Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Emergency Advice Needed! Front End Problem?

I am supposed to be leaving for a 3000 mile, 10 day trip in 10 hours. My bike has developed a front end shake in the last 2 weeks, but it is pretty pronounced now.

I searched and tried a few things to fix it:

1. Head bearing adjustment
2. Tire pressure
3. Adjusted the preload with gear on
4. Took gear off and reset preload

None of these things cured the problem. The shake isnt so bad i cant ride the bike. But this thing has 5k miles on it, what possibly would the problem be??

So any other ideas I can do here? I can roll up to the dealer fully loaded tomorrow and beg for help so i can stick to the schedule or should i just go on the trip?

I am pretty stressed as this is my first big trip, I would appreciate any help.

-Jon

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Is the front tire worn funny?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The wear path seems to be ok.

The tires themselves are the Pirelli Scorpion Trail Tires that came on the bike. One thing i have noticed is there seems to be some cracks (ie dryrotting) in the lug grooves.

I boosted the PSI to 42 and reduced the preload with the bike empty. This seemed to have helped with the wobble.

Then i took it for a spin with the luggage on. Once again, bad wobble.

The top of the fork tubes also rest on the top of the fork clamp. I read there should be something like 7mm of exposed tube. Should I lower the forks in the clamps maybe?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJZJ
The wear path seems to be ok.

The tires themselves are the Pirelli Scorpion Trail Tires that came on the bike. One thing i have noticed is there seems to be some cracks (ie dryrotting) in the lug grooves.

I boosted the PSI to 42 and reduced the preload with the bike empty. This seemed to have helped with the wobble.

Then i took it for a spin with the luggage on. Once again, bad wobble.

The top of the fork tubes also rest on the top of the fork clamp. I read there should be something like 7mm of exposed tube. Should I lower the forks in the clamps maybe?
You reduced the springload? let's crank up the preload, and let's try RAISING the forks (or lower the top triple) to about 5mm. I have NO idea what it should be...I saw your post and it said emergency.

Try this and see what it does unloaded and then loaded. Send me a PM. I can help you set it up if you need more help.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Check PM.

Sorry about the emergency part, but i have been planning this trip for 4 months and im a little freaked this happens the night before I have to go.

i should revise it to "urgent" perhaps

Old 08-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
GoFar
My butt hurts.

Quote:
Check PM.

Sorry about the emergency part, but i have been planning this trip for 4 months and im a little freaked this happens the night before I have to go.

i should revise it to "urgent" perhaps
Nah...any trip that might get screwed up because of a mechanical is an emergency in my book!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
You didn't mention tire balance. Since it is now an emergency, I'd replace the front tire (includes balance of course) with a Mefo or Heideneau.

Good Luck. These things happen, since it's a long trip, you are all set to replace your own tires and tubes anyway. All you need to buy is a tire. Right?
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I just want to give mad props to GoFar. He just spent 25 minutes on the phone talking shop with me. He helped me set up my suspension and it feels awesome now.

Buutttt, the wobble is still there. The more I think about it, the more I think it might be the front tire. The pirelli scorpion trail tire that is on there has cracks between the lugs and I think when they are separating, the are heaving and creating a bad contact pattern. I think this is why i can ride it out under acceleration, but not when it is decelerating at 40 mph.

I enclosed some pictures of the front tire. Does my theory make sense at all and has anyone seen anything like this before? Will BMW warranty the tire at all or no?

But most importantly, big thanks to GoFar. I really appreciate his time and help. Totally classy guy.

Pics:

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Get the tire changed at the dealer. Have them check the bearings, and whether the rim is bent? New tire, with balance, if this is not the problem, the bike should still be under warranty right, get your dealer on it. Do not risk your life on a Fuc$ed bike. Your trip can wait, so can your friends, make up the time later, or shorten the trip. If you don't find the problem all you will do is worry and your ride will suck anyway besides the risk of a crash.

My 2 cents

Good luck and ride safe
Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 AM   #10
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
42psi? i think is too much, maybe is not enough contact with the ground, try 30 front 34 rear,.
sometimes when bike is loaded, because aerodynamics are not even on both sides because the shape of your load this can produce vibrations.
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #11
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911
Get the tire changed at the dealer. Have them check the bearings, and whether the rim is bent? New tire, with balance, if this is not the problem, the bike should still be under warranty right, get your dealer on it. Do not risk your life on a Fuc$ed bike. Your trip can wait, so can your friends, make up the time later, or shorten the trip. If you don't find the problem all you will do is worry and your ride will suck anyway besides the risk of a crash.

My 2 cents

Good luck and ride safe
I hear ya man, Motorcycling is supposed to be my Zen place, so if I go and dont get this fixed, I will be so worried that the trip will be a waste. I am running the bike to the dealer this morning to see what I can find out. I have accepted that I will shorten the trip if I can resolve this and get my peace of mind back

Also, ill try bringing the PSI back down in the range of stock. I originally though an unbalanced load would cause the wobbling, but when i ran it without cases, that nixed that idea.

Ill keep this post updated.

Thanks so far everyone.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #12
rchrds
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
I have the same problem with the same tire. I just rode 9000 miles in 7 weeks, and it was very annoying. If you watch it long enough, standing, peering over the nose, I have noticed that my front tire seems to runout to either side, or in other words, have a side to side wobble. The tire balanced perfectly with weights and wobbled- removed the weights and put dyno beads in and wobbled. I'm sure it is the tire having some sort of manufactured defect in side to side balance. Sigh.

BTW, also a 2010 F800.
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 AM   #13
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yah I think I can see the same thing. If my eyes follow one of the groove lines to the outside of the tire, I get the same impression that there will be a side to side wobble.

Any thoughts if BMW will warranty this if its a tire problem?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #14
GoFar
My butt hurts.

DAMMIT!!!! I thought we had you fixed up...

Hopefully you've got some handles now, but you certainly have some tire challenges. It's only guess, but the overinlation may have caused that cracking condition...or you just got a bad tire.

One last thing we didn't talk about last night; your head bearings are likely a smidge loose. Don't know if they're tappered or not, but they do loosen up after a while and need to be snicked down a little.

I'm sorry! I was hoping we had solved it for you.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #15
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Same thing happened to me.....

Quote:
I just want to give mad props to GoFar. He just spent 25 minutes on the phone talking shop with me. He helped me set up my suspension and it feels awesome now.

Buutttt, the wobble is still there. The more I think about it, the more I think it might be the front tire. The pirelli scorpion trail tire that is on there has cracks between the lugs and I think when they are separating, the are heaving and creating a bad contact pattern. I think this is why i can ride it out under acceleration, but not when it is decelerating at 40 mph.

I enclosed some pictures of the front tire. Does my theory make sense at all and has anyone seen anything like this before? Will BMW warranty the tire at all or no?

But most importantly, big thanks to GoFar. I really appreciate his time and help. Totally classy guy.

Pics:

Same thing happened to me before my Blue Ridge Pkwy and Smokey Mountain trip. I was only recently able to tame the wobble, it didn't effect my trip to bad, I mean I was worried at some times in the twisty's but it didn't effect grip. I was in straight down pours to.

What I ended up doing was lowering front suspension to 10mm, stock is supposed to be 7mm. Mine was actually flush with cap, gee thanks dealership. next after reading thru forums I found that my Tourances were notorious for wobble at about 35-40mph, that is their resonant frequency I guess. So I lower the front tire pressure to about 30-31 psi and it seems to help. When loaded I only had them at 33-34 psi and that seemed to help also. Your tread pattern looks similar so try that. One suggestion from an ADV rider was to put Anakee up front and keep Tourance for rear.

Hope this helps.