Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
A Short Ride Into the Kootenays

Day One

Route Map Link: http://goo.gl/maps/30tR

Departed Ellensburg and visited Wild Horse Wind Farm

Next stop was the Wild Horse Sculptures along I90 near the town of Vantage. Unfortunately due to the forest fires it was very hazy.

Next I visited Soap Lake 'The Place of Healing Waters' and took some pictures of the sundial in the town park and the lake.

MY route took me along the Coulee Corridor which took me to Grand Coulee City with stops at places like Dry Falls and Steamboat Rock.

Grand Coule Dam sure is big-the largest hydro electric facility in the USA and the largest concrete structure as well.

Next stop was Nespelem were I went to the Catholic Cemetery and visited Chief Joseph's grave. (Last of the Indian Wars in the USA)

Some motorcycle road art along Cache Creek Road after Nespelem on my way to Republic, WA.

It was hot in Castlegar so I took a break at this pullout next to a hydro plant.

And, finally arriving at about 6pm at Toad Rock Campground.

So ends day 1. More to follow.

MkD
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Macadam Drifter OP

Day 2 in the Kootenays

Things started slow today, since I had slept in and lounged around the campground. I walked down to the social area and they had coffee on. So I ended up having a few cups and chatting with a few of the guests.

I finally got going and headed north along the western shore of Kootenay Lake. I stopped in Kaslo and fueled up the bike and continued north until the pavement ended and I turned around and went back to Kaslo to take some pictures.

Some Pictures taken at Toad Rock Campground:

I stopped for a very late lunch in Kaslo on my way back to Toad Rock. This is a beautiful community and there were lots of tourists in town when I was there. Lots of motorcycles parked on the west end of town many riders stopping for a bite to eat or just site-seeing. Below are a few pictures from the town.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
Macadam Drifter OP

Day 3-The Ride Home

My journey back to the border crossing was a quick one, regrettably. I did stop for a quick breakfast at a small restaurant near Christine Lake and was slowed down a bit by construction south of Nelson-- otherwise my return to the USA was uneventful.

The border crossing took a bit of time considering I was only the second vehicle. The US Customs guy was very friendly, actually too friendly, he needed to socialize. He obviously enjoyed his job, thus it took about 25 minutes for two vehicles to enter the USA me and before me a retired couple from Alberta in a motorhome. Anyway better a friendly Customs Agent than the other kinds.

My first major stop was in Curlew. I had bypassed this town on the way up and was curious to learn what was there. Below are a few pictures from Curlew.

My next stop was for gas in Republic. From Republic I returned home via the same route I took out.

The bike was performing so well I was able to ride home without stopping for gas until I got back home. My ride north, though a brief journey was quite enjoyable. I hope to return to this part of Canada once again. but hopefully for a longer stay next time. I was quite impressed by the towns of Nelson and Kaslo. The Toad Rock Campground is a must visit for anyone motorcycling in this region. The conversations and diversity of people makes this a fun place to visit.

Electric City Park

Vantage Bridge

Well that’s it for this ride.

MkD