User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
twigsnapper OP
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 531
Thumperlina Goes to Church

Been partnered up with Thumperlina for nearly a month, thought it time to get her out of the 'hood; she aspires to be DR650 adventure bike after all. So I thought a trip down to Cathedral State Park in WV might let her show off a bit on US-50. To stay off the slab, took Rt 48 and 51 to 119 into Morgantown, then to Grafton. Morgantown has changed a lot, for the better, went to WVU 30 years ago. After a bit of stew at the Cool Springs General Store (they don't make them like that anymore) we arrive. US-50 is a great road, especially where it cuts thru the Cheat River gorge.

Cathedral State Park is an ancient hemlock forest the miraculously survived the timber craze of the 1900's. Lots of easy hiking trails, but my sidi's aren't made for walking and Thumperlina became suspicious that this really wasn't a church.

Saw a sign to Blackwater falls so we detoured off the planned loop to recon the area. Past thru Davis, what a cool little town, mental note to stop there for lunch next time, the lower street next the river would be a nice spot for a break.

Along the return to US-50, saw an interesting Historical marker for the Fairfax Stone pointing up a gravelly road, why not, this ain't the ninja. Turns out this place was a property corner marker for Load Fairfax back in colonel days, and also happens to the the origin of the Potomic River.

Great vistas on 219 as it descends to Red House.

Thumperlina see a sign for the smallest church in the lower 48, and I did tell her that I'd show her a church.

Soon it was time to part with US-50 as it loses it twisties across MD, so off to Elk Garden on rts 42 and 46 as it looked to hold some promise. These are some lonely roads which at the end of the trip made me reflect critically on my kit, or lack there of. Approaching Luke, the loneliness was supplanted by quarry and logging trucks. Coming across the first one was quite a surprise.

US-220 north to Bedford is straight and fast, which was good as the Frapicinno in Cumberland wasn't doing it for me. Jean Bonnet Tavern is a familiar place with a great menu. True the Arena restaurant has great Prime Rib, but that doesn't travel as well as tavern food. Figured a quick bite to eat and its back home via 31 to arrive before deer:30.

The white bean chicken chili was great, as was the crab cake sandwich.

Here the trip turns a little dark. Something doesn't feel right. A bit road weary, about 10 hrs on the saddle at this point (did I mention how great the Sargent seats are?), so not thinking clearly--should have stopped. Rationalized that the squirminess was maybe that the tar snakes were soft. I make to to Somerset and take a peek at the rear tire, its obvious I've been riding a slow leak and its now a full fledged flat. Figuring that it may be a slow leak, I dig around in the back for a CO2 cartridge that I had in my Ninja's plug kit, attempt to air it up.

Pssssssst--ppoooppp, the little tube fails on the CO2 side separating the hose from the threaded coupling. Fighting off a little panic attack I remember that there is a HD dealer just up the road. Hear is where grace kicks in. Not only did the tire, which was very hot, not fail catastrophically at 60mph; maybe Trailwing are bad in mud, but they do have some integrity. As it turned out, I got stranded next to a dealer, a hotel, ton's of restaurants--even a Starbucks. Must have picked up an active guarding angel at that little church. Guess this is where we stop for the night.

Not only an HD dealer, but a Suzuki dealer within a stones throw. Next day, after some SOS on Homefries at the diner we limped to Cernics, they removed the roofing nail and fit me with a new tube. And all ends well. We'll be working on a roadworthy kit before Thumperlina's next adventure.

EPILOGUE. How foolish to travel the places I did with out a kit that could at least handle a flat! This time it ended well, had it occurred on the gravelly section of Rt 42, it would have been a long cold night or a painful walk in riding boots on an empty stomach. Also, concerning instincts, when something doesn't feel right or sound right, stop! Perhaps it can't be diagnosed, but then again in this case, 30 seconds with the tire gauge could have been a critical discovery, that tire was scary hot when I finally stopped.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...309875&t=p&z=9

2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Thumperlina goes to church

Nice ride report! Glad you found the Zook dealership, just a tube and tire plug? Did that N/A brew taste ok?
Davo-55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
twigsnapper OP
How did I get here?

Oddometer: 531
Really lucky about the zook dealer being there. The HD folk are friendly and all, but I understand they don't even like to work on buells let alone a suzuki; they'd have to take a shower after touching it. Just a tube, the wrong dimensions they said, so it needs changed out soon. The stock tire is spent at 1500 miles so it and the tube come off this week.

The NA beer is ok, both Odouls and BuschNA are fine, especially with a meal. I got a little problem with drinking just one, so the good stuff has to wait until the ride is over.
2008 dr650se
twigsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote