User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Oddometer: 31
Eek My son's first tour

So....I have been part of some of the ride reports here for a little while but with absolutely no effort on my part. I have been very fortunate that my dancing partner authors some wonderful reports and has been the one to document the trips we have taken together.

A new spin takes place when my son decides that g容g and I have made this riding thing look like a lot of fun and bought himself a graduation present....a 1983, Honda Nighthawk CB650SC. Due to someones decision to give it an alternate color in it's past, we have affectionately named it, Pikachu. (Okay, so maybe g容g and I decided to call it that....Colton, not so much). Sorry Colt, incentive to make a new paint job your winter project.

Honestly, though...the bike is in great condition, mechanicaly very solid and doesn't look bad for being almost 10 years older than he is. Runs like a champ and he is loving it, so it's a perfect fit.

I followed up with my graduation present which was an MSF course and gear. The result?? Passed his course last Sunday, turned it into his license on Monday and mother and son left for their first ride together on the weekend! g崁eg couldn't make this one and was very missed. He of course sent us on our way with the advice to "Take a lot of pics" and "Maybe it's time for you to write your first trip report". I don't always do as I'm told but he sometimes has some good ideas and this one seemed like it was.

We got a late start the first day and couldn't hit the road until about 2 in the afternoon. Should be plenty of time to make it to the first stop in Warren, PA.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Headed out Route 16, through Holland and continuing south. Gas stop, 25 minutes into it. Keep in mind that this is already 4 times further than Colton has gone on a ride so far.

[IMG][/IMG]

All gassed up and ready to go!

Took 16 to 242...beautiful road that brought us on a very happy, mildly twistiness into Ellicottville, NY. Continued out and headed for 394 but happened to pass a soft serve ice cream sign. Colton is always up for soft serve.

[IMG][/IMG]

Because he took great notes over the years, he made a very wise choice to start the meal with dessert. . Did I mention how hot it was that day? No, probably not.....rush to get the ice cream down before it ended up all over.

[IMG][/IMG]

Followed by the main courses, (It always seems like there needs to be pics of food, so I think I've got that pre-req covered...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Bikes still full, check.....stomachs' full, check.....beautiful sunny day with perfect roads ahead! Check!

[IMG][/IMG]

Heading down a small stretch of 394....Would recommend this one. Only stayed on it for a short time going this direction but managed to find more of it on the way home later.

Turned onto 62 to take us into Warren, PA. Great scenery, rolling hills....
[IMG][/IMG]

Local wildlife....

[IMG][/IMG]

And Colton learning how to tear it up......

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Pulled into our home for the next two nights...Gotta love Hampton Inns!
(I know...I know....what happened to roughing it and camping???, next time, I promise).

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

He's starting to get tired of the camera in my hands.

Not a bad day....safe at the hotel...Applebees next door and 133 miles behind us today. Time to relax and get rested for tomorrow!
[IMG][/IMG]
Stay tuned...more coming.
Chelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Excellent ride, excellent report, and one very lucky young man to have you as a mom!

Can't wait for the rest of the report!

WoodsChick

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Hehe, gotta love those first days gettin' a feel for the bike and big trips!
Looks like HWY6 through that park is great. What's that lake at the northwest of the map?

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Thanks

Thanks....I'm pretty lucky with him as well.

The lake up top is Lake Erie. Some pretty good roads along the shore there as well. :)
Old 08-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Highway 6

And yes..Highway 6 is Beautiful!!! but you're getting just a touch ahead of me...that's in the next day's ride. Another highly recommended path.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,187

more pics!

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #7
Nan-Lo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Whoo Hooo

Awesome! Looking forward to the rest of the pix/report! You are the BEST mom!!!

Photobucket:
http://tinyurl.com/9cnj36
Nan-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
907Duc
ducatisti

Oddometer: 87
Mark an Sandy want more pics......
Congrats Colton!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Colton's Ride Continues

So....a bright and early start to an 18 year old is about 9am....and only because the Hampton stops breakfast at 10.

We took our map down to breakfast and planned where we were going. Easy peasy, heading to the Grand Canyon of PA....semi straight shot right down route 6. (wouldn't be any fun if it was perfectly straight).

Geared up, well fed and headed in the right direction.

But have to get a mom and son shot in before we leave.....

These are very important moments that need to be documented.

So I do have to admit that I can be a little bit directionally challenged at times and rely way too much on my GPS. I am able to figure out when not to listen though....and this direction just didn't look right.

Great route....from passing through a lot of very interesting towns...Mt. Jewitt (Just missed the Swedish Festival)....

Saw this very interesting old house in Coudersport (Bate's Hotel feel?).

And continuing along route 6....Beautiful road. Must have been paved semi recently by a team that moonlighted doing race tracks.....the near perfect, wide road combined with the magnificent scenery and perfect weather day (sunny and low 70's), made it exactly the kind of ride I wanted to share with Colt.

So just to pick the perfect spot to take a look at the Grand Canyon of PA.....we went completely by name....

How perfect is that?????

The roads through the park were as pretty a the Grand Canyon...

But here....is the destination......

Breathtaking.......

Saw the park, saw the canyon....took the required pics and gave it all sufficient ooohs and ahhhhhs...and then back to route 6!

Nice road...

Back through Coudersport....cool old movie theatre....

(Across the street from the Bate's hotel)...

Didn't take 6 all the way back but diverted up 219 to 59, back to the end of 6 just before we made it back into Warren.

Passed the Kinzua dam on the way.....

Finally made it back to Warren...total miles for the day...270. Not bad for someone who's been riding a week. Stopped for fuel as we headed back in on fumes and I made the mistake of thinking we were done for the day and put the camera in the sidebag.

We pulled out of the gas station and headed for dinner. 1/4 mile from the left turn we ended up behind a horse drawn buggy as we were in Amish country....wished I had gotten a pic as it was the perfect way to end the day.

But wait!!!! There's more!!!!!

In order to make my son's first riding weekend complete...we came out from dinner to pouring rain. Good thing we replaced those spark plug boots on his bike as it worked just fine in the rain. One mile through the wet stuff back to the hotel was just enough to "get his feet wet"...sorry, couldn't help myself.

Get up to the room and hear some loud pipes outside....look out the window to see the likely culprit...although I was surprised that a Spyder was that loud.

But learned in the morning that it was not alone....along with the pretty Can-Am was a custom Harley that was absolutely beautiful....Nice collection out front of that Hampton.

So because Colton had to work that afternoon, it was time to head home. Up and at 'em again...

Colton getting in the groove even in the gearing up stage...

Or as g容g put it...."Mom, I'm done listening to you".

Gear on and ready to ride!

So this time we took 394 straight out of Warren. Another very good choice if I do say so myself!

He's still following me!!!!

So on a previous trip, we had gone through this town with a name that I just loved.....I made a point of routing our ride back through it so I could get a pic of the sign....camera malfunction! Shoot! But Google is my friend and found a suitable substitute.

Can you believe it..."Onoville"...the only thing that could make it better is if it was "Ohellnoville". Cool marina but the town went by in a blink. When I was searching for a pic of a road sign I read about a tornado that made it's way through the town not too long ago...that was really an Oh no.

Okay, back on our way....

Back past the Ice Cream place.....394 all the way back to 16...that took us home.

Self portrait...because most of them were of the boy...

And the tale of the odometer...

Total miles for 2 full days....471...not a bad accomplishment for a first ride.

And I...absolutely loved it!

Hope you enjoyed the tale...thank you for sharing it with us.

Chelle
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #10
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Bravo!! Well done, Chelle.

Colton's going to remember this for the rest of his life!
I'll bet he's the envy of all his friends

WoodsChick

Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Thank you!!! I know I'll remember it for a long time too!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle
Total miles for 2 full days....471...not a bad accomplishment for a first ride.
Fantastic for a first, or any, ride. And to take it with your son . . . . I'm sure he sees you far differently now than he did before. It's always a bit of a shock when we find out that our parents can actually be cool, daring and adventurous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelle
And I...absolutely loved it!
And just think of the memories you've provided him with. You're a good adventurer and an even better mom.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
that was really nice. I hope to do that with my sons some day.

Beautiful country you live in - I was through there for the first time the last week in July.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Thanks Hannda

Loved your comments and thank you....I think his realization that he can do things with mom and not be embarrassed has been very good for me too!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 AM   #15
Chelle OP
Polish Princess

Memphis

We have some nice riding in our back yard....I'm pretty fond of Memphis as well. Used to visit there regularly for work...always one of my favorite places.

Thanks
Chelle