Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,247
A question for all of you connoisseurs of aesthetics...

Yes a question to all the fine gents (ladies as well!) of taste here - anyone??!?!?

Would it look good (or goofy) if I was able to "fill in" the areas cut out of the KTM logo on my tank? What I mean is, if the "decal" could continue into those voids in a manner that is consistant with the logo. Am I saying it right?

See tank here and no jabs over the crappy decal application, it is only a template.

Thanks for the input.

M
Old 11-28-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE

Would it look good (or goofy) if I was able to "fill in" the areas cut out of the KTM logo on my tank? What I mean is, if the "decal" could continue into those voids in a manner that is consistant with the logo. Am I saying it right?

mike I'm a little confusee with your question,,if what you are trying to ask is if you need to fill in the spaces of the holes with orange.

personally i will say I like the way you did it and i will leave it that way,actually the tape aplication looks pretty good already at least at "Speed"
are you planning to paint it or use a "sticker"? if is a sticker made sure is the 2MM type tape(please tell me were you find it,because I need some for my grey tanks)so it can start the test of time.

also will be great if james can modified your seat so some of the orange from the logo goes into the seat to make the whole look more togheter..
Old 11-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Take it all the way baby. A little masking and an airbrush.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #4
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

So you do not think that it will "distort" the KTM? That is my main concern.

I am definitely going to do the "wrap" sections on both sides for a bit different look.

Thanks for the input as I truly appreciate it coming from you.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dennis
Take it all the way baby. A little masking and an airbrush.
Ricky - I do not know how to say it differently - rough translation I am sure. I do not mean to "cover up" rather I mean to have the "logo" go "in" the inlets - see what I mean?

Good idea on the seat Ricky - I will have to see how it all sets up when it is done to see if it warrants it. Had I had your idea earlier, I would have gone with an even larger decal and run it inot the seat for sure!

M
Old 11-28-2004, 03:14 PM   #5
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Pimpin Passmore, Big Pimpin. When do I get a set for an 18 liter tank?

Creeper's gonna be pissed ya know.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
Pimpin Passmore, Big Pimpin. When do I get a set for an 18 liter tank?

Creeper's gonna be pissed ya know.
Creep's fooked... Matey said he don't have the vinyl fo' no purple/blue/orange KTM logos - specifically against KTM Corp policy!

Matey Peeps is da man to look up for some of these. I had to sacrafice some spare parts to him for the set, but I bet he would do you up in some fashion as well - nice fella that Matey Peeps and he does a nice job sizing the cutouts too! Sorry if I am throwin' you unwanted business Matey!

M

PS - Dag, He also sent me a set of smaller ones it seems I will not be utilizing... If they meet your use, I bet I could be persuaded to send 'em your way...
Old 11-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Yes a question to all the fine gents (ladies as well!) of taste here - anyone??!?!?

See tank here and no jabs over the crappy decal application, it is only a template.

Thanks for the input.

M
I'm a bit late to the party on this one but... IMO, I don't think it would look very good to continue the logo into the air vents in the tank.

Why?

Because when viewed from any angle other than the one used to establish the "inward line", it would serve to distort the decal at an angle neither parallel or perpendicular to the desired line, making what is already a difficult to read logo, even more so.

I love the decal though, and would love to have a set in a light to medium blue.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
I'm a bit late to the party on this one but... IMO, I don't think it would look very good to continue the logo into the air vents in the tank.

Why?

Because when viewed from any angle other than the one used to establish the "inward line", it would serve to distort the decal at an angle neither parallel or perpendicular to the desired line, making what is already a difficult to read logo, even more so.

I love the decal though, and would love to have a set in a light to medium blue.
Thanks for weighing in Chris. I appreciate the other "angle"

What it is coming to I think will be cost as well... If it costs significantly more then I will axe it since it will look fine as is.

For your decal - hit up Matey Peeps. I think you will find he does a fine job.

M
Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
What Creep said. Keep the Kat00m look.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 PM   #10
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Thanks for weighing in Chris. I appreciate the other "angle"

What it is coming to I think will be cost as well... If it costs significantly more then I will axe it since it will look fine as is.

For your decal - hit up Matey Peeps. I think you will find he does a fine job.

M
Calling Mr. Peeps...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
So you do not think that it will "distort" the KTM? That is my main concern.

I am definitely going to do the "wrap" sections on both sides for a bit different look.

Thanks for the input as I truly appreciate it coming from you.

M
if you really want to go bananas you can paint a little orange on the radiators, or some mesh so you can see the letters on the background,,this will only work on the side view so i will not botter..maybe just ask Matey to send you some scrap and play with it,,is no wrong way,,but some shapes and proportions will look better than others..

In fact in my Purple bike I made Neon green stickers(as big as yours) with a silver outline and personally i think they look far better than stock, maybe a grey(darker or lighter than the tank), silver or blue litlle outline will help to hold the shape of the letters even better
Quote:

Ricky - I do not know how to say it differently - rough translation I am sure. I do not mean to "cover up" rather I mean to have the "logo" go "in" the inlets - see what I mean?
i do agree with Creeper and you about the confussing view of the KTM ideogram,,maybe you can do a mix of the two and continue a line of orange at the perpenticular "pipes"(holes) but leaving a space
on the angle elements,,I guess I don't like to prettend to flow up the shape of the KTM like the angles on the tank are not there..

sorry If i'm a little confusing.

Just keep trying and if you don't like find some cool rocks to scrape the stickers off..
Old 11-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #12
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
maybe you can do a mix of the two and continue a line of orange at the perpenticular "pipes"(holes) but leaving a space
on the angle elements,,I guess I don't like to prettend to flow up the shape of the KTM like the angles on the tank are not there..

sorry If i'm a little confusing.

Just keep trying and if you don't like find some cool rocks to scrape the stickers off..
I could have sworn I already posted this... but I guess not

Something like this? With paint?

Old 11-28-2004, 07:30 PM   #13
PASSMORE OP
Just the last name...

No. Not what I am saying at all.

Unfortunately I am not skilled enough to do it on PS.

I am talking about taking the lines of the logo itself right on into the holes...

M

Quote:

Old 11-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #14
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:

well kind off..

I will like to see in orange only the parts to continue the letters,,evn if is broken,,not the whole "circle"(hole) so if you see it from the front or back is a little more complete ,I will think a If a horizontal line can be draw from were the orange stops and follow until the end of the tank the letters will be easier to read,,trying to make the ornage in the holes follow the angles of the letters is futile since from every angle or even more any height the visual will be diferent ..

you know I better describe this later ,my head hurts to much at the moment to make any sense..

sorry i be back later
Old 11-28-2004, 07:51 PM   #15
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
M
Keep it clean and uncluttered. Think you're going to distort and detract from the look if you put too much additional color in the vents. IMMHO. In other words, keep it like it was in pic 1.
JB
jonb is offline   Reply With Quote