User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Bryn1203 OP
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,809
RC8 Vs. Buell ulysses

Left a KTM 950 SM behind on the way down and..............

http://youtu.be/AtxvM38G9Aw

Nice afternoon ride
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
obvious the KTM rider has no skills, because the Buell is junk.
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06
obvious the KTM rider has no skills, because the Buell is junk.
Yes. Absolutely. Just keep repeating that to yourself.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
Rad, thanks for that.

Nice country side riding.
Matchanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Captain Obvious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
You know those guys in the riced-out sport compacts who jackrabbit from every stop light, thinking they're racing the vehicle next to them, while the other guy has no idea of said race?

Yeah...

EDIT: After watching your video again, I'd have to say the RC8 rider probably just had some semblance of self-preservation left in his riding cache. The traffic level of that road, the quantity of side street entrance and exits, and your closing speed on vehicles traveling the same direction, all combine to indicate a pretty bleak rider IQ picture. Can we look forward to your future work in the Face Plant subforum?

Captain Obvious screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 04:01 PM
Captain Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
You know those guys in the riced-out sport compacts who jackrabbit from every stop light, thinking they're racing the vehicle next to them, while the other guy has no idea of said race?

Yeah...
bingo
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #7
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Is this the basement?

I must have clicked the wrong......oh wait, I'm in the right place.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
Bryn1203 OP
Dances with spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious

Yeah...

EDIT: After watching your video again, I'd have to say the RC8 rider probably just had some semblance of self-preservation left in his riding cache. The traffic level of that road, the quantity of side street entrance and exits, and your closing speed on vehicles traveling the same direction, all combine to indicate a pretty bleak rider IQ picture. Can we look forward to your future work in the Face Plant subforum?
........ Capt. O - it wasn't 'a race' - if watch again you'll notice we let each other pass; it was just what happens on British roads every weekend; two riders going the same direction & riding together & comparing performance. I appreciate your concern but British roads are crowded and narrow & it may appear dangerous but it isn't.
I see the video as just a demonstration that the difference between 150 and 100 bhp doesn't matter, torque is more important.
Cheers
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
........ .
I see the video as just a demonstration that the difference between 150 and 100 bhp doesn't matter, torque is more important.
Cheers
I see the video as having a bit of fun on your weekend ride. Stretching her legs out a bit and making use of what the bike is designed to do.

I guess if you posted a video of you doing the speed limit in traffic making certain not to pass anyone or indulge in a little bit of fun activity, it would be more acceptible.

I'm still working on the video I made last weekend, trying to compress an hour of shots into 6-10 minutes from a 13 hour ride. I'm certain someone will come by and tell me how my Uly sucks, or I shouldn't be exceeding the speed limit or some such shit. Oddly, I had an epic ride anyway, go figure.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
Have fun and keep it up....
Hope you survive

And yes I have spent most of the last 12 years in much worse/better riding conditions in South America.

I see both sides of the picture here...

BUT a big KTM twin is still quite torquey and in general would walk off from a Ulysses.

Not taking anything away from them and they are certainly one of the more interesting bikes HD has made in a while

Bottom line though is "All Things Being Equal" ... they aren't and in traffic like that the biggest factor a formula that consists of Size of Balls and Brain
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Bryn1203 OP
Dances with spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolocopat
Have fun and keep it up....
Hope you survive

And yes I have spent most of the last 12 years in much worse/better riding conditions in South America.

I see both sides of the picture here...

BUT a big KTM twin is still quite torquey and in general would walk off from a Ulysses.

Not taking anything away from them and they are certainly one of the more interesting bikes HD has made in a while

Bottom line though is "All Things Being Equal" ... they aren't and in traffic like that the biggest factor a formula that consists of Size of Balls and Brain
motolocopat........ after the RC8 let me pass we rode on for about ten miles through twisties I know very well, probably better than the RC8 guy. I lost sight of him in the mirrors, lost interest & slowed down, he caught up as I got home. The thing is why didn't the KTM loose the Buell on the long straights? I can't explain it, unless the KTM guy was scared to really open it up or perhaps was new to it.

Today travelling back through heavy traffic I took more chances at half the speed - filtering through 10 miles of packed roads and bumper-to-bumper traffic (A358 Taunton- Ilminster & A303 for anyone who knows Somerset). Didn't take balls or brains, just a keen eye for problems, some mind reading & checking the mirrors for the plod.

I love KTM's & think they are fantastic machines - apart from the thumpers that I think asre over rated (slow) - and superior to Buells in many ways of course, but Buells make some people into buelligans, if you let them, and thats priceless
Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
All I saw was a bunch of traffic, and a couple of sweepers... Oh yeah, and the windscreen of a Uly. Wow.

Sorry, but can I have the 30 seconds of my fast forwarding through that video back?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Matchanu
Studly Adventurer

Why don't you dicks keep your bullshit in JM were it belongs.

Seriously, what the fuck.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #14
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,040
Would have been more enjoyable if you had not tried to make a point of comparing the two brands.
Music sucked; you need to be able to hear the engine "music" IMHO.
The camera angle (mounted behind the windshield, with the bar in the way) was distracting.
Looked like fun, nevertheless.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #15
Bryn1203 OP
Dances with spaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama
Would have been more enjoyable if you had not tried to make a point of comparing the two brands.
Music sucked; you need to be able to hear the engine "music" IMHO.
The camera angle (mounted behind the windshield, with the bar in the way) was distracting.
Looked like fun, nevertheless.
Hi yamalama
The vid was not a comparison of bikes not brands & how can you not compare two bikes when riding together? I had almost exactly the same run with a friend on his Ducati 1198.
Music choice is of course subjective - the sound otherwise was just wind - I have a microphone sorted for next time.
Camera angle - yes I know - working on it.
cheers