor Cycles (www.abcbmw.com) for saving my left cylinder and head. I took the pitted/damaged head and cylinder to him to take a look at. He was optimistic that he could save it. You can see some pitting is still there, but he cleaned it up enough around the compression ring area that he is confident that it will seal up and will run without any problems.

He also said the valve stems were bent and the seats were worn. He said he had never seen anything like the trauma that this particular head and cylinder were subjected to. He even suggested that the left cylinder may have been involved in a fire. He fixed it all, and gave them a shiny new bead-blasted finish for about the same price that it would have cost to buy a used cylinder and head. I was quite happy with this - as I've said before, my main goal is to be riding Papa's bike as it was when he rode it. So, new cylinders were not my first choice.

The cylinders look beautiful now:

I still need to bead blast the rest of the engine - I'll probably start on that sometime this week while the frame is at the powder coater. And I bought some Rub N' Buff to ensure that the cylinders look good for quite a while!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Before:

After:

Nice improvement!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #100
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

With some free time while I'm waiting to get parts back from the powder coater, I decided it was time to resign myself to my fate of hours upon hours of cleaning up 40 years worth of aluminum oxide on every cast aluminum part of the old girl.

As shown above, I got some help on the cylinders and heads, so I decided to start on the fork bottoms. This is a good representation of what I was working against:

I decided to go this route on the fork tubes:

You may remember that I tried this a bit on the front engine cover and was worried that it was taking too much finish off. It seemed to do much better on the forks and I was happy with the results. After a light test session to see how it would work out:

Then a little more:

Satisfied, I decided to go for it and came up with this:

Cleaned (bottom) versus dirty:

It was a bit shinier than I was hoping for, but it was head and shoulders above what it had looked like, so I decided I was willing to live with it. So then I took the forks outside, scrubbed them down and got them really clean. Then it was back to the vice grip to try my first experience with Rub N' Buff.

Wow. This stuff is possibly the most impressive product ever. I can't believe there isn't an entire thread devoted to the stuff with before and after photos. It goes on like a dream, spreads forever, and covers extremely easily. The pores of the cast aluminum just suck it up and you can tell that it will make a huge difference in keeping the dirt and grime out.

You can see the difference of where I had applied it (on the left) and where I hadn't (on the right) in this photo:

The Rub N' Buff brought back the perfect finish - not too shiny, it looks almost exactly like brand new cast aluminum. One tube down:

And a comparsion, Rub N' Buff (top) versus no Rub N' Buff (bottom):

Both fork tubes done:

I was all excited, so I tried a carb float bowl. It worked well too, but the float bowl is much smoother than the cast iron parts, so I decided to let it dry to see how well it's going to work before doing more of the carbs:

All of this took just over an hour and I am extremely happy with the results. The lower triple clamp is next, and then just about every other aluminum part on the bike, but most of them need to be blasted first.

Not bad for an hour's work!

Oh, and HUGE thanks to Houseoffubar for introducing me to Rub N' Buff!

1973 BMW R60/5:

backdrifter screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 08:26 PM
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #101
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Parts are back from the powdercoater!

A huge thanks to HP Powdercoating, who an inmate referred me to. They did a great job - everything was properly masked, no threads have been sprayed, and everything looks fantastic. And it was very reasonably priced too.

Before:

After:

With the subframe on:

So what's next? First, I need to clean up the work space, as I've let it get a bit cluttered.

Then, the goal for this week is to prepare all of the aluminum bits for blasting and cleaning. I have a friend that will let me borrow his blaster, I'm hoping to make it over there Thursday evening. In the mean-time, I first need to wash and scrub all the grease off and tape and otherwise prep everything for blasting. It's going to be long and tedious work. Lucking, I'm well prepared and have a sanctuary only feet from my work area :

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #102
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
hot dang!

Papa would be proud! Can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier.

Subscribed!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #103
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 443
[/QUOTE]

You are going to need help... I'll be right over!!
trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #104
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
Papa would be proud! Can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier.

Subscribed!
Thanks for reading along!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #105
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy:Dmoto View Post
You are going to need help... I'll be right over!!
I'll gladly trade alcohol for help. I have no shortage of beer, but mechanical aptitude is another story altogether!

1973 BMW R60/5: