Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #46
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Y'know, this thread has me thinking (uh oh) about the pads. Galfer Greens chaned the KLR front brake utterly, stronger at full pull, yet far less grabby. Perhaps there's a middle route besides Flanny's; I find the initial grabbiness disconcerting in the dirt, too, and maybe some Galfer Greens would help.

I should mention that the stock setup is not nearly so grabby once it gets warmed up, but I've noticed that it takes some good squeezes to make heat.

Hmm, and maybe the Galfer Black will cure the squealing in back...

I like the Galfer pads, as they work well. They do wear pretty quick, don't know if quicker than KTM stock.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #47
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
Some one on the board was working on this. I forget who
[hijack]Hey Greg! Howya healin? I'm in escrow (selling the condo) and am gonna have $$ for a DS bike here in about 26 days. Any ETA on yer "get back to ridin day?"

M
[/hijack]
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #48
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
This is a jawdropping thread if there ever was one....

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #49
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasma
hi ricardo

the LC4ADV front single disc and caliper (with the distancial) fit perfectly on 950...

i will go too to this solution with a set of excel rims

NO THEY WILL NOT!!!!!

I have a set right here and first of all, the calliper is the same. Secondly the calliper hanger is different and won't work.
motozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #50
Rbott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
What about RFS Front brake parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motozilla
NO THEY WILL NOT!!!!!

I have a set right here and first of all, the calliper is the same. Secondly the calliper hanger is different and won't work.
Motozilla,
What about using a 450 EXC caliper with a 320mm rotor and relocation bracket? I was thinking a Braking 4 piston supermoto caliper and a Braking Wave rotor. I will see if it will work when I get my 950 wheels back, unless you already know the answer.

Ryan
Rbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #51
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbott
Motozilla,
What about using a 450 EXC caliper with a 320mm rotor and relocation bracket? I was thinking a Braking 4 piston supermoto caliper and a Braking Wave rotor. I will see if it will work when I get my 950 wheels back, unless you already know the answer.

Ryan
That *might* work....I have a 320 mm rotor here and I went to mount it on the 950 but it was a no go. The hanger is the problem (wrong bolt spacing) but the spacing might be correct for the 450. I can tell you the the Braking 4 piston unit is too wide for the 950 wheel (It hits the spokes) but it looks as though the motomaster works.
motozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #52
BigMac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
The stock twin disc front setup doesn't accomplish a whole lot on road or in dirt. It however has little-nothing to do with braking power, imo, it has to do with feel. The stock setup simply lacks feel and ability to modulate either on road or dirt. What the exact cause for this is could be several factors including pads, rotor, caliper, line crossover routing, fluid or master cylinder...or a combination of several.

My solution for last 8k miles has been to jetison the right front rotor, caliper and crossover line, install Galfer Green pads on left caliper, install a Brembo GP 16mm radial mc and Motul 600 fluid. The feel is dramatically improved, literally night and day difference. Having spent many of these miles in dirt, mud, wet rocks, gravel and the occasional wet roads, I am sufficiently satisfied with this setup that I am not presently considering a 320mm full-floater setup with 4 pot Brembo Goldline I had previously being considering. I have not however been involved in any situations that have required emergency stopping power...thankfully not yet! If I had to guess, I'd think the new master cylinder and fluid were the primary contributors to the improved feel and modulation although I do think the Galfer pads improve stopping power over the KTM OEM units. Take care.
BigMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #53
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
[hijack]Hey Greg! Howya healin? I'm in escrow (selling the condo) and am gonna have $$ for a DS bike here in about 26 days. Any ETA on yer "get back to ridin day?"

M
[/hijack]
Mike I'm several months away I'm just starting my physical therapy today I walked for a little while without my crutch. After I'm healed up I then have to convince my wife to let me ride again As of now, its you ride I leave (mind you with half) She's afraid I end up like Chistopher Reeves I hoping time will help Good news on the bike :)
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #54
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
One this is for sure. the 950 caliper is slightly different than the 640 Adv Caliper. (The holes for mounting to the float pins are closer together). I learned this the hard way by ordering the 320mm caliper mount for the supermotard, and the 950 caliper does not fit on it.

So...The plan right now is to steal the caliper off my 525, and put it on the 950 with the 320mm mount, and put the 950 caliper and mount on my 525...
Hey flanny, I'm working on trying to reverse engineer the setup on Ricardo's friends bike. Can you tell me the center to center distance of the 640's fork's brake mount tabs. The 950 is 96mm so I'm trying to figure out what KTM Ricardo's kit was supposed to fit. It's not the 525 I now know so I'm guessing it must be a 640 setup.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM   #55
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
Hey flanny, I'm working on trying to reverse engineer the setup on Ricardo's friends bike. Can you tell me the center to center distance of the 640's fork's brake mount tabs. The 950 is 96mm so I'm trying to figure out what KTM Ricardo's kit was supposed to fit. It's not the 525 I now know so I'm guessing it must be a 640 setup.

Gregor

I'll measure tonight and post for you later.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 03:54 PM   #56
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,382
Done

Well I can tell you that you really need to be committed if you want to do that Motomaster swap. I just finished it and it wasn't easy. The main problem you will run into is the spacing between the spokes and the caliper. This is the reason that 2-piston calipers are used. To move the caliper out requires moving the disk out. Moving the disk out requires machining either the caliper bracket or the forks caliper bosses in order to keep the spacing.

I wanted to do this project with the stock Motomaster kit and caliper bracket with the minimal work so it could be duplicated. At worst I was hoping that we could make a small run of caliper brackets that would solve the problems and sell them here to those really wanting to go this route. In the end it's a bit more complicated. Spacing is so tight that in order to get things to fit, and to leave enough meat on the bracket, I had to machine 3.83mm off the caliper mounting bosses on the forks. I don't have everything solved as for some strange reason my speedo is now reading 170% high - or maybe it's double which might make more sense.

The good news is that the single Motomaster caliper and 320mm rotor end up being about the same power as the stock double disk setup which is what I was hoping for. I left the stock master cylinder for now since I figured it was calibrated for four pistons (spread over two calipers) and I'll let the brakes bed in with this setup and then I'll swap out to the 16mm Brembo radial master cylinder to see how that effects things. I suspect it will improve the feel greatly since it's done that on all the other bikes I've put them on.

I'll post some photos on Monday but I think the conversion seems to be a success so far.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:54 PM   #57
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Wicked Galfer wave rotors!

Any one try Galfer wave rotors , ADVMOTO.com , front and rear they have slotted vents and should keep the rear from locking as easy. Front should be more progressive , etc... lighter etc...cooler etc... Let us know ! K.B.
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #58
MooreRon
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
Didn't read through 4 pages of replies, so forgive me if this has already been said, but if you ride the 950 off-road, a floating rotor is a bad idea. Dirt, mud, sand, etc., will get wedged in the area that makes the rotor 'float' and it will not float anymore. You will then have a rotor that is not true.
MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #59
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 1,875
Attention Problem Solved!!!

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Beringer who makes the supermoto conversions for the RFS motored line of KTM's also makes...

A twin disc setup that is two discs on one side with a caliper that has three brake pads in it. One on each side and a double sided in the middle.

http://www.beringerbrakes.com/4d.html

Trying to stop that big bike with a single disc I think you are going to have heat problems. I would try a one sided 4d system (2d) before letting a sngle disc do the job.

My new EXC450 has the beringer super moto 4 pot brake on it and it stops the damn thing, but the weight is quite a bit less.
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #60
MvZee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Well I guess it's about time...

... for me to respond to this thread seeing as I am the friend of Ricky's to whom this bike belongs!

First off, I want to publicly thank Ricky for his help in getting the bike ready for it's "extended Beta" ride to test the new brake system. THANKS RICKY!!!!

First let me say, the only machining that was necessary, involved a hack saw and file to remove the ear on the left fork leg that holds the old fender in place. It was in the way for the new placement of the metal wire brace for the brake line, so after a couple minutes of debating whether we would regret the decision later, it was exercised with extreme prejudice!

Now on to some details. Rotor and caliper spacing is critical for the caliper to not hit the spokes. We ended up spacing the rotor out a little over .100" and then shimming the caliper to recenter it on the rotor (as near as possible) and provide clearance for the spokes. We used bearing shims behind the rotor, available at a local bearing house. With the rotor spaced out, there was clearance problems with the stock bolts that hold the rotor to the hub. High grade button head screws were used to provide the necessary clearance for the bolt heads. As the bolts appear to do double duty to hold the rotor on and provide a sensor (or in this case 6 sensors) for the speedo pickup, they run sufficiently close enough to the stock pickup, that the speedo works flawlessly without any changes necessary. I'm still not entirely satisfied with this solution, and Ricky and I have recently discussed rebuilding the front wheel with a single rotor hub with the needed offset built-in and the wheel dished to recenter it. Since the rim was bent on the fore-mentioned "extended Beta", it needs to be replaced anyway.

Shortly after the conversion, the new system was put to test. Here are some pictures of the vehicle during this test phase:

Here is the test vehicle on its "Extended Beta" with newly installed brake at the "Earthquake Capitol of the World" -- Parkfield, California

Somewhere south of Parkfield

On the Carrizo Plain between Highway 5 and 101 (http://www.carrizoplain.com/)

Morning rush hour traffic on the Carrizo Plain

In Northern Baja approaching Parque Nacional Constitucion:

Still in Northern Baja coming out of the mountains

Brake dust can be a problem with the big 320mm rotor and 4 piston caliper. This is easily rectified as shown. This is on the mainland coming over a set of mountain ranges from Talpa de Allende (about 50 miles east of P.V.) en route to P.V.

The test vehicle on the edge of the road approaching Real de Catorce

Overlooking the valley in the hills around Real de Catorce

There were some straights where you could achieve a little speed to test the straight line stopping ability of the brakes

And there were some curves that permitted use of the brakes as well

Some twisty dirt roads were thrown into the test program

A little cold weather testing was performed

Yet more unpaved road testing

A small break during testing was allowed to greet fellow AdvRiders

Returning via Highway 1 on California's coast I was met with a procession of sightseers and motorhomes as far as the eye could see. Wait... that's not it at all. This is what the traffic on Highway 1 was like between late winter storms

All told, 8000 miles were racked up in 2 1/2 months of testing the brake system in a variety of conditions. The brakes held up without a problem, and there were no problems with the floating rotors losing their ability to "float" regardless of the conditions that were thrown at them! Further testing and development continues.... Stay tuned!

MvZee screwed with this post 05-08-2005 at 05:57 PM
MvZee is offline   Reply With Quote