User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Thumb Old CB250 drug from back of garage

This evening I cleaned the garage enough to wheel out the old Honda CB250. It hadn’t been run since late March 2009. The exhaust pipes had holes rusted in them, so the bike has just sat in the garage.

I turned on the fuel petcock, let it sit while wiping dust from the mirrors, checking the oil level etc. When I hit the starter, I got a surprise. The battery was still up and the engine jumped to life. Guess it was a good gel cell battery. It was very cold blooded and would try to die if the throttle was cracked. I just let it idle for about 10 minutes while checking the tire pressure and putting in more air. The front was at zero psi and the back was about 12 psi. The little compressor made quick work of the task.

The engine was warmed up, ran great so I turned it off and began taking the seat off to get the insurance card and registration. The paperwork had expired, so looked in the file drawer and found the new paperwork. Put those on the bike, got the helmet and jacket and went to the gas station for fuel. There was 182 miles on the trip meter and it took 2.28 gallons to fill it up. The last trip taken was 79.82 mpg. Guess I’ll put some fuel additive in the tank next time I ride it to help clean out the carb.

I decided on a list of things needed for the Honda.

I’m still deciding what else I’d like from that Rebel parts bike, that a adv inmate has offered.

Here’s a photo I took today after the 10 mile ride to get the cobwebs out of the bike. It sure rides different than the DR650 and sits low to the ground. How did I ever ride it over the snowy Santiam Pass with full camping gear?
Attached Images

smilin jack screwed with this post 08-10-2010 at 09:39 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

CB250 Adventure Bike rides again

Here's a picture from Feb 2009 on my solo camping trip, heading over Santiam Pass (4800ft elevation) on the snow packed hwy 20.

Was laid off work and had time, and no adventurous riding buddies.

This picture is cooking breakfast on a cold morning. No thermometer, but the CB250 Adventure bike rode over the snow drifts without leaving tracks. I'd worn the FirstGear insulated one piece rainsuit as pajamas to keep warm. The sleeping bag wasn't up to the task by itself. The wind had come up during the night and made for a noisy tent flapping like a flag.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Santiam Pass with the CB250 and gear

Here's a photo on Santiam Pass with all my camping/hunting gear.

I wore my one piece insulated rainsuit with ski gloves and arctic-pak boots to stay warm. No heated gear for this bike. It wasn't too bad with a ski jacket under the suit and long underwear... and the neoprene snow machine mask.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
cb250 news

I remember your cb250 ride reports and enjoyed them. Mostly because they were different from the rest of the reports on other newer and bigger bikes.

The fact that it started right up is no surprise to me other than the battery not being dead. The bike is ready, are you?
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
tireloe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Family member of the honda, bought the bike last summer, was as old as me and only had traveled 6,000 miles... trip to tejas took care of that. It ate up Tioga pass. PIC00065
PIC00070
tireloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireloe
Family member of the honda, bought the bike last summer, was as old as me and only had traveled 6,000 miles... trip to tejas took care of that. It ate up Tioga pass.
Cool saddle bags, who makes them?

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote