User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #16
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Great ride on Saturday. Here's a slideshow of my pics

"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
NG DS Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
After lunch, John (GALX250) asked me when we would be getting back to Ellijay. I had no idea I had not done this route before....actually we hadn't really decided on a route after lunch. He had a date with his wife and needed to be home by a certain time. He considered heading back by himself but had no idea how we got here. When I come up with a route, it usuelly involves lots of obscure little roads. I often don't know the names of many of them. We finally came up with a plan and I told him I'd get him back by 6. 6 would work for him. Of course, John had never ridden with me before. He didn't realize that when I say things like: "It's going to be a warm sunny day", "there will be little of no mud on todays ride", or "it's only a couple of miles".................it really means: "we'll be riding in the snow", or "there's no mud...only deep Georgia clay" or "It's a long way"

So off we went on the afternoon ride. I don't know the names of the first few roads, only that we went up Trey Mountain and that it was fun

John put together a fantastic video showing what the riding was like and what dual sport riding is all about. The title is: "Dualsport Symphony in Motion" Here's the link: http://www.vimeo.com/13987866

I only took one pic. It was during a break

Great RR.

I moved to this area recently and I agree that the roads are great in and around Helen. Most likely when you came out of the Richard Russell Pkway you turned left on Alt 75 to 75 where you go over the river and see the people tubing the Hooch. At that intersection you turned right on 75 a few hundred yards to 356 towards Unicoi. A couple miles past the Lodge you can turn onto Sky Lake rd and continue on to Sautee or continue on 356 and turn left at Chimney Mtn road (it connects at two sections to 356) from there is an almost 2,000 feet elevation change up Tray Mtn Rd. That FS Road is a workout on the KLR's but great fun. Thanks for the Video!

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB
Great ride on Saturday. Here's a slideshow of my pics

Thanks for adding the pics

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster
Great RR.

I moved to this area recently and I agree that the roads are great in and around Helen. Most likely when you came out of the Richard Russell Pkway you turned left on Alt 75 to 75 where you go over the river and see the people tubing the Hooch. At that intersection you turned right on 75 a few hundred yards to 356 towards Unicoi. A couple miles past the Lodge you can turn onto Sky Lake rd and continue on to Sautee or continue on 356 and turn left at Chimney Mtn road (it connects at two sections to 356) from there is an almost 2,000 feet elevation change up Tray Mtn Rd. That FS Road is a workout on the KLR's but great fun. Thanks for the Video!
Yep, that was the route exactly. Do you know how long the Sky Lake store has been closed? That used to be a great place for lunch.

Thank John (GAKLX250 on klr650.net) for the video

Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Yep, that was the route exactly.p
I was going to say that was awfully familiar sounding
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I rode down Nimblewill Church Road. It looked like they had done some work on the dirt section of the road but I'm not sure what they were trying to do. If anything it was rougher than before, not that that's a bad thing
Eventually dirt changed to pavement.

I enjoy riding on the pavement as well as in the dirt. I love narrow little out of the way roads like this. No traffic, no traffic lights, no double yellow line, and no LEOs trying to prevent me from riding at a reasonable pace.

Throw in a few curves and I'm having a blast

After Nimblewill church road I took FS28 to FS80 to Gaddiston Rd. Gaddiston Rd is another road that starts out Dirt and turns to pavement.

more Gaddiston Rd.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 06:52 PM
Old 08-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #22
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
one of the riders decided to call it the "Mud Hole of Doom".

This come sfrom when I was riding with Don and nearly had my front wheel slide away from me in a patch of innocent looking mud.

I named it the Mud of Doom as if it was an Indiana Jones movie title
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #23
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman
one of the riders decided to call it the "Mud Hole of Doom".

This come sfrom when I was riding with Don and nearly had my front wheel slide away from me in a patch of innocent looking mud.

I named it the Mud of Doom as if it was an Indiana Jones movie title
Thanks for the explanation. The Indiana Jones connection had not occured to me. More about the Tree of Doom as well as the Trail of Doom still to come

Old 08-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Continueing down the road, I spotted another Bear!!! I was not going to miss getting the pic this time! So I stopped and talked the bear into posing by my bike.

more of Gaddiston RD.

Lots of great curves on this road And no traffic

Then it was right on one of my favorite stretches of twisties, 60 just north of Suches. This is one of those roads where you can
wear the edges off of your tires.

This is a main road and is often clogged with slow moving cages, cruisers and even sportbikes. Today I had a clean run

Old 08-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #25
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Yep, that was the route exactly. Do you know how long the Sky Lake store has been closed? That used to be a great place for lunch.

Thank John (GAKLX250 on klr650.net) for the video
Klaviator,

I was aware that they have been closed for the season (winter) but not that they have been closed for good. Shame as they were a good place for a bite. But a few miles east from the Old Sautee Store on 17 past the south fork with 255 is the Sautee Trail Cafe and they make incredibly good burgers and fries. About 5 miles south of Helen is Beau's Dinner and they are very good too. Hope to find the time from work to join your group for a ride on my KLR sometime!

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaster
Klaviator,

I was aware that they have been closed for the season (winter) but not that they have been closed for good. Shame as they were a good place for a bite. But a few miles east from the Old Sautee Store on 17 past the south fork with 255 is the Sautee Trail Cafe and they make incredibly good burgers and fries. About 5 miles south of Helen is Beau's Dinner and they are very good too. Hope to find the time from work to join your group for a ride on my KLR sometime!
We have a great bunch of KLR riders here in N. GA. Check this thread for upcoming informal rides: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78005
Due to my work schedule I don't get up to the mountains too often but someone is out riding almost every weekend. Come join us

Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #27
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone remember "Cheers", the place where "everybody knows your name"? For me, that place has been Two Wheels Only Motorcycle Resort (TWO) for almost 20 years. It's also my destination for lunch today. As I pull in I see a familiar bike.

This KLR belongs to Paul (Britman). He was part of the group who went to North Carolina with me back in June.

I went inside and ordered lunch. No sign of Paul so I looked around until I found him outside. Paul is one of many recent dual sport converts. Actually, he was a dual sport rider before buying his KLR, he just finally realized that an ST1300 was not the ideal off road bike Good seeing you again Paul.

Heading back inside I sat down at a table with a bunch of TWO regulars. TWO has great food but there are other places around that have great food. What makes this place so special? Where else can you go, just show up with no planning, and find a table full of friends to eat with?

One of the guys there was my friend Mike. Back in 06 we both got new jobs selling motorcycles, he sold Harleys and Buells, I sold yamahas and Kawasakis. It was an eye opening experience for both of us and we spent a lot of time comparing notes. We both moved on to other things. I last saw Mike a few weeks ago and he was bikeless His beloved Buell needed a new bottom end for the motor. The early model Buells had a poor reputation for reliability but I think Mike had fewer problems than I did with my BMW. I think he had around 90k miles on the bike. The good news was that he had a new low mileage Buell - same model as his old bike. We went out for a look and I got a pic.

Nice Bike

Several of us ended up hanging out for awhile. It might have been miserably hot down in Atlanta, but it was comfortable up here.

The famous (or is that infamous) Dirt Vader is on the left, GT (TWO owner) is standing up, relaxing after a busy weekend. I was sitting at the base of the tree until I got up to take this pic. It was a perfect, lazy Sunday afternoon, just hanging out.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 06:55 PM
Old 08-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the great things about TWO, is that it is for motorcyclists only. While we were hanging out, several cars drove into the parking lot. After some confusion, most of them figured out the Motorcycle parking Only signs and left. GT had to clue a couple of them in One guy was looking for a pay phone. TWO probably has the last pay phone in the county. The phone company wanted to take it out but GT talked them into leaving it for awhile. TWO is not far from the Appalachian Trail and hikers often stop in and use the Pay Phone.

After hanging out for awhile, it was time to go ride some more My plan was to head back to FS333 to get a picture of the Tree of Doom. I rode north on 60, then left on Fish Hatchery Rd. I decided to do a little exploring. In the area was a FS road I had partially explored many years ago but never followed it to the end. It was time to see where that road went. Actually, it was more of a trail than a road.

It did not appear that there was much traffic through here. I started to pick up lots of spider webs as I rode along. I suddenly thought of a new use for DRPs multi-tool, more commonly known as saran wrap. I could run some saran wrap from the top of my helmet to the crossbar on my handlebars and it would catch all the spider webs . Then when I was done I could just dispose of the saran wrap

For those who don't know the history of DRP and saran wrap, you can learn the history here: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...=78005&page=39

Or if you can't view the link above, try this(although it only has part of the story): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post13492614 Go to post #15478

As I was riding along, I realized that if something happened to me out here, I was DOOMED because it was unlikely that anyone would come along before hunting season. So I decided to name this the "Trail of Doom"

After what seemed like an eternity, I came to this.

The trail continued on the other side of the barrier but I decided not to tempt fate by continueing on.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I stopped and took a couple of pics on the way back out to show how overgrown this trail was.

And one more.

There are still a couple of trails back here that I need to explore but I decided to save them for next time.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #30
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
I could read these reports all day

I was just up at the hatchery a couple weekends ago camping with the family and saw a huge black bear!!

Keep the reports coming
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote