User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
creola OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
TAT Riders

I know there are at least a couple of you that have ridden the TAT within the last couple of years. I am leaving some time between the middle of August to the first of September and have 9 days before I need to be back to complete a project.

Presently, I have the first three legs, TN, MS and AR, worth of maps and charts.

This looks like about 1300 miles of TAT plus another 1500 to 1800 miles of travel to and from.

I understand most of TN is pavement. What about MS and AR?

I'll be riding the Rat, solo of course.

Any and all comments appreciated.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,292
MS, AR and eastern OK are great. Always good to check recent ride reports.

Have fun.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh
MS, AR and eastern OK are great. Always good to check recent ride reports.

Have fun.
+1!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,639
Any and all parts of the TAT were enjoyable in their own way, in my opinion. Yes, the TN portion does have more pavement than the other states, but still enjoyable in its own right. Normally I'd say do the whole thing from start to finish..... ......but as you already stated you have a limited amount of time available. With this in mind, I'd still suggest that you start in Jellico. Then the next time you get some vacation time, just pick up where you left off. In this way, you'll hopefully eventually have run the entire length of the trail.

Another reason is with regards to a rider's skill level. I do not know you, and therefor have no idea how long you've been riding and how skilled you are off road. However, I will say that by starting in TN, you start out with the easier stuff, and the trail progressively becomes more challenging as you go. Grant it, you don't really reach anything too difficult until you reach CO.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is don't skip TN. People say its under-rated, but I disagree. As Sanjoh said, check recent RRs and then make your decision. You can always check out my RR from last year; not so recent, but I did take lots of pictures!

My Ride Reports.
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #5
creola OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I will ride it start to finish. I just need to do it in about 3 segments. That is the best I can do at this time. I am hopeful to get TN, MS and maybe part of Arkansas done on this trip.

As far as my experience goes. I guess I'll know that when I get into deep trouble. Riding it alone causes me a little anxiety. I am 65 so perhaps I need a little anxiety to keep my mind off ObamaCare.

One thing does concern me though. I am hearing a lot of comments about dogs. A friend of mine from TN said dogs could be the worst problem in the TN segment. Can you confirm or deny that dogs are a problem?

I am planning to leave Saturday August 21 and take a couple days to get to Jellico.

I found the roll chart logs too cumbersome so I have inputted about 200 waypoints to the GPS for the TN segment.