ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-28-2004, 01:05 PM   #1
quadzillabill OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Mid-Michigan
Oddometer: 258
Pelican setup for 99 640 Adv R

I'm a big fan of the pelican boxes in general, as they are tough very useful for keeping things dry. I'd like to get a parts list, instructions and most importantly insight on putting on a rack like the Happy Trails and adding on two panniers and a top box.

Who's got this setup and what can you tell me about it?

Is it possible (or advisable) to color match them to the bike?

Thanks, Q
quadzillabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,762
Start here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59880
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #3
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,590
Not a KTM dude, but I do run this setup on my Transalp. I really love the Pelican boxes. I've got two 1550 cases as side boxes and one 1400 as a top box (I also made a rack to fit on top of the top box).

These cases can take a beating no problem. The only thing is a person could break into these cases much easier than the AL cases. Just takes a solid knife to cut the lock bracket off.

I'd go with black for a color. That way if you ever needed to sell them... they won't be difficult to get rid of.
__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,590
Here's photo of my ride with the boxes. Happytrails.com makes the same SU racks for your KTM.

__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Here's photo of my ride with the boxes. Happytrails.com makes the same SU racks for your KTM.


exelent work on the bike;also like the tall fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
The only thing is a person could break into these cases much easier than the AL cases. Just takes a solid knife to cut the lock bracket off.
the newer models adress that ussing a stainless steel reinforcement ,,I just so one the other day.

I get them from Pelican4 less for super cheap,,selct the option with out the foam since you don't really need and i also a lot cheaper..

the 1550 comes in yellow,orange ,black or grey and cost less than a $100 dollars.

they are incredible,,if pelican ever made a specific motorcycle pannier(dream on) will render the rest of the bags obsolete, except for the lack of bling bling they will be all you want on a bag,,

Oh boy do i have some designs for this,,,
__________________
Wanted: worn, ugly, cheap motorcycle cover for a big GS 1200
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #6
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
exelent work on the bike;also like the tall fender


the newer models adress that ussing a stainless steel reinforcement ,,I just so one the other day.
Thank you sir.


How cool... I'm glad to hear they've fixed that issue on the locking area. Chumps... figures they'd do this AFTER I got my boxes!
__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrover
Thank you sir.


How cool... I'm glad to hear they've fixed that issue on the locking area. Chumps... figures they'd do this AFTER I got my boxes!
on the contrary you are more than welcome

I'm sure you can make you own with out much trouble,,sorry i'm camaraless this days,,if not I get your a photo...

even call pelican maybe they have a retrofit kit or something,,the piece is basically a *C* shape pice of stainless with a hole drill true it,,almost pennytech but as ussual brilliant and simple

so who want to start a "Pelican case Fetish club"
I be the one in charge of the Luggage
__________________
Wanted: worn, ugly, cheap motorcycle cover for a big GS 1200
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:32 PM   #8
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn

so who want to start a "Pelican case Fetish club"
I be the one in charge of the Luggage
The more I look at the concept and pricing... the more I'm getting "pelicanish" about it. And you can get 'em in orange too!
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Frank Warner
Traveller
 
Frank Warner's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 6,593
I've got two of the 1550 as side panneriers.

I'm puting them on with the lid mounted to the bike - so whan it opens most of the gear is not going to fall out of the case.

I've put two internal mounts inside the case so I can put a strap across the inside to hold the luggage in. I'm thinking of a cargo mesh type thingy to put in the lid to stop thinks in there from falling out when the case is open.

The mounts to the bike are made of plastic - mostly kitchen cutting board material that is hard wearing, cheap and easy to replace. Might do some photos after I'm happy with tests. Ahh the fame itself is steel, just the bits that will wear are plastic.

---
I'm no too worried by the locks being easy to bypass - they could always open the case with a band saw. Putting trhe stainless steel reinforcing on may just move the easiest point of entry to some place that will make the bags inoperable after attack.

---
Ideally I'd like a top opening case (you can pack more in). About the same size as the 1550, but larger in height. And with more chamfer on the bottom external edges.

---
Colour (kullor for ewes 'mericans) matching? Well where I go I want them white for minimum temperature!
__________________
Regards Frank Warner
motorcycles BMW R80 G/S 1981, BMW K11LT 1993, BMW K75 G/S
http://www.geocities.com/fwarner_au/
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave
 
Ricardo Kuhn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Salt lake city, Utah
Oddometer: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
The more I look at the concept and pricing... the more I'm getting "pelicanish" about it. And you can get 'em in orange too!
oh man this things are the "Land rover" of the bags,,I see them floating in the amazon river carring really expensive film camaras equipment I also see them use for "Floaters" attache to cars crossing the same rivers..

personally i treat mine like S^^T use them for Milk crattes, center stands, seats(chairs), steps,,aka anything you can think..
hell I even use them to carry things inside them,,what else can you want..
__________________
Wanted: worn, ugly, cheap motorcycle cover for a big GS 1200
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
on the contrary you are more than welcome

I'm sure you can make you own with out much trouble,,sorry i'm camaraless this days,,if not I get your a photo...

even call pelican maybe they have a retrofit kit or something,,the piece is basically a *C* shape pice of stainless with a hole drill true it,,almost pennytech but as ussual brilliant and simple

so who want to start a "Pelican case Fetish club"
I be the one in charge of the Luggage
I just got off the phone with Pelican. I asked about the newer locking bracket. They told me it's a molded-in deal. That there will be no retrofit kit. Oh well, maybe a couple razor blades placed just so by the latches might do the trick. It sucks we even have to worry about this stupid kind of shit in the first place.

Fetish Pelican club? I'm almost there. Damn I love these boxes!
__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #12
modrover
BOOMSHANKA!
 
modrover's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: WA, USA
Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
oh man this things are the "Land rover" of the bags,,I see them floating in the amazon river carring really expensive film camaras equipment I also see them use for "Floaters" attache to cars crossing the same rivers..

personally i treat mine like S^^T use them for Milk crattes, center stands, seats(chairs), steps,,aka anything you can think..
hell I even use them to carry things inside them,,what else can you want..

Fook'nhell... can you imagine if you had family that worked for them?!
__________________
~Michael (of The Land of Misfit Land Rovers)
Had an Africa Twin and Transalp
X-Files Gov't Issue Sprinter TurboDiesel
Series IIA 109" Land Rover Deluxe Station Wagon
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #13
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
oh man this things are the "Land rover" of the bags,,I see them floating in the amazon river carring really expensive film camaras equipment I also see them use for "Floaters" attache to cars crossing the same rivers..

personally i treat mine like S^^T use them for Milk crattes, center stands, seats(chairs), steps,,aka anything you can think..
hell I even use them to carry things inside them,,what else can you want..
I've owned two of them for over 10 years now. One for my benchrest rifle and the other for two expensive handguns. The rifle case fell out of my old truck once on the freeeway when I zigged to avoid a boat that came loose of it's truck... never came open, in fact, the 36x Leupold scope didn't even change zero. Tough stuff for a good price.
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #14
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
...Ideally I'd like a top opening case (you can pack more in). About the same size as the 1550, but larger in height. And with more chamfer on the bottom external edges...
It they made'em like that I'd have some already. Yeah, some right-sized top-loaders would really put the pressure on Jesse and TT and HB et al. Hey, Pelican, you fish-breath, are you listening?
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:02 PM   #15
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
I'm thinking of a cargo mesh type thingy to put in the lid to stop thinks in there from falling out when the case is open.
That is an excellent idea Frank!

How about a small motorcycle bungee hooked cargo net. Only about $5 a piece.
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014