Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,339
I wouldn't think the HD Sportster would have a strong enough nor low enough tranny for anything serious off roading. If you put a bigger sprocket on the back it would kill the highway use of it and any fuel milage.

Ridden so many bikes I lost count ! ! !
bigdave-gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,103
Does this bike look serious for anything? If I wanted something serious it would be from Japan. As for road biking, my FJR1300 is plenty fast and gets 45+ MPG. The Harley is just a stupid toy.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #18
RocketDog
Rocket Dog

Oddometer: 70
Fire Road Burner

Pretty cool, I am likin it except for the handlebars. I thinkin a set of Renthals or protapers would set it off!
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Yeah man, you should sell that Harley and get a 650 Vstrom. Ugly bikes are way more capable!

Murf2
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #20
J. Thompson #5150
300-pound Gorilla

Oddometer: 213
I gotta say, I'm kind of intrigued by this little project. Looks like it'd be a blast to take out on country roads.
J. Thompson #5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #21
Wyvern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
just a quick thought on tires. if you stay with your rims and limited tires. get a tire groover... use it on my rock crawler and also the Michelin Anakee to make them knobbies.
here is the tool and I will take some shots of the tires, 10 15 min per tire and you can do some creative stuff

this is shown without the blade ... it clamps in the front,

here is some stuff you cab do on crawler tires

Here is the Anakee on mt Elefant just after I grooved it

Same pattern on the rear and you would be amazesd how much better they work off road.
I also do a double cut on the Anakee

Wyvern screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 09:23 PM
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #22
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

I'll give you guys a ride report on it after this event on Sept. 26.:

www.waynecountymc.com
I'm planning on transferring the plates off my 1984 500 Interceptor to this boat anchor in a week.
I'm not sure how much further I'll go with it. As of now, everything that I've done is bolt on only. It would take a day for someone to turn it back from a crappy dirt bike to a crappy road bike. The biggest PIA would be to remove the swingarm pivot drop bracket I fabbed up.
I didn't change the bars because they have internal wiring and are a larger diameter than Japanese stuff. I could always swap out the handlebar clamps, but if I really wanted to I'd take the time to graft a YZ490 front end that I have onto it. Right now only the pegs from the 490 have made it onto the AntiHarley. Again, I'll decide it's fate after the dualsport ride on the 26th.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Subscribed to this thread. I just got a 99 1200 about a month and a half ago with the intensions of doing a scrambler version, ie something not so high, cause I dont get crazy with the cheese whiz enough off road to warrant a monster machine!

Let us know how she does, good or bad. They are fun bikes!

BTW, what are you using for a front?

beardothebeardo screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 12:56 PM
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo

BTW, what are you using for a front?
You got me. I have a YZ490 front end, but it's going to take some serious work to make the headstock bearings fit, brakes fit, wheel spacers, but even more so handlebars and wiring. HD has thicker bars and the handlebar controls won't bolt right up. As I may have said in an earlier post, this is the Alpha test. In this test I cheated big time and bought some NOS 6" over upper chopper legs. It still only has stock travel. I'm pretty sure that the bike will be lower next year. It's too tall to feel comfortable off road with. I'm getting used to it but will make a bunch of changes over winter. Hell, if it really sucks next Sunday I might turn it into a street tracker over the winter.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
You got me. I have a YZ490 front end, but it's going to take some serious work to make the headstock bearings fit, brakes fit, wheel spacers, but even more so handlebars and wiring. HD has thicker bars and the handlebar controls won't bolt right up. As I may have said in an earlier post, this is the Alpha test. In this test I cheated big time and bought some NOS 6" over upper chopper legs. It still only has stock travel. I'm pretty sure that the bike will be lower next year. It's too tall to feel comfortable off road with. I'm getting used to it but will make a bunch of changes over winter. Hell, if it really sucks next Sunday I might turn it into a street tracker over the winter.
My bad, I meant what tire are you using up front, right now.

BTW, head stem bearings should be easy. Just need to know the in and out diameter. Oh, and if you want to use your stock switch housings and bars, simply hog out the area were its 7/8" to 1". Very easy.

Thats why I love these bikes. Easy to modify!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

It's a Bridgestone TrailWing up front. It kind of matches the back Duro.
As for the headset bearings- not so easy. I need to get the center stem out of the lower triple clamp and machine about 0.015 off the bottom diameter, then I have to shorten it to match the headstock of the HD (fine thread metric too). Then I have to put new stops on the lower triple tree so the forks don't hit the tank. After that I have to figure out which brakes to use and probably machine new, safe mounts for the dual HD calipers to fit the Yamaha forks. Remember that they have to have exact spacing to match the distance between the rotors. The only easy part is opening up the bar clamps to accommodate the HD bars.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #27
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
It's a Bridgestone TrailWing up front. It kind of matches the back Duro.
As for the headset bearings- not so easy. I need to get the center stem out of the lower triple clamp and machine about 0.015 off the bottom diameter, then I have to shorten it to match the headstock of the HD (fine thread metric too). Then I have to put new stops on the lower triple tree so the forks don't hit the tank. After that I have to figure out which brakes to use and probably machine new, safe mounts for the dual HD calipers to fit the Yamaha forks. Remember that they have to have exact spacing to match the distance between the rotors. The only easy part is opening up the bar clamps to accommodate the HD bars.
LOL ok, let me rephrase, easy to do if you have e
access to a lathe. I did a custom set-up on an old lowrider I had, cause I simply had to have fatboy wheels on it.Yup, I familiar with the process, from stem, to stops, to wheels spacers. Personally, if you are going through the pains of changing just part of the front end, I would go the whole way of using the trees, forks, wheel and brake off the MXer. Then its just stems and stops. Plus you get better components. My .02.

As for me, Im just going to do a simple version. Im short and want to be able to reach the ground!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #28
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Had it in the mud today

No doubt that it's not my KLX250.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #29
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Another shot

I rode about 25 road miles and 2 dirt miles. Lots of rain recently, so the ground was slick. The tires packed up pretty good, but I didn't fall over.
I bet people who heard it thought that someone had a Farmall back in the woods.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #30
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Jealous

I started getting the crazy idea to build a Sportster into a Baja bike a few years ago while working at a Harley dealership. I still want to do it and seeing these dual sport Harleys pop up every couple of years or so gives me hope. Keep it going!
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote