Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #31
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,108
Do It! This project only took a month and that included tearing the engine down to bare cases. As I said earlier, this is just the first phase. I'm not ever going into big bucks, but there will be improvements over our long winter. I can't imagine trying to do this in one shot. I've ridden it a few miles around our property and just put it on the road today. I'm sure that I'll have a laundry list of things to change by the time it snows here.
Another nice thing about this project is that nothing has been permanently altered. This bike could be brought 100% back to stock in one long day. Now that's Dual Sport.
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #32
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
There are a lot of engineering challenges, if you don't want a broken frame but do want a bike that will go coast to coast or trample the length of the TAT.

This is a great Alpha tester.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #33
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

This bike is for simple trail riding. Not a ton of engineering here. A simple swingarm drop bracket was the extent of any real thought going into it. I can't imagine anything more than light use with something so heavy. When it was apart I weighed the damn iron engine. It weighs over 200 pounds! My long distance 2 wheeling is on my FJR1300. My more serious dirt bike days are behind me and if they weren't something like a KTM450EXCR would be my choice.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #34
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
LOL Kraven, you crack me up bro. I read your entire thread about wanting to build a DS. He and others have done it. There is no engineering challenges, just brain challenges. I can't wait to get my 18" rear so I can mount some REAL knobbies. Should have mine next week, and then its ON.

All I have to say is, if Dave Barr can do it, then so can I!!! Woohoo!!!
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #35
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Beardo, My buddy called me 6 weeks ago and told me about this Sportster he found on the Carlisle Craigslist. It spit the primary chain tensioner out the bottom of the case. I told Dan to go buy it for me. About 10 days later I drove there, handed Dan the $1400 he paid, had a couple Bradors with him, and went home. About 5 days later I took it all apart (I mean bike and complete engine), milled out the 2x3 inch hole in the case, milled out a diamond plate patch, had my friend heliarc it, waited a week for pistons, gaskets,longer chain, exhaust guides,... Next week it got bored, I did the heads, I designed and built a simple swing arm pivot drop, ordered a few odds and ends. Two weeks ago I stated putting it back together. Last week I used the bucket from my 40 HP tractor to bend up the skid plate. This entire deal cost me way under $2300, probably more like $2100. I also don't understand all the talk. This was just simple-stupid. It's not like I'm trying to build something better than what can be purchased. I'll find the youtube video that a local guy made up about it and post it up.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #36
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Here's a little of the build:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs7v9...&feature=email
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 AM   #37
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

MOG, you and I think on the same level. I can appreciate that. I love the 'Just F@ckin Do It' attitude. If it breaks or doesnt perform the way you want, then fix it or go another way. Besides, trial and error is more fun!

I can honestly say that is the first time I have seen someone use diamond plate to patch cases on an HD. Pretty clever. I have never welded aluminum before cause I havent really needed to. Im young yet, so timing could be everything!

Thanks for sharing the video. Looks like you ended up with a nice little scrambler!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #38
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

"Just Do It" is right. Why spend a year thinking about something? I've gone through 8 bikes in that time.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #39
tyeoneon01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

www.ushighland.com

this is the dual sport i want. US Highland 950 Desert Crosser 100+ hp 282 lbs!
Built to order!
tyeoneon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #40
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeoneon01
www.ushighland.com

this is the dual sport i want. US Highland 950 Desert Crosser 100+ hp 282 lbs!
Built to order!
Wow, I never heard of them before. They sure look impressive. I hope it works out well for a US company. I'll send that link to a few friends.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #41
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Very impressive indeed, but nothing is more frustrating than shopping for a product and not knowing how much it is.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #42
MrHaun
Reformed Pig Jockey

Oddometer: 11
I love this thread. Nice project!

Do you have any plans to try and cut the weight down anymore? Fenders and oil tank look like weight culprits to me as well as the wheels.

I know this is more of a quick and cheap project for you but I would think you could get rid of that rear fender, put some plastic from something like an orange traffic barrel back there and forget about it.

2008 V Strom DL650 | 2000 HD 883 XLH - Sold
MrHaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #43
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

No weight reduction plans for this bike. Right now it can be returned to stock in a day. I don't want to get into it too much more. It seems that every part that I had off it weighed 3 times what I would have guessed. Harley must never have tthought about weight savings on any part. Let's see how I feel after next weekend's 120 mile dualsport event. I'll probably just want to sell it after it beats me half to death.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #44
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

LOL beat you half to death, but I bet you'll come back for more, out of shear joy.....or spite!
Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #45
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

The guy who did the youtube video plans on riding his FJR out to the dualsport ride to try and document a bit of the insanity. Hopefully there won't be any ambulances or medivac copters.
Stay tuned!