User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Oil Filters

Has anyone found a reusable oil filter yet?
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver
Has anyone found a reusable oil filter yet?
Scotts have them. Not cheap...

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Scotts Performance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Xsky-
What sort of bike do you have?
Thanks-
Eric
Scotts Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,293
K&P has one too. I've got one on my bike now. It's a pretty blingy looking unit. I can't comment yet on ease of cleaning, durability etc since it's only been on for about 5000km. I'll have to do an oil change in a month or so though so I'll post up then.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Ever wonder why bikes dont come with washable oil filters and they are not even available as a OEM option?
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVGS
Ever wonder why bikes dont come with washable oil filters and they are not even available as a OEM option?
Because they are more expensive, need special equipment to be cleaned, make a mess, don't filter as well as paper (I know what Scotts claims but have seen actual tests done on laboratory microscope saying otherwise) etc.

If you have an ultrasonic parts washer dedicated for just your oil filters (otherwise everything you put in there later will be greasy with the oil floating in whatever solvent you use) and you ride a lot on a bike with short service internals it might make sense, but for a bike like the F8 no way.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Because they are more expensive, need special equipment to be cleaned, make a mess, don't filter as well as paper (I know what Scotts claims but have seen actual tests done on laboratory microscope saying otherwise) etc.

If you have an ultrasonic parts washer dedicated for just your oil filters (otherwise everything you put in there later will be greasy with the oil floating in whatever solvent you use) and you ride a lot on a bike with short service internals it might make sense, but for a bike like the F8 no way.
I fully agree with this. Though I can't speak to the filtering capabilities of paper vs micronic stainless steel, I can speak directly with experience about how much of a pain in the ass they are to use. I used a stainless steel micronic filter on both of my KLR650's (2-3 yrs).

Firstly, and for me the main caveat: The chemicals involved in the cleaning process are harsh on the hands, lungs, nostrils, sinuses, and brain cells. Even when used outside! Some of the more effective ones being accelerated cancer-causers. You need to use a very powerful solvent such as a degreaser, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent. They claim you could use dish soap, but trust me, from experience you will be sitting there for a very long time before dish soap ever gets the filter clean. Even when a degreaser is used, it still takes an extended amount of time to make sure the thing is even getting somewhat clean. For me that's time not riding.

Secondly, you can never get the thing actually clean. There are always metal particles left behind. You can dunk and spray that element over and over until your heart is content and it will STILL have not removed the metal particles. I don't know if this is due to some sort of magnetism between the element and the particles themselves or what, but they do not come off. Whereas, when you buy a new paper element filter, you know for sure it is perfectly clean in there.

This has been my personal first hand experience with these micronic stainless steel oil filters.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,094
Since we're talking oil filters, how many people don't change their filter @ 3000 miles, just the oil?

sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. You can always find 10w-40 motorcycle oil, but finding a dealership can be much harder when traveling.
According to my BMW sources, you don't need to the filter but every 6000 miles, just like on my R bike.

any thoughts?

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 4,717
Chi Town, I worked for one 'o them old timey type mechanics who always did the "This time oil only, next time oil and filter" routine.

All types of vehicles.

My dad does it with my moms Porsche 356 to no ill effect (for the last 20 or so years).

I do it with the KLR (I know, how cheap) to no ill effect.

If I am running HARD, lots of dirt, low gear climbs, low gear for miles, I'll change the filter as well. I have NO scientific backing or training as a mechanic but I feel that being harder on the motor in that way is harder on the oil, and more deserving (?) of an oil and filter change.

Out on the hard-top for miles, I'll extend the oil change and skip the filter everyother time.

Any REAL mechanics out there that can shed some light?

Oh, and ChiTown, get to work on the RR!! You, and the Man from Mars are two of my favorites. So get crackin!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Why go through all this oil trouble? BMW recommends a simple 10W40 and their $15 oil filter every 6000 miles. Cheap and easy. Are engines failing out there due to this manufacturer's recommendation warranting all this fret about oils and filters?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Rabbi
Oh, and ChiTown, get to work on the RR!! You, and the Man from Mars are two of my favorites. So get crackin!

We're both giggin' right now... soon though.

Thanks for the reply!

LostRider.com
Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore
Why go through all this oil trouble? BMW recommends a simple 10W40 and their $15 oil filter every 6000 miles. Cheap and easy. Are engines failing out there due to this manufacturer's recommendation warranting all this fret about oils and filters?

I don't know about others bikes, but mine lets me know when it's time for an oil change.
about 3000 miles my valve's start getting louder and other strange noises start to happen, especially when cold. It always comes out very black and not looking good at 3000, can't imagine what it would be like after 6000 - on my bike. with fresh oil the racket goes away.

for the way I ride, $25 worth of oil is no biggy... I'm far from being anal about maintenance and honestly don't care how long this bike will last in the "long" term (my current attitude is it's temporary bike until a better one comes out, I break it, or I get bored), but MAN I hate that noise it makes when the oil's old!
So far it haven't broke it, and am far from bored with it so I'll do what I can to keep the engine from blowing up the next time I do a 1300 mile in 24 hour @ high speed Iron Butt ride, or steep mountain climb.

So who else just changes the oil?

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 12:23 PM
Old 10-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
So far it haven't broke it, and am far from bored with it so I'll do what I can to keep the engine from blowing up the next time I do a 1300 mile in 24 hour @ high speed Iron Butt ride, or steep mountain climb.

So who else just changes the oil?
I have a stash of filters at my house (K&N) and they are super easy to replace (nut integrated into the housing) so I always change the filter too.

I can see how you would have trouble getting filters on longer rides and I would be right there with you if I go on an extended trip, oil change only unless a filter is readily available.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #14
SCVGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM

Exactly!
SCVGS is offline   Reply With Quote