Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #61
barbasma
100% CAROTONE

Oddometer: 1,821
attention... if you take off uno brake caliper.... will be better to change the brake pump.... with an EXC one...

the 950 brake pump is made for two disc.... with just one is too powerfull... so block too much...

Dakar bike has EXC pump...
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #62
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasma
attention... if you take off uno brake caliper.... will be better to change the brake pump.... with an EXC one...

the 950 brake pump is made for two disc.... with just one is too powerfull... so block too much...

Dakar bike has EXC pump...
That would only be the case if you were to use the stock caliper. The caliper that we're using is a 4-piston caliper which is the same number of pistons in the stock 950 setup. I think a radial Brembo would still enhance the bike but I'll see what I think of this first.

I'm glad MVzee has finally replied here and has some miles on his set up. There is no worry about a floating rotor "not floating" if it gets dirty. Many MX bikes are beginning to use floating rotors. It's just a very small amount that is flexed within the button that holds the rotor.

I'd like to hear how MVzee feels about the strength compared to stock, how the bike feels with a passenger etc. Any regrets?

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #63
MooreRon
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
Many MX bikes are beginning to use floating rotors. It's just a very small amount that is flexed within the button that holds the rotor.
I've noticed Yamaha and Kawasaki are using floating front rotors. I still don't understand why they would do this when it's a given sand/dirt WILL get into the void and limit it's function. Maybe they're sealed in some way I don't know about?

In any case, maybe someone more up on this can explain why the KTM Duke comes with floating rotors for street use, but when they suited it up to compete in the 2005 Paris - Dakar it now has non-floating rotors.

MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:22 AM   #64
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkim
In any case, maybe someone more up on this can explain why the KTM Duke comes with floating rotors for street use, but when they suited it up to compete in the 2005 Paris - Dakar it now has non-floating rotors.
I'm no brake wiz, but I had two Dukes: one of MY 2000 with the same type (fixed) rotor that's on your Dakar racer here, and a floating caliper.

From MY 2004 the Duke has a fixed caliper and a floating rotor. So it's either a fixed rotor with a floating caliper or the other way around. They're not floating both, nor are they both fixed. Does this help? Thought so...

Old 05-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #65
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
I haven't really put much thought into it but does KTM prefer floating calipers?

I think the KX's starting using floating rotors in 90, I know my 91 had 'em.
I've never heard of dirt/mud being an issue with the rotors, other than going to solid/non slotted disks in heavy mud.
I think, for the most part, the clearance around the buttons is minimal and whatever debris did get in there would be shaken loose by the constant braking/pounding forces.

Anybody have any input into the floating rotors/floating caliper pro's/cons
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #66
MooreRon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee
They're not floating both, nor are they both fixed. Does this help? Thought so...
Not really, 'cause the fact one is always floating and the other is not is well known, but thanks for trying.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #67
MooreRon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
I haven't really put much thought into it but does KTM prefer floating calipers?

I think the KX's starting using floating rotors in 90, I know my 91 had 'em.
I've never heard of dirt/mud being an issue with the rotors, other than going to solid/non slotted disks in heavy mud.
I think, for the most part, the clearance around the buttons is minimal and whatever debris did get in there would be shaken loose by the constant braking/pounding forces.

Anybody have any input into the floating rotors/floating caliper pro's/cons
I'm getting my info from your boyfriend Curtis. I was wanting to pimp up the 525 a little more and go with some trick looking floating rotors, but he recommended against it for the reasons I've stated.

Damn, you Brits are stooopid!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #68
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartkim
I'm getting my info from your boyfriend Curtis. I was wanting to pimp up the 525 a little more and go with some trick looking floating rotors, but he recommended against it for the reasons I've stated.

Damn, you Brits are stooopid!
I still don't see the problem, when do you plan on getting it dirty
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #69
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
I saw a little dust on one of his bike ONCE
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #70
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee
So it's either a fixed rotor with a floating caliper or the other way around. They're not floating both, nor are they both fixed.
I have a Duke II too (couldn't help myself) and it's not actually floating or fixed. It's that cheap in between world of "semi-floating" where the rotor has laser cuts allowing it to flex a limited amount while not being truly seperate from the carrier.

As for why a Dakar bike wouldn't have a floating rotor I would guess because there aren't a lot of pavement sections. Rotors float to allow more pad contact, self centering and no warping due to being pulled and heated at the same time. You can't heat a front brake to the same degree on the dirt as you can on the pavement so therefore it's not as neccessary.

The 950 is an interesting mixed use bike. Someone like Flanny or Lewis won't use the bike on pavement very much and therefore makes a compromise on losing some brake force in return for less unsprung wieght and therefore better handling. I'm looking to see if I can have both.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #71
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
I saw a little dust on one of his bike ONCE
Nah 'ah, photos please
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM   #72
MooreRon
Banned

Quote:
OUCH! That hurts.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #73
MooreRon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Nah 'ah, photos please

Now, stop play'n on the internet and get busy with my seat. I gotta win the "Bling Is My Thing" at the KTM competition in Cloudcroft, NM, at the end of next week!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #74
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
I have a Duke II too (couldn't help myself)
Hey Gregor, we at least share a taste in bikes, not in bike knowledge. Before I posted the Duke brake comment, I should have walked out, since we have two Dukes in our parking lot-a 1997 Duke I and a 2004 Duke II. Apart from slight differences in the bottom sides of the forks, the mounting of the (identical looking) Brembo is ... identical. So on the older one the disc is flexing only indeed. On the newer bike, the disc is self-adjusting. Both with a fixed caliper.

Thanks for sharing this. Amazing though how it works, that flexing thing. It sounds like a halfway decent job at best, but it brakes like a maniac
Old 08-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #75
motoman250f
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
Has anybody gone any further with this yet?? what does it take to get the galfer 320mm floating disc to work on the left side with galfer green pads and stock caliper? looks like maybe a different caliper mount??
motoman250f is offline   Reply With Quote