Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #16
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_ADV_RIDER
Unusual use of PVS pipe! Is that in the TouraTech catalog????

It was originally designed to support spare tires and a gas tank, but still worked well to hold the jerry can and camping gear. And it all cost less than $20, including new glue (last can dried up)
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
fatboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I've got an '08 klr and would love to hear more about how you setup the bike, lessons learned and so forth. Tnx -FB
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy
I've got an '08 klr and would love to hear more about how you setup the bike, lessons learned and so forth. Tnx -FB
I'll get there working on the last few days
Old 08-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9 - Dawson to near Tetsa

(Complete Day 9 picture gallery here)

So, woke up early, and no, the tire fairly did not fix the rear. So I took the tire off and went to the gas station, nope still won't hold air.

Can't remember where, but it was suggested I look up Dick, the former owner and acting manager of the Downtown hotel. I was told he was a motorcycle enthusiast and will help a wayward motorcyclist. So off I went.

Talk to the nice Australian ladies at the front desk who called him up. He agree to come by and pick me and my tire up. We went to the local napa store to pick up some glue and a couple of patches and back to his place where he patched the tube.

Dick is a great guy who DISLIKE big cities and loves motorcycles.

Dropped me off at the campground where I put the bike back together and packed.

Went, under KLR power back down to the Downtown hotel to buy some t-shirts and have some food. Had a great conversation with a couple up from the Vancouver Area

Went across the street for a few more shirts and off towards Whitehorse, taking a few pics as I left

And talked briefly with an Irishman, named Patrick who shipped his Africa Twin over.

On the way down to Whitehorse stopped and talk to this gentleman for a few minutes

A civil engineer, without a wife or mortgage quit his job to ride. And was heading south from riding Top of the World HWY and up to Inuvik. He was saying he rode about 80 to 150 miles per day, and also discussed camping and such. I saw a fair number of people doing some serious touring on bicycles, very cool.

Not the most amazing road, but still very pleasant

In Whitehorse picked up a few things, like more earplugs, drill bits to release my hwy pegs, and bag of Cadbury Smarties. Weather was coming and I bolted east. Got wet. Wound up finding a hotel room.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10 - Tetsa, YT to Kitwanga, BC

(Day 10 gallery)

Dy 10 started out pretty normally, nothing really noteworthy, weather was decent, and got off on my way. The Cassiar HWY was closed due to a forest fire, but was open with pilot car. After waiting 15 minutes there he was to lead us south. Although he took off pretty quickly, oh well.

Before I got to the fire area, I got my token shot of a black bear

A few shots of the fire

In general pleasant hwy, but did not compare to some of the other sights seen, so I did not stop that much to take pictures. But still got a few

A few gas stops down the road, after having a nice chat with an RCMP officer, where I got a $138 souvenir, I met Paul. Who had ridden his formerly perfect VFR750 up to Prudhoe Bay

Camped with Paul that night, good to have the company.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #21
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 11 - Kitwanga, BC to Spences Bridge, BC

(Complete gallery of pictures from Day 11)

Again, nothing overly exciting today, or so I though, but I will get to that.

Paul and I rode south, and we past another forest fire. Got separated before that point as Paul had his own visit with an RCMP officer.

But south central BC surprised me, amazing scenery

I want to go back. Could have spent a lot more time taking pictures.

It was about time for Paul to head off in a Westerly direction and me East, also getting late. Paul's bike was blowing the fuse for the tail light and I talked him into camping for the night and getting an early start.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #22
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 12 - Spences Bridge, BC to De Borgia, MT

(The gallery)

This day started out brilliantly. South Central BC is truly amazing. Stopped and took a lot more pictures than I expected I would. Got to back here one of these years.

Crossed back into the States, very happy to be back in the lower 48. Time to head south and get a new rear. A few of the wear bars were getting thin ....

But to my surprise, just N. of Spokane when I was calling to find a tire a '66 GT40 pulled in for gas

Some induhvidual in a truck asked him how much he had in it, the owner answered $300k, ouch.

He had some troubles getting it started. He would wait a minute or so after each attempt, but nothing but a few smoke rings. Wish I had the camera out for that.

So, me being me, walked over and asked if a dump start would get her going. He said likely. Just as I was asking him where to push, he said to be careful not to bend the spoiler. Another gentlemen suggest to his son that he help. First time almost got her lit, second did.

So how often do you get to push start a GT40, let alone stand next to one

So, off to get the tire. Went to cycle gear, ready to put on a touring tire that was not quite the right size, but that had missed a Gripster, in the right size no less. So I was happy to have it fitted.

So s far as the lessons, if you have a patch, and a chance to put in a new tube, do it!

Halfway from Spokane to Missoula, flat rear tire. Argggggggggggg. No cell phone coverage to boot. A nice lady was kind enough to stop, and call my insurance company. You know that 1$ for towing, yeah, it's worth it!

They called up Riverside Towing, to take me to Missoula, but he did not, his place of business/home was about 5 or 6 miles away. Camped near his pond and he would fix it in the morning.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The final 3 days

(the last gallery)

So the tube got fixed. It had split from under the patch. He put new patch one it, and so far so good.

Stopped 15 or 20 miles down the road to get some food, and

Flat tire number 3. When Rick came out to pick me up, he had sent his better half West about 40 miles to get a new tube.

For which he charged me $50 bucks for. If he had done what he was contracted for, and taken me to a dealer in Missoula, I would have been on my way hours earlier. Eck, but water under the bridge.

Pretty well B-lined it for home. The chain was starting to really stretch. Tightened it again yesterday, and it had noticeably loosened up again.

Just missed a few good storms again when riding through Denver

About 200 miles out of Dallas the chain was starting to get really scary. Tightened it once again, and the tight spot was exceedingly noticeable, and I called it done.

Luckily a nice gentlemen, also named Tom, had pulled over to check on me. Suggested I follow him to his place, which I did. He offered several times to give me a lift home. So we put the bike on his trailer and he drove me home.

I really wanted to make it home on my own steam, but that was not to be. Tom would not accept any money for gas, or anything.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Summary!

It was a great trip! Want to get up there again. No regrets about not going up to Prudhoe Bay. Next time I will go to Inuvik though.

As far as take away's from the trip
- The KLR650 is great bike, but might not be quite enough bike for my 260lbs and gear.
- The slime 12V compressor is significantly better than the Stop and Go unit I had, it is the only tool I did not might jettisoning off the bike.
- Any tools should be well attacked to the bike, I should have never been in the position of loosing a bag with my tire irons/air pump.
- As I said, if you have a tube with a patch, replace the tube when you can.
- I let me past good experience with aging chains cloud my decisions on this one.
- For the most part I did it, but always examine your decisions, what was the right call yesterday, might not be the right call for today.
- AT&T sucks for big travel. In Montana and neighboring states I had coverage about 50-70% of the time, and never 3g, and they have no partner in the regions served by Northwestel. But when in US and had at least reasonable Edge overage or wifi in Canada, the iPhone made a decent travel computer.
- And fully pack the bike more than 12 hours before you intend to depart

On a side note, over the last few days it was interesting to see the number of people actually riding to Sturgis!

ride safe y'all
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bike details

So I started out with Avon Distanzi's on the bike. Love those tires. I had originally planned on taking TKC80's, and change tires for the Dalton, so I left with about 1500 miles or so on the front and a fresh rear. I ran the front at 32lbs, and that was clearly not enough as it cupped like crazy after a total of about 5k miles.

The rear was great, ran it at about 36psi, for the first 2k miles, and bumped it up to 42 after I saw the cupping on the front, no problems but it did not wear evenly after the patch. One side was well into the wear bars where 180deg around the tire it had yet to touch the wear bars.

The front was replaced with a Metzler Tourance, and at about 5k miles at 36-38psi and was GREAT. It was flawless down to McCarthy, through the wet, along Top of the World, highly recommend it.

I cheeped out and did the bungee method for throttle lock, I will have a VistaCruise on the next bike I tour with.

I would not change the gear ratio, I ran out of power on several passes, and could not maintain 65mph on a 6% grade above 6000' above sea level.

The Olympia heated grips where excellent, highly recommend them!!

The Sargent seat, wow, do not leave home without it!

Double Bubble windshield worked well.

Remember your earplugs.

Almost forgot, SW Motec crash bars, if I had 3 thumbs, I would give them 3 thumbs up, and with aging knees highway pegs to go with them.

TxLoneRider screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 10:35 PM
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoneRider View Post
It was a great trip! Want to get up there again. No regrets about not going up to Prudhoe Bay. Next time I will go to Inuvik though.

As far as take away's from the trip
- The KLR650 is great bike, but might not be quite enough bike for my 260lbs and gear.

ride safe y'all
Wow, great RR, thanks for all the great pictures.
I am planning on going up to Deadhorse next July. I have a Kawasaki Concours which I used to do the cross country trip in 2010 but started looking for a new bike to go to Alaska. I had looked at the KLR but decided not to get it because of being a single and only 650. I only weigh 155lbs, so it's not too bad but I live in NJ and doing such a long trip heavily loaded and on a single didn't seem to much fun. I then thought of getting a V-Strom DL1000 but then last year Yamaha announced the Tenere was coming to the US on the 1st of September, on the 2nd I put down the deposit for it. The Tenere is the bike I'm getting ready for Alaska.
You did a nice route, I'm thinking of crossing into Canada in Buffalo NY and then go across Canada through Banff and Jasper and then make my way to Dawson. From Dawson I will make my way to Fairbanks and then up to Deadhorse.

Are you planning any more trips up there?
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
TxLoneRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
Wow, great RR, thanks for all the great pictures.
I am planning on going up to Deadhorse next July. I have a Kawasaki Concours which I used to do the cross country trip in 2010 but started looking for a new bike to go to Alaska. I had looked at the KLR but decided not to get it because of being a single and only 650. I only weigh 155lbs, so it's not too bad but I live in NJ and doing such a long trip heavily loaded and on a single didn't seem to much fun. I then thought of getting a V-Strom DL1000 but then last year Yamaha announced the Tenere was coming to the US on the 1st of September, on the 2nd I put down the deposit for it. The Tenere is the bike I'm getting ready for Alaska.
You did a nice route, I'm thinking of crossing into Canada in Buffalo NY and then go across Canada through Banff and Jasper and then make my way to Dawson. From Dawson I will make my way to Fairbanks and then up to Deadhorse.

Are you planning any more trips up there?
Every bike has its good points, and not so good points.

For me, the thought of taking a $15k (or so bike) and run it up and down some of those roads is not so appealing.

With that said, I like the Yammy. Really loved the FJR1300 I had, should have never let her go.

In a year or two, I will likely look for a previously enjoyed Tiger 800XC, but we will see, futures, who knows.

And yes, and I want to go back. Lessons learned and all.

And of course this time, I won't push maintenance, like I did with the tube and chain. I doubt I will try to go through Yellowstone again, just too slow. Banff was a lot better as far as flow. Depending on when I go I might head through Crater later national park, but this summer the eastern half did not open until July, so if I head up for Dust 2 Dawson in late June, won't be much point

As well, I doubt I will go all the way up to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay, I want to hit 66.333 deg and the bottom end of the Brooks Range, respectively. It will depend on the timing, IIRC there is a decent spot to camp not far from the Southern side of the Brooks Range, if the timing works out where I can hit Prudhoe Bay before or after camping, then I will. But I really don't want to have to pay for a hotel room, or food for that matter, up there.

I will add, if you can get to Valdez and McCarthy, you time will be rewarded with some very memorable scenery.

Banff, Jasper, Glacier Nation Park, Top of the World HWY, Valdez, and Kluane Lake are not to be missed. There is also a section of BC that is really arid, and it was pretty cool as well.

On this trip I will be going the opposite way on the haul roads. Catching the roads into Haines and Skagway which are supposed to be pretty cool as well. I am going to explore around Kluane Lake. And I really want a picture of my bike at 66.333 deg Lat. Plus I am going to explore parts of the western US that I have yet to see.

t.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #28
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 617
Thanks for all the info and for getting me to the link for Dust to Dawson, I didn't know what it was until I just read the story of Ca$h and Jim
Now I found the link for the 2012 event and my head is already working
I did Crater Lake last year, amazing place and we went all around the crater in July, amazing cobalt blue water, check my photos. If you just want to see photos of the trip you can go here: http://goo.gl/LD2kp

I didn't do Glacier last year but plan on doing it on the way back from Alaska.
What is the 66.333 deg Lat? is that the artic circle and is it marked that way?
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #29
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
I have a ride planned from N Texas to Deadhorse leaving in July 2012. I am not gonna be in a hurry though. I will be on a big road bike (Suzuki Intruder 1500 with a sidecar). I plan on running auto tires on it too since I wont be leaning into the corners. I am in the Greenville area, I see you say just N Texas, what are you close to? I also have a 2006 CBR 600 F4i that I am kinda converting to a dual sport, it was rolled in a ball with 1,900 miles on it. I work on it when the inspiration hits.....
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #30
NaturalDamRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I really enjoyed your ride report. That must have been some trip. Congrats.
NaturalDamRider is offline   Reply With Quote