Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
SamRus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Creating a fairing - which headlights to pick?

Hey guys!

Need your advice on picking out good-looking headlight for my bike.
So I came up with a new project for myself... I found a beat-up fairing for my 2007 Ninja 250 for pretty much $10-$20, and want to try to fit a new headlight into it. I'll have to cut the fairing, manufacture some mounting brackets, and do some fiberglass and body work, but I'm ok with that... That's part of the fun! It will also be my winter fairing, so I'll make it slightly wider and maybe a bit taller for more protection from cold wind.

My only constraints are that the little Ninja currently takes H4 60/55 Watt bulb, and I'd like to stay with something along those lines. I like the looks of dual headlight (like Yamaha R1 or R6 or Ninja 650), but I'm limited by the output of my electrical system, which will not support two bulbs at the same time... So I'm inclined towards a uni-headlight design, like a BMW F800st, or even post-2008 Ninja 250...

So the help I need from you is:
What are some of the better-looking uni-headlight designs out there?
Not looking to make it into a streetfighter, not looking into HID's, and never really take the bike off-road... What are your suggestions (preferably that use H4 bulbs, or anything that consumes 60/55W)?

P.S. I posted this in Road Warriors, but looks like that was a wrong place... Wasn't sure how to move it here, so here it is...

SamRus screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 11:19 AM Reason: Changed title...
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,406
Give us some guidelines... is this a pennytech project -- i.e. no expense to small to be put off? What bike is this going on? Do you know the output of your stator?

I ask about cost because there are some newer lighting technologies that put out shitloads of light and don't draw much power. LED is the power consumption winner, but HID is pretty dang good too. My lighting dream team would be an HID low beam and a LED high beam, but that would cost a whole bunch of cheddar. There are single-bulb HID that have both high and low beam, and they adjust the beam focus. Look on evilBay.

Also, if you like the look of the dual headlights, but can't power them both, wire them to come on one at a time.

Regarding which light to use, get yourself down to your local bike wrecking yard and ask what they have on hand -- maybe they have something which has all the mounting tabs broken off, and they can't sell it, but you, being a clever dood, can make do.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
SamRus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Roadracer Al!

It will be going on 2007 Ninja 250.
The output of my stator, according to the book, is 13-15 Amps, or 180 Watts, but I also installed heated grips (3 amps, 40 watts), which were not stock, and which I run in winter quite a bit...
So I have some current to spare, but not much...

As far as cost for the lighting, let's say - $200-$300 tops, but cheaper is better... I'd prefer to stay with the conventional halogen bulbs, as I'm familiar with those, and light output is not my main criterion. As long as it's decent (at least as good as stock), I'll be happy. Mostly wanted to improve the looks of the bike :-)

The salvage yard is a great idea!!! I'll have to check that out... Looks like closest one is about 2 hours away (St. Louis), but I'm that way at least once a month, so not a big problem...

So headlights from what bikes could I use? And if the stock bulbs in those headlights were H4, then it would be plug and play, which is even better!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
Hella

I found a broad selection on this site.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Aux...LampsGrid.aspx
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

If you use a "stockish" watt halogen single bulb, you can run the stock wiring harness. The connectors are pretty much standardized.

If you do twin lamps, you'll have to get the mating plugs from the salvage yard.

RE: heated grips & headlights -- you don't have to run everything all the time.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
SamRus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, I'd love to run the stock headlights from another bike.
Any ideas on which bikes use H4 bulbs?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

you might find a cross reference on a bulb manufacturer site, but really, picking the fairing or the headlight based on which bulb it uses seems a little like picking a dentist because he has a good parking lot.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
DanAllen
ha-HAA

Oddometer: 80
I think the newer ninja 250 headlight is pretty sharp compared to the older style 250s. I suspect they may have the same bulb in them.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #9
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRus View Post
Hey guys!

Need your advice on picking out good-looking headlight for my bike.
So I came up with a new project for myself... I found a beat-up fairing for my 2007 Ninja 250 for pretty much $10-$20, and want to try to fit a new headlight into it. I'll have to cut the fairing, manufacture some mounting brackets, and do some fiberglass and body work, but I'm ok with that... That's part of the fun! It will also be my winter fairing, so I'll make it slightly wider and maybe a bit taller for more protection from cold wind.

My only constraints are that the little Ninja currently takes H4 60/55 Watt bulb, and I'd like to stay with something along those lines. I like the looks of dual headlight (like Yamaha R1 or R6 or Ninja 650), but I'm limited by the output of my electrical system, which will not support two bulbs at the same time... So I'm inclined towards a uni-headlight design, like a BMW F800st, or even post-2008 Ninja 250...

So the help I need from you is:
What are some of the better-looking uni-headlight designs out there?
Not looking to make it into a streetfighter, not looking into HID's, and never really take the bike off-road... What are your suggestions (preferably that use H4 bulbs, or anything that consumes 60/55W)?

P.S. I posted this in Road Warriors, but looks like that was a wrong place... Wasn't sure how to move it here, so here it is...
How about using the stock light housing, and putting in a 35W HID? DDM Tuning makes them, and they put out about 3,000 lumens. This way you have a brighter light that draws less current.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...-Kits-Lighting
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
elgato gordo
KTMRFS

Oddometer: 484
Man that is a smoking deal on an HID!
elgato gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
SamRus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's cool, thanks for the link to the DDM's!

As far as headlight assemblies, I could potentially get a uni-headlight design (like the latest generation of Ninja 250's), and just get this DDM assembly for the current H4 bulb... Would be just $40 plus the headlight assembly. Although I do prefer the looks of dual headlights, lol :-)

Now the Ninja 250-org website was stating that
"In order for HID to work correctly, the reflector has to be designed to work with the bike. No one makes such a thing for the Ninja."

Does that part about reflector sound right to you, or just a bunch of skepticism towards "new / sleek" technology?
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=127
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

I bought a set of these for a ThinStrom project.
They are smallish, bright and only 55/60 Watts. Make sure to buy the adapter plate unless you have some good fabrication tools.

Those, and a set of 10W LED driving lights is lots of light.

Added bonus of a dedicated hi & low beam - flash your lights to pass, and people see the alternating lights. They seem to get out of my way faster than before, but I don't do it if I see cops around. I'm sure it's legal, but it makes me stand out.

Post pictures of your project!
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
SamRus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=127
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=128

I bought a set of these for a ThinStrom project.
They are smallish, bright and only 55/60 Watts. Make sure to buy the adapter plate unless you have some good fabrication tools.

Those, and a set of 10W LED driving lights is lots of light.
Hey OaklandStrom!
Which 10W LED driving lights do you have? Could you throw me a link, please?
Thanks so much!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
As far as the headlight goes, you could put a 55/100w bulb in and it should be alright. I find that this combo works very well and the 100w hi beam really lights the road up. I had a 75w pencil beam on a XJ750 attached to an auxillary switch that was directed just past my hi beam and that was a true driving light.
With the fairing, about the only option that would look decent and offer more coverage would be an EX500 fairing with a taller shield, any more than that would start looking bulbus. A Corbin seat would acually drop you down an inch and even that small amount helps during the winter!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Which 10W LED driving lights do you have? Could you throw me a link, please?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...607184&page=25

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hst...off/Detail.bok

3600lm, LED ruggedness...that and a PWM dimmer should make a great headlight. I'm trying out the Model 44, cause I'm broke.