User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
DualDude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bike to bike communication

I am interested to find a bike to bike communication system that has the ability to communicate with other systems. Many of my riding buds have different systems. It seems they can't communicate unless the other riders have the same systems. Is there a system that communicates with any other system? Second, I am looking at the Cardo Scala Rider G9 Headset. Does anyone use the Scala 9 if so what do you think of it. Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks
DualDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Spektrum84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I think you're out of luck on cross platform compatibility. Yeah it sucks. Tell all your buddies to communicate next time before they decide to go out and get a new com system
Spektrum84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
seebag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
No luck. See the link below:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...compatibility/
seebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
puckinet
Safety third

Oddometer: 345
Your not going to find any that can cross mfg. I went with the interphone F5 and I am very happy with it. It was the only one (at the time I purchased) that uses Bluetooth 3.0. One of the best thing is you can have up to 6 riders on intercom at the same time and it daisy chains to stretch the distance between riders.

08 KTM 450 EXCR
2010 BMW F800GS
Rick
puckinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I have both a Scala G9 and a Sena sm10.
IMO Sena is the one!
Scala drops others, hard to reconnect, works great if your by yourself. Scala takes much longer to connect to other units. To many small buttons.

Sena is simple and all but fool proof.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
I have the Scala G9, works ok for rider to pillion comms, but I wouldn't use it for bike to bike.

It says there's a range of about 1500m from memory, but I think it's pushing things at 500m.

Not bad for rider to pillion. Does almost everything as advertised.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
You could add a VHF radio to the mix. With the Sena, you can add a Bluetooth module that allows you to add hard-wired components, like a private band or HAM radio.

I've got a VHF wired up through my Autocom, but just added a Sena. The Sena works great for a small group, but the VHF can work with anyone using any kind of VHF. And the range can be much greater, though it's not full duplex.
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
From what I understand the Chatterbox X1 (slim) is the only one using FRS frequencies and thereby having a much longer range than others. Also means that you can chat with anybody that has an FRS radio along. I've wanted to try one but haven't had the opportunity yet.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
shashankmittal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I did some research earlier this year on various communication systems and headsets currently available for motorcycles.

There are consumer technologies like FM, Bluetooth, CB, FRS, GMRS and proprietary 2 way radios. In addition to this, all different brands of helmet headsets use their own version of RF (or extended range bluetooth), which is incompatible with each other.

Headsets
Scala, Sena, Chatterbox, Interphone are the known brands. Chatterbox has a good range of 5 miles and uses 40 configurable channels. All others have a range of less than 1 mile. My personal experience with Scala has been troublesome, so I'll probably not recommend it.

The bigger touring bikes like the Goldwing or the BMW 1600, have very robust built-in communication systems, that work over a range of 20 miles or more and use FRS, CB or other technologies. Getting the same done on a sportbike or a naked bike is possible, but expensive and requires extensive equipment.

The easiest solution is to use a common brand of helmet headset to eliminate incompatibility such that everyone can talk to each other. The biggest problem with this is that its not possible to convince everyone to buy the same brand.

This was my list of features in order of priority:
1. Inter bike communication
2. Bluetooth for GPS
3. Bluetooth for phone
4. Long "usable" range for street
5. Music streaming over bluetooth A2DP

This is what I would recommend to someone who isn't on a budget:
1. Helmet headset: Chatterbox X1 slim or Sena SMH10
2. Sena SR10 - bluetooth interface for helmet headset and 2-way radio
3. A compatible 2-way radio hardwired to the bike and Sena SR10 (for helmet bluetooth).
4. Autocom SPA - this is one hell of a device and converges all incompatible devices into a central hub!
Total cost of this system can run anywhere from $500 to $1000.

For those who need a cheaper option:
1. The 'Chatterbox X1 slim' will work for street ride, bike to bike comm, phone calls and music. The best part is that it doesn't require pairing and works with unlimited number of users over 5 mi range. Problem is, it is very very difficult to use (not user friendly). If long range is your requirement, then look no further. If upto 0.5 mile range is play for you, then nothing beats Sena SMH10. The job dial is awesome to use while riding.
2. For off-roading, you can get an extended range 2-way radio that can be used independently without the helmet headset OR connect it to Sena SR10 for headset usage.
Total cost per person anywhere between $150 to $500.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
I switched from Autocom to Sena. I have the SMH10 and the SR10. I can run FRS or my Ham radios off the SR10.
I have my Montana hard wired to the SR10, which then talks to my helmet.
Plus the helmet talks to my phone for calls and music. I also have a SMH10 for the passenger.

Have never tried bike to bike with the SMH10.

I left autocom because I was always fighting feedback (ground loop). and all the custom cables it required.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
From what I understand the Chatterbox X1 (slim) is the only one using FRS frequencies and thereby having a much longer range than others. Also means that you can chat with anybody that has an FRS radio along. I've wanted to try one but haven't had the opportunity yet.
I have a Chatterbox with FRS and the sound quality is very poor. The mics are really poor and pick up lots of wind and road noise. My wife and I gave up even trying to comunicate with each other. I only used it to run my satallite radio.

Plus between my riding buddies and myself we have had a lot of trouble with them. One unit worked fine for one season and then wouldn't broadcast 100 yards. I've had similar problems with mine. We have all had to send them in for repairs.

I currently have a Sena and it has crystal clear sound and music. The range is pretty good, about as far as you can see someone. They still have a problem getting them to sync with other riders like the manual says they should. You are suppose to be able to tap the button once for each rider in priority. It worked that way a few times and other times everyone had to tap theirs to talk.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Comms and Compatibilities

All good discussion and a great summary of things. I do a lot of Bluetooth evaluations and am fortunate enough to have tried most of them over the years. As identified, the Sena SR10 and UClear WT300 provide very good PTT capabilities, so a common radio (FRS/GMSR, Amateur, etc.,) can be used for group and range objectives.

The Sena SM10 provides the Rider/Passenger Audio Sharing capability, but the new Cardo scala rider Q1 and Q3 systems now under evaluation can do the sharing as well, albeit at a limited range of 30 feet or so, as its intended for Rider/Passenger uses.

I do know that the (new) Gen 2 or V2 Midland BT NeXT system has the claimed capability of working with 3 to 4 compatible systems, and up to two other paired headsets of other brands...still awaiting receipt of a set for evaluation to see if the claims are reality. If anyone has tried a set, chime in...these systems, although not well known in NA, have the potential to move the benchmarks and push industry towards more compatibility overall...

Cheers, Bruce
Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Turk34
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I am trying my friends Sena SMH 10 since last week.

pro: easy install, easy directions, connects with GPS and my i-phone via bluetooth easily, sound quality is good (highway-full face helmet), mountain roads (open helmet shiled),

used with passenger about 250 miles and very happy with intercom quality...

con: easily goes from intercom to i-phone for music but having hard time when you tap to connect with intercom..it takes couple tap or stop the bike to re-connect....We possibly miss something to work this out....We will try this weekend again....

I possibly order Sena SMH10 for coming 4th July trip.....
Turk34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
chimo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Here is another option..... It's using two way radios, wired into the bike and powered this way, there are also other connection possibilities, for all your other accessories. It's the Starcom1.com. I haven't used it but will be looking at getting this system once I have the financial resources in place, but looking at all the options out there I feel this is the best solution for a really good communication solution to all the Bluetooth and other systems out there.
chimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimo View Post
Starcom1
I owned it, connected to my Yausu VX6 transceiver. Robust, and I needed it for bicycle races, but what a PITA. When Starcom1 was stopped being made, I switched to Autocom Logic also hooked to the VX6. Both basically the same with a different approach, but Starcom bought financially troubled Autocom, phased their own line out and built on Autocom's system. Sena was such good value and much more convenient, so I switched to Sena SM10 (not to mention Autocom parts and cables were becoming a real rip-off). Sena SM10 cannot equal the ruggedness and sound quality of the wired Autocom, but I was tired of buying cables when they would fail. And fail they did. And when I stopped refereeing bicycles, I gleefully sold all that off.

Rocketmoto.com just posted a clearance sale of all his Starcom stuff, if you want to build on that obsolete system. I liked it, but there's no support.

The new Sena 20S is the one to watch when it is finally shipped, because it may mimic the Autocom's and Starcom's multi-functionality, but all by Bluetooth! And the MSRP for one is about the same as a cabled-up Autocom Logic - $300.

The OP has to decide what his budget is.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 06:19 PM
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote