User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #31
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Nirvana

Dave mentioned Nirvana and this ride dished out a little to me as well. Riding with Dave, and Larry who I haven't ridden with in a while was fantastic. Mark, pleasure meeting you and we'll ride again, great photos guys!

Absent of Mind
I had to pack quick the night before after my daughter's birthday dinner, can't believe I forgot so much stuff, I was thinking to myself when I finally loaded the panniers, "man these boxes hold a lot more shit than I remember!"

However that didn't matter, the ride was spirited when needed and we stopped for photos and java, all the necessities! Weather was absolutely great!

This was one of those times when everything was good no matter what. Riding, stopping, whatever, all was great. I enjoyed meeting you too Dana, fun night!

Here are the brothers riding off. I'm soaking it all in.

Spruce Knob Lake, howdy Dave!!

The lake thinks of the sky...

donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #32
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,989

iDave ride reports do not suck.

Thanks Dave. Somehow, you always make me dream of riding, and make me think a little deeper.

Godspeed bro.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #33
Robert-31320
Agent of Chaos

Oddometer: 95
Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #34
Elkhound
Hunting Dog

Oddometer: 995
And after such a great ride getting there, much of the fun was off of the bikes.
Camp on!

(Once again) Some great pics Don.
Elkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #35
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,447
Nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
OK, a few more...

Almost Heaven...... West Vaginyaaa, mounten maaama, take me home

Dave's tearin it up,

These brothers can haul some wood!

My favorite shot of the whole trip;

Another shot of Dana

Somehow, Dana's impersonation of Led Zep IV and Dave's magic moment are connected. Here's Dave in his totally contented state of mind,

There's a feeling I get
When I look to the west
And my spirit is crying
For leaving

In my thoughts I have seen
Rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those
Who stand looking

I dont need no stinkn tent poles!! (do need the other pole though!)

Was a great time, I said goodbye to Dave and Dana, was inspiring to see them ride off together. I walked around the campground, talked to another camper for a while, the made my way out. On the maps this is known as a "hairy forest road"

Thanks for the great report Dave, we'll do it again soon!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #37
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto

Another shot of Dana

Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #38
cube_zombie
Slave to the Cube

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto

My favorite shot of the whole trip;

What a *great* shot!!

My Pics:
http://cubezombie.org/photos
cube_zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #39
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 417
Awesome Dave, thanks for sharing it. As much as I hate to be 'out of my element', it seems as though we can learn about ourselves the most when we are there. So....are you shopping for a tent and sleeping bag?

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #40
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 463
Dave, it was great chatting with you this evening. I just finished reading your ride report and I have a couple of comments.

That 12-mile stretch of nirvana is something I have experienced before, and not always on the motorcycle. Last year when I rode the Pony Express Trail from St. Joseph, MO, to Sacramento, CA, I had a couple of moments that were euphoric and surreal. One was standing next to the V-Strom in the NE corner of Colorado next to signage of a Pony Express Station--the only thing that identified its location. I stopped, looked around me at the rolling plains, breeze blowing softly, sun a few hours from setting, and everything just felt like it was in harmony. I mean total harmony. I could not believe I was standing there. I had similar experiences riding through the desert of Nevada on US 50 and US US 93. Total harmony. Everything in sync.

Many years ago, while driving to a class in Dubuque, Iowa, I was playing a George Winston tape, "Winter into Spring." Everything was surreal, it was like a music video was playing in my head and in front of me as I drove across the Mississippi River. The geese were plentiful. Snow was melting. Harmony.

It is the memory of moments like this that makes me search for more. It is not easy to explain, except to those who have experienced that nirvana. It's embedded in the memory like a favorite tune--can't get it out of your head.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #41
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 979
I waited until the end this time to chime in (I was twitchin' at the keyboard).

As always, well done and thanks for putting this out there and cluing us all in to the sublime. It's truly appreciated.

Too much flying for work over the past several weeks and not enough sleep so my comments are probably less than coherant (sorry 'bout that).

-James
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 AM   #42
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrentMiller
Dave, it was great chatting with you this evening. I just finished reading your ride report and I have a couple of comments.

That 12-mile stretch of nirvana is something I have experienced before, and not always on the motorcycle. Last year when I rode the Pony Express Trail from St. Joseph, MO, to Sacramento, CA, I had a couple of moments that were euphoric and surreal. One was standing next to the V-Strom in the NE corner of Colorado next to signage of a Pony Express Station--the only thing that identified its location. I stopped, looked around me at the rolling plains, breeze blowing softly, sun a few hours from setting, and everything just felt like it was in harmony. I mean total harmony. I could not believe I was standing there. I had similar experiences riding through the desert of Nevada on US 50 and US US 93. Total harmony. Everything in sync.

Many years ago, while driving to a class in Dubuque, Iowa, I was playing a George Winston tape, "Winter into Spring." Everything was surreal, it was like a music video was playing in my head and in front of me as I drove across the Mississippi River. The geese were plentiful. Snow was melting. Harmony.

It is the memory of moments like this that makes me search for more. It is not easy to explain, except to those who have experienced that nirvana. It's embedded in the memory like a favorite tune--can't get it out of your head.

Brent
I appreciate this comment. I've experienced such a feeling a few times and usually in similar SW wide open spaces kind of locations. I stood on the side of a road in Utah in the absolute middle of nowhere in the morning sun watching a Bald Eagle circle watching me back. It was almost like we were communicating. I've experienced a similar moment with wild horses in the high west country only an hour from home. It always seems to involve complete desolation and raw nature with no sign man ever existed apart from the road itself. Thanks.

Great stuff again Dave. What I would give to join you hooligans camping. I'd bring the Canadian Rye Whiskey of course.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #43
outlier8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
This was another inspiring ride. I like the terrain, the smiles and the hope in the report ... love the firewod photos
outlier8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #44
Elder_Rogue
Loser Gone Wild

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave
, but next weekend will be a different story Dave
Lay down that boogie and play that funky music
Elder_Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #45
prometheus rising