Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
rchrds
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJZJ
Yah I think I can see the same thing. If my eyes follow one of the groove lines to the outside of the tire, I get the same impression that there will be a side to side wobble.

Any thoughts if BMW will warranty this if its a tire problem?
I would be interested to find out, but I doubt I have a leg to stand on- I have changed the tire back and forth from my knobbies so many times that I very well could have done something to it- hard to prove it was screwed up to begin with.
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
rchrds
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W
What I ended up doing was lowering front suspension to 10mm, stock is supposed to be 7mm. Mine was actually flush with cap, gee thanks dealership.
Hope this helps.
Matt, I'm new to the motorcycle thing- could you post a picture of where you are talking about here? I would like to check mine for this.

Thanks!
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrds
Matt, I'm new to the motorcycle thing- could you post a picture of where you are talking about here? I would like to check mine for this.

Thanks!
Posted it here, someone else asked same question, hope this helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609900
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I think this is what he means. If you look down on your forks, at the very top is an aluminium nut sitting on top of a circular plate. Just below that should be a very small space between the head and the fork themselves. It's easy to see because the colour you will see is the same as the forks themselves i.e. a copper colour. I have just measured the space on mine (a fairly new bike) and the distance between this circular plate and the head is 3mm. In the diagram that Matt W linked to it's the space between the dark colour plate and the light coloured clamp beneath it although, in reality, they are the same colour on your bike. I have Anakee tyres (again almost new) and have suffered no problems with steering or wobble.

AlanI screwed with this post 08-13-2010 at 10:12 AM
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
Tradey
RTW Traveller

Oddometer: 224
Faulty Rim And Tyre

I have a major front end wobble as well, from 30-50mph it goes up and down and it's been like that since I rode it out of the dealer. I thought it was the roads here in Las Vegas. I reported it at the first, second and third services and all the BMW dealers were very skeptical I could claim it under warranty.

Apart from the faulty tyre which I have since replaced, I have discovered a buckled rim and surprisingly it's exactly on the rim weld and surprisingly there is also a white paint dot which I wonder indicates a quality control marker ?

I am now so tired of the dreadful poor BMW service response on this issue that I have drafted a letter to BMW USA with all my facts and photos. My American attorney is currently reviewing it and it will be off within a week.

Either the dealer swapped the rim on me or there is a batch of faulty rims in circulation and by the sounds of it I am not the only one with the same issue.

The rim serial number on mine is: PB74615.

If you have a similar problem please get in contact with me.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Seems like the same thing

Here is a thread I posted in http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609447 Both threads seem to be talking about the same thing. It doesn't get me any closer but with more minds on it-Who knows!
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #22
JJJZJ OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Hey everybody! I just wanted to report back. I went ahead and rode the bike on the trip. 10 days, 2700 miles and 9 states.

The morning before i left, I went and took the bike to the dealer. The head tech there assured me that the tires were worn and needed to be replaced. He told me this is what caused the wobble and even said the wear path on the rear could affect the front end. But he told me to go ahead with the trip and not worry about it. So i did.

This is how I set up the bike: 7mm exposed tube on the front forks. Preload cranked all the way up and the rebound set a half turn from the tough side. I also then inflated the PSI to 36 front and 42 rear. I rode the crap out of the tires all over the twisties of TN and the east coast. The wobble is still there, but it did not ruin the trip. I will update once i get some new tires on the bike.

I am still not convinced that the problem is worn tires, but time will tell as I play around with the bike. I will be sure to update.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Pics: http://jjjzj.smugmug.com/
JJJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #23
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJZJ
Hey everybody! I just wanted to report back. I went ahead and rode the bike on the trip. 10 days, 2700 miles and 9 states.

The morning before i left, I went and took the bike to the dealer. The head tech there assured me that the tires were worn and needed to be replaced. He told me this is what caused the wobble and even said the wear path on the rear could affect the front end. But he told me to go ahead with the trip and not worry about it. So i did.

This is how I set up the bike: 7mm exposed tube on the front forks. Preload cranked all the way up and the rebound set a half turn from the tough side. I also then inflated the PSI to 36 front and 42 rear. I rode the crap out of the tires all over the twisties of TN and the east coast. The wobble is still there, but it did not ruin the trip. I will update once i get some new tires on the bike.

I am still not convinced that the problem is worn tires, but time will tell as I play around with the bike. I will be sure to update.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Dude.... I would hope you life is worth more than the 400 bucks to have the dealer slap on new tires...

I just got back from a long trip and I have some very strange front end tire wobble... I had installed the knobby front tire just a couple days before we left for the dirt tracks in Colorado and I had balanced it on my static balance rig. The tire fells fine at 15mph+ and feels good even at 80mph.

The problem is when I get down to 10mph or especially 5mph, it feels like there is a lead weight on one spot. I didn't pay attention to it since we were riding dirt but when I got home I wanted to check my front rim since we had hit a ton of huge rocks.

On first inspection of the front tire/rim I was completely shocked!!!!!!! It looked like there was a HUGE warp in the setup when I spun the tire on the balancer. But then I looked again and focused my eye on the rim, a little warped here and there but looked good. The actual TIRE had a huge low spot where it looks like it came out of the mold wrong and hardened in a warped position. The tire was actually balanced so at higher speeds I didn't notice the warp but at low speeds it was terrible.

I'm thinking of sending the tire back to the manufacturer and demanding a new set since it is obviously faulty... I am going to keep an eye out for this in the future.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote