Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Klr650
I could read these reports all day

I was just up at the hatchery a couple weekends ago camping with the family and saw a huge black bear!!

Keep the reports coming
Glad you enjoyed it. Here's a couple of ride reports in the N. GA Mtns:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557668
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566278

And some in N.C. and TN:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512682
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589110

Come ride with us and you may get to be part of a future ride report.

I'll try to finish up this report this afternoon.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #32
col klink
the str8n'r

Oddometer: 87
N GA dual sort riding PARKING in Jasper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator
Sunday morning I wake up tired and sore from Saturday's ride. I must be getting old. Although I prefer riding with someone else, there are advantages to riding solo. Today I have no schedule to keep, and no real plan. I decide to make it an easy lazy day. I load up my trusty old 93 DR250 and head for the mountains. Normally I drive to Ellijay and unload there. Today I decide to do something different and cut the drive short and unload in Jasper.

There are some "unnattended vehicles will be towed" signs but i figure i'll be OK leaving my truck here for the day. If anyone has a better suggestion for parking in Jasper, I'd love to hear it.

Thye advantage of parking in Jasper is that it cuts 20-25 miles off my drive and still allows for a good route to the mountains.
There are some awesome roads around Jasper.
Ya'll are welcome to park in my parking lot in Jasper, GA.
I am in the Mountain City Business Park. Right behind the new walmart.
Come to GMDATL.com at the end of Confederate Ave.
Some weekends I could actually ride with ya'll, or at least show you some routes around here to get you off the highway sooner.

2008 KLR685 w/Stage1 porting, Stock exhaust and intake,
GMDATL Alignment Correction (str8n'd the frame)
GMDATL spec/Racetech Goldvalve Emulators,
GMDATL spec/Racetech Shock Goldvalve, remote reservoir, compression adjuster and a 400# spring.
It's str8 now but it wasn't when it was new.
parabellum tall shield

www.gmdatl.com
Kent Soignier
col klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 AM   #33
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by col klink
Some weekends I could actually ride with ya'll, or at least show you some routes around here to get you off the highway sooner.
I'll probably be taking you up on your offer. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #34
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After the "Trail of Doom", it was time to head down FS333 to find the Tree of Doom. Riding along, I almost missed it. I stopped, turned around and took a pic:

It doesn't look very impressive. More of a log than a tree. Actually, it looks more like a twig. The "Twig of Doom"??? Bob, I can't believe you let this little twig get the better of you

It did seem a lot bigger yesterday. Maybe it was swollen from being so wet and the dry weather shrank it? Also, someone had moved it out of the road.

30 hours or so of dry weather had completely changed this road. Yesterday it was wet and slippery and somewhat of a challenge to the less experienced off road riders. Today it was so easy that Don could have ridden his Valkyrie through here

Well, there was still a short stretch that might have been a challenge on the Valkyrie.

Maybe if he aired down the Valkyrie's tires

Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Time to head back to Jasper. I ride over the mountain again on 136. As I normally do I stop at this overlook to take in the view. The Kudzu is really taking over and has almost covered the guardrail.

Due to the heat and humidity, it's pretty hazy out there. Up here on the mountain, the temperature is pretty comfortable. Unfortunately, it's downhill from here. By the time I get to Jasper, it's pretty hot. The sign says 95 degrees and I believe it.

There are many that wouldn't think of putting their bike on a trailer or in the back of a truck but I'm glad that I'll be doing the last 40 miles of highway and stop and go city traffic in the air conditioned comfort of my truck

It's been a long time since I've had a weekend that I could ride for two days in a row. I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend

I can't wait until the next time I get to go ride

Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #36
06Klr650
RidingCountry.com

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend
Me either
06Klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #37
cheaterbiker
AKA gaklx250

Oddometer: 10
nice ride report

Hey klaviaator ,
Awsome ride report. the tree of doom does look a lot bigger at 35 mph when you dont hit it square .I wish I had my video camara rolling when you did that one legged side winding save at the edge of a huge dropoff.Must have been a couple hundred feet to the bottom if you cleared the trees.
John AKA gaklx250
cheaterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #38
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaterbiker
Hey klaviaator ,
Awsome ride report. the tree of doom does look a lot bigger at 35 mph when you dont hit it square .I wish I had my video camara rolling when you did that one legged side winding save at the edge of a huge dropoff.Must have been a couple hundred feet to the bottom if you cleared the trees.
John AKA gaklx250
Cheaterbiker??? Good choice for a name Welcome to the asylum.

I agree about the video, it would have been nice if it had been rolling at the Tree of Doom. I liked your camera setup. I think I may need to invest in something like that in the near future. Your video added a lot to the ride report. Great choice in background music

Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #39
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Time to head back to Jasper. I ride over the mountain again on 136. As I normally do I stop at this overlook to take in the view. The Kudzu is really taking over and has almost covered the guardrail.

I know that overlook, nice view from up there.

We ride back over that way sometimes.

If you are riding on the streets, should back over to Carter's Lake an go up top to the visitors center. Nice view of the lake up there & the dam too.

Then go back through downtown Ellijay to the Cajun Depot and eat lunch. Good food after a day's ride.
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #40
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast
I know that overlook, nice view from up there.

We ride back over that way sometimes.

If you are riding on the streets, should back over to Carter's Lake an go up top to the visitors center. Nice view of the lake up there & the dam too.

Then go back through downtown Ellijay to the Cajun Depot and eat lunch. Good food after a day's ride.
One of the great things about this area is that there is great riding and great views in every direction. I've been riding this area since my first trip to N GA from Florida in 1990 and I still haven't come close to exploring it all.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to live here. I have lived in several places where the riding sucked and it was hard to find anyone to ride with.

Another great thing about this area is that there are so many great people to ride with. I met all of the people I rode with on Saturday on KLR650.net. What a great group of guys, We all have different riding skills and ride at different speeds however, we still have fun riding together. Everyone rides at their own speed and we regroup at intersections or somtimes just at good places to stop. If you are interested in going riding with a group but are worried about being a new rider or inexperienced in the dirt, there is no need to worry. Come join us! All you need is a desire to have fun and a passion for riding. One warning; if you do something crazy, silly, or just different, you will never hear the end of it from this group Just ask DRP

Oh yeah, one more thing, take everything I say with a grain of salt, I lie a lot But not on purpose

I have also met many great people on this forum and at TWO.

Hope to see Ya'll up in the mountains!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
Awesome ride Win .

One of these days we have to hook up. LoveShack doesn't prefer some of the technical fire roads, but she's familiar with the paved stomping grounds just to the north of you...

I appreciate you posting photos of my favorite roads to ride .

Maybe one of these days you can show me around .

As of now, I'll be just north of you next weekend.

Oh hell yeah

Dave
Dave, I agree about hooking up one of these days. I have no idea when, but I'm sure one day the timing will be right and we'll make it happen.

Although I spend a lot of time off road in stuff that might be a little rough for loveshack, my first love is rippin down a twisty section of pavement and wearing the edges off my tires

Right now I'm riding thumpers but I think I may see a Wee in my future

Enjoy your ride next weekend I wish I could join you!

Win

Old 08-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #42
cheaterbiker
AKA gaklx250

Oddometer: 10
Quote:

Right now I'm riding thumpers but I think I may see a Wee in my future

Win
Win,
If you have a yearning to ride a wee I have an 07 you are welcome to ride . let me know we can work something out. I have wanted to ride a klr once to see what a big thumper feels like.
John
cheaterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #43
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaterbiker
Win,
If you have a yearning to ride a wee I have an 07 you are welcome to ride . let me know we can work something out. I have wanted to ride a klr once to see what a big thumper feels like.
John
Thanks for the offer. I have ridden a Wee on a couple of occasions, that's one reason I want one. I think it's one of the best, and most under rated bikes out there, as well as a lot of bang for the buck. You're welcome to ride my KLR some time. Maybe next time we ride together...that is if I don't bring my cheater

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #44
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by col klink

Thanks Kent we will take you up on that offer!

Don
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote