Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #46
gman79au
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use
Famous last words.
always the beginning of a perfectly random adventure... surly someone has traveled along this road in the last few months on a bike?? is it blocked or not? for a motorcycle that is.
gman79au is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #47
theMuleboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman79au
always the beginning of a perfectly random adventure... surly someone has traveled along this road in the last few months on a bike?? is it blocked or not? for a motorcycle that is.
you can do the length of road around that rock, but the river is still pretty high... i would only do it at about 300mm as it runs fast, and is slippery as buggery.

you might get lucky, but it has been raining alot, and creeks are taking ages to go down
theMuleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #48
robmoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,720
I went today the rock still there but you can get past on the bike, Turon river crossing is 200mm deep the road is dusty and quite a few campers and 4wd,s.
robmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #49
gman79au
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Muleboy and Robmoto, that's awesome, packing the bike now. be riding the bridle track on monday.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #50
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Latest news from the council is that engineering assessment of the rock has revealed significant worries with the strength of the entire section of road there. Significant enough that they won't risk driving heavy equipment on it to move the rock.

It is quite likely, in the absence of the tens of millions it would presumably cost to bring this road up to modern standards, that this closure will be permanent. I can't see any public road, in this day and age, being open if it might collapse and take Ma, Pa, their 3 kids and their Patrol, into the ravine with it.

Good news is you can still access most of the camping areas from the Bathurst end, and you can still only get to Hill End on dirt, and the "long way" around (through Sofala) is a great ride in its own right. You might even be forced to stop for some nourishment at the Royal Hotel on your way past...
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #51
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
I'm gonna head along the bridle track on monday from hillend, no idea If its clear but she'll be right mate...... I let you know early next week what the story is with the rock slide. I'm sure its fine.

thanx gman, any info would be great, I'm taking some dirt virgins and don't want anything too daunting for em
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
MudratinOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #52
PBee

Oddometer: 8,272
Your going away with dirty virgins?

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:50 PM   #53
Russ

Oddometer: 15,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudratinOz
thanx gman, any info would be great, I'm taking some dirt virgins and don't want anything too daunting for em
Watch the creek crossing

Pillion gets wet feet

Pic by atgreg.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #54
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee
Your going away with dirty virgins?
Well there not dirty now, but they will be when I've finished with them
The orange does grow on you. You will not notice it at first..but it starts with a few innocent KTM stickers,.progresses to a KTM key ring, to KTM coffee mug and next thing you know, you have gone completely mad and start wearing orange tee shirts.It is a very bad infection..is this yeast infection (Bronx)
Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #55
gman79au
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Russ, looks a bit deeper than my last visit.

chain and sprockets are in good condition this time, actually the whole bike has been replaced with a 650 transalp its like a very refined dommie.

pic of ATgreg
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #56
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

Quote:
Thanks Muleboy and Robmoto, that's awesome, packing the bike now. be riding the bridle track on monday.
So how'd the ride go ?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #57
gman79au
Gnarly Adventurer

awesome! first ride on my 650 transalp, what a machine!!!

Pete on the mighty xt600 crossing the Turon river on the bridle track it wasn't deep, about 200mm some of the crossings along upper turon rd were deeper, just a bit. looking at that log its been flowing well.

the rock fall couldn't be in a worse place (exactly where the car is or cars now)
It is passable on a bike I consider it safe enough. there was probably more risk riding from wollongong to bell with the traffic.

make sure the dirty virgin's bikes have been fixed for river crossings by replumbing carby breathers
Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 AM   #58
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Finally a somewhat definitive answer to whether a bike could get through. I might ride that way on friday if the weather stays ok.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:28 AM   #59
gman79au
Gnarly Adventurer

there has been a steel gate set up from the bathurst end but it looks as if its designed just to stop cars, there is a gap about 1mtr wide for a bike, horse, human to fit through. of cause I'd be taking care when passing the damaged area as the road base looks very loose. you'll see what i mean. its just a F*&king long way down. as is the case with alot of the bridle track, part of the adventure really.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #60
MudratinOz OP
Adventurer in training

thanx gman