Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #16
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
When you're not using your 950 for 80% off road or more (but then, why would you buy a 950 in the first place?) I don't understand this mod.
actually that is a great question (thanks Greg)

Personally I got the 950 because I feel I was reaching the outer edge of the GS suspension capavilities Bert..to be my "Dirtbike" more than my street bike..and then keep the GS's for transporting loads and do long tours were dirt is less of a component.

but now that the swingarm broke on the 950, i'm scare of pushing the bike in the dirt, maybe i just need to get over it and hope the swing arm will never fail again or take mine apart and do a proper heat treatment to avoid stress rissers or maybe figure out a shock that will work better to take the loads,,

i don't know.. so far I just DO NOT trust the bike and i check it for cracks on it everytime I ride it..

also I got to ride R-dubb's 450EXC yesterday and for sure that is a bike you can trash all you want,(if you take care of the engine),maybe i did not know better or i just don't want to get into this whole car, trailer, transport crap, but for sure this bike remind me of my bicycle days,,hell my old "Intense M-1" downhill bike feel slower to turn and track that this beautyful orange monster.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #17
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKittrick
Given the rim problems a lot of us have had, I was wondering if anyone had investigated the possibility of using one of KTM's front wheel kits on the 950. These allready feature a better rim in a narrower width but only have a mounting flange for one rotor. It seems to me that if the wheel will work on our bikes and it can be used in conjuction with the larger supermotard single rotor and 4-pot caliper you could kill two birds with one stone. I would imagine the braking performance of the 4-pot set-up could easily rival the stock twin brake, and could shave off a few pounds.

Tim you got me....

that is the idea i have to find a EXC wheel(maybe even a LC4) already build since so many people upgrade to the typical talon/excel conbination and dish the wheel in a way that the hub will be on center,(aling with the caliper and space propertlly)

I still need to check the bearing size but even then that can be fix or at least circunvent..
Old 11-28-2004, 08:28 PM   #18
wesfnw
portland,or

Oddometer: 356
[QUOTE=Ricardo Kuhn]
but now that the swingarm broke on the 950, i'm scare of pushing the bike in the dirt, maybe i just need to get over it and hope the swing arm will never fail again or take mine apart and do a proper heat treatment to avoid stress rissers or maybe figure out a shock that will work better to take the loads,,

i don't know.. so far I just DO NOT trust the bike and i check it for cracks on it everytime I ride it..

...its quite ironic that you of all people would question the strength of the 950 swingarm!?...
Are you high??..

could you please post the picture of your bike "LOADED" for the trip that broke your stinkin swingarm
wesfnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:50 PM   #19
XRsLug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesfnw
...its quite ironic that you of all people would question the strength of the 950 swingarm!?...
Are you high??..
could you please post the picture of your bike "LOADED" for the trip that broke your stinkin swingarm

Love these contributions to the thread, keep 'em coming...

-Kelefa Sanneh
XRsLug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:59 PM   #20
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:

Are you high??..
Stonned...nope I'm not but sometimes I wish i was

first of all the load on the KTM was nothing compare to the kind of things I carry for years on my GS's with out any trouble

something like this including the girlfriend is what I call loaded

I do admite that I load the bike a little to much and that I crash it on the most stupid way,,,just remenber static loads are nothing in comparations with the dinamics loads generated by dirt or even hard street riding jumps, sideways tracks and more than that bad landings.
Quote:

let see from the botoom i have
  • the GOBI bags with about 15 sets of fastway footpegs(very small capacity as you all know.(no more than 15pound i believe)
  • the red bags is full of clothes, my sleeping bag,a mini 3 pound tent, etc for a two week trip(MOA to Ouray)
  • the black pelikan case was pretty heavy,,some tools, some cataloges, my lap top,,I don't think more than 30 pound of load..
  • on the very back my therma rest
  • on the very top my back pack almost empty since I was ussing it to carry the clothes i will use during the trip(thermal layers)
  • tank panniers,,right fill with water, left with extra tube and simple tools
  • tank bag with my small camara ,some bananas and a bottle of orange juice ...oh and some maps

seriuslly i don't think was that much,just look kind of crazy. certainlly less than a full size person will be

so far at least two other swingarms fail that we can prove ,,i also know of two others but so far no way to prove them,,maybe I was the first one but sadlly i'm not the last one..

Only time will tell, I just hope will never happend to me again, since will be a little to much to take and i be saving my money to buy the NEW GS since they never ever let me down at least not this way .

don't take me wrong the KTM is a incredible well made bike so reinforce and porpuse build inspire confidence all over,,maybe that is why i'm so perplex that this happend.
I was just sure this toy will last me for ever, no matter what i did to her..

yeah maybe I was asking a little to much.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 11-28-2004 at 09:16 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #21
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
Nope,,I'm sure is not. in fact i'm pretty sure is sold on the "Hardpart" cataloge..
If its in the KTM Hard Equipment catalog it definately is a Beringer kit (with a KTM logo on it).

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:57 AM   #22
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 583
On www.ktm.at, under Power Parts, there's even a six pot Beringer now, gold anodized. That would change the weight vs. braking power equasion some more.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:25 AM   #23
RoadMinge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,407
Laugh Trade your KTM for a Ford Freestar Minivan?

Ricardo

I have the solution for your loading problems, it is called a Ford Freestar Minivan, it will carry all of your bulky shit without a problem and as far as I know there have been no broken swing arms reported on this model, go on you know it makes sense

Shaun
RoadMinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #24
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Magura makes a Supermotard braking kit designed specifically for the 950. Kit includes a single 320mm SS full-floater, new fork leg dropouts including a left side 1-piece forging for mounting the radial caliper, radial 4-pot brake caliper powder coated fire-engine red with white "Magura" block lettering, sintered brake pads. I personally have just 2 problems with this kit: the 'look at me' garish painted caliper and the 990 Euro pricetag, not including new single brakeline...can you say OUCH!! I have not used this setup or even seen it in person, I did see it in catalog at local shop. They also recommend it only be used with Magura or similar radial master cylinder using 16mm bore, that will set you back another 250 Euro.

Braketech-Ferodo also offers Supermotard single kits at prices considerably less than Magura, although nothing at present for 950. They offer 320mm full floaters in ductile iron and SS that fit 950 hub flange. The SS is the wiser choice for off-roaders as the softer ductile iron could suffer serious damage in mud, dust and grit, not to mention their tendency to rust if bike is not ridden on very consistent basis.

I suspect it would not be difficult to fabricate a new caliper mount given that several KTM's use same 48mm USD tubes in a single front setup. Unless you use something exotic like the previously mentioned 6-pot calipers, and why would you choose such a massive caliper for off-road when you're trying to lose unsprung mass, a master cylinder swap (16mm vs 19mm stock) is probably a wise choice, it will reduce effort at lever and improve feel/modulation. In fact, I'm going to be making the switch myself when my swingarm gets repaired simply because the improved feel/response of a single caliper is more important than some minor improved ultimate braking power offered by the OEM dual setup that's not even usable off-road.

Ricardo: While I too am among the few to have experienced a failed swingarm, I really do not feel this is due to a design flaw. Are you still using the OEM spring? If so, upgrade the spring rating, particularly the way you load your bike. Have you not experienced similar issues on your GS's? I don't know what year that R1100GS is but I've cracked the tranny case on a '95 and a '98GS. Personally, the KTM swingarm failing during a hard bottomed-out rear suspension hit is far for desirable than a frame failure...at least its cheaper, easier to repair and allowed me to relatively safely ride over 100 miles home. The tranny casing failures (basically a frame failure on BMW GS design) have been FAR more prevalent and disabling than the KTM swingarm issues. Now if after my swingarm is repaired and a new heavier rate spring is installed, the piece fails again...yes I will be pissed...but I'm personally witholding judgement at present. For my usage, the KTM is a CONSIDERABLY more capable off-road travelling bike...and I have owned 4 GS's, loved every one inspite of their few faults. In a perfect world, yes i would prefer the spingarm be constructed of Cr-Mo steel or even Ti($$$!!) but this would of course add considerable unsprung weight and perhaps noticably effect handling/performance. Given the alternative choices, including the R12GS, I'll accept the 950's few flaws as growing pains, its still head and shoulders above the capabilities of any other bike in its class. take care
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:48 AM   #25
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstarmman
Ricardo

I have the solution for your loading problems, it is called a Ford Freestar Minivan, it will carry all of your bulky shit without a problem and as far as I know there have been no broken swing arms reported on this model, go on you know it makes sense

Shaun
tell me about it,,,

after this crash I decide was time to learn how to drive a car..(I still don't know, but maybe soon that will change)

all this happend because i did not plan to well and the person taking my stuff to the rally deside not to go a few days before the trip(Not you dave) so the only thing i can do was to carry everything I have left at my house my self..

You are right is about time i do geta 4 wheel vehicle.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #26
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac

Ricardo: While I too am among the few to have experienced a failed swingarm, I really do not feel this is due to a design flaw. Are you still using the OEM spring? If so, upgrade the spring rating, particularly the way you load your bike. Have you not experienced similar issues on your GS's? I don't know what year that R1100GS is but I've cracked the tranny case on a '95 and a '98GS. Personally, the KTM swingarm failing during a hard bottomed-out rear suspension hit is far for desirable than a frame failure...at least its cheaper, easier to repair and allowed me to relatively safely ride over 100 miles home. The tranny casing failures (basically a frame failure on BMW GS design) have been FAR more prevalent and disabling than the KTM swingarm issues. Now if after my swingarm is repaired and a new heavier rate spring is installed, the piece fails again...yes I will be pissed...but I'm personally witholding judgement at present. For my usage, the KTM is a CONSIDERABLY more capable off-road travelling bike...and I have owned 4 GS's, loved every one inspite of their few faults. In a perfect world, yes i would prefer the spingarm be constructed of Cr-Mo steel or even Ti($$$!!) but this would of course add considerable unsprung weight and perhaps noticably effect handling/performance. Given the alternative choices, including the R12GS, I'll accept the 950's few flaws as growing pains, its still head and shoulders above the capabilities of any other bike in its class. take care
Man BigMac you give me such hope when i saw your posting about the spring problem,,i think (after thinking about it and taking with some experts) you are "right on the money"

at the moment I'm dipleted of founds but hopefully soon i will be able to update the suspension on my bike to a much better dirt setup..

about the GS's I never have rear end troubles with them and i colect more than a "Few" miles with them,but i'm also aware of their failures,,hell the famous jean luc abandon ship after his swing arm broke in half at saline valley...

so far is more a psicological issue(I do know I'm a "little" neurotic) so please understand that you can not have a simbiotic relationship if you don't trust your partner
Old 11-29-2004, 09:07 AM   #27
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
Magura makes a Supermotard braking kit designed specifically for the 950. Kit includes a single 320mm SS full-floater, new fork leg dropouts including a left side 1-piece forging for mounting the radial caliper, radial 4-pot brake caliper powder coated fire-engine red with white "Magura" block lettering, sintered brake pads. I personally have just 2 problems with this kit: the 'look at me' garish painted caliper and the 990 Euro pricetag, not including new single brakeline...can you say OUCH!! I have not used this setup or even seen it in person, I did see it in catalog at local shop. They also recommend it only be used with Magura or similar radial master cylinder using 16mm bore, that will set you back another 250 Euro.
Nope that sounds far to complicated,,no need for a radial brake with the long legs of the ADVenture,,I bet will be more drag on the rotors when the flex than with the convencional sistem

Quote:

Braketech-Ferodo also offers Supermotard single kits at prices considerably less than Magura, although nothing at present for 950. They offer 320mm full floaters in ductile iron and SS that fit 950 hub flange. The SS is the wiser choice for off-roaders as the softer ductile iron could suffer serious damage in mud, dust and grit, not to mention their tendency to rust if bike is not ridden on very consistent basis.
acording to some sourses(I'm sure he can post here if he want to) Sommer's offer a machine(Shave for clearance with the spokes) Brembo 4 piston caliper,,that sound like a good and some how cheap solution if you are able to find on on e-bay or something and machine it your self,,I also trust goldline brembo's with my life does things are ultra reliable and trouble free,,yeah as long the master cilinder is compatible...

just remenber I just post this for ALL to learn,,I'm still think of running the two rotors for sometime

Quote:
I suspect it would not be difficult to fabricate a new caliper mount given that several KTM's use same 48mm USD tubes in a single front setup. Unless you use something exotic like the previously mentioned 6-pot calipers, and why would you choose such a massive caliper for off-road when you're trying to lose unsprung mass, a master cylinder swap (16mm vs 19mm stock) is probably a wise choice, it will reduce effort at lever and improve feel/modulation. In fact, I'm going to be making the switch myself when my swingarm gets repaired simply because the improved feel/response of a single caliper is more important than some minor improved ultimate braking power offered by the OEM dual setup that's not even usable off-road.

Upss I respond to your answer before i read this part,,you are totally right,,is pointless to have UltraSuperMega brakes on a bike primary use for the dirt, when hyper sencitive brakes are more a liavility than a asset..

thanks for all the imput,your comments are very sound and with a lot of wisdom
Old 11-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #28
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
And now for some pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee
On www.ktm.at, under Power Parts, there's even a six pot Beringer now, gold anodized. That would change the weight vs. braking power equasion some more.
Dead Sexy Too! Click here for larger 330kb.

Cheers!

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #29
wesfnw
portland,or

Oddometer: 356
[QUOTE=Ricardo Kuhn]Stonned...nope I'm not but sometimes I wish i was

don't take me wrong the KTM is a incredible well made bike so reinforce and porpuse build inspire confidence all over,,maybe that is why i'm so perplex that this happend.

just post the picture when you bring up "swingarm cracks" ...so no-one else will be "perplex"
wes in portland
wesfnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #30
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
just post the picture when you bring up "swingarm cracks" ...so no-one else will be "perplex"
wes in portland
that i did not understand