User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Smallwires OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
ADV Riders in/ around Gore?

Interested in what it's like living in Gore as I have opportunity to come and stay a spell. Other than what I've read on the interwebs and what I know from Kiwi friends whom are more the climber/ skier variety rather than the motorbike type I know very little.

The inside scoop and brutal honesty would be much appreciated, thanks in advance...

Cheers!
Smallwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
People from Gore are the most balanced dudes you will meet . They have a chip on both shoulders.

On a serious vein , I spent some months in Mataura just south of Gore. It's what you make of it, winters are bitter, people are nice , bugger all to do in terms of night life, if you like the outdoors you will like it, if you want opera forget it.

It's Burt Munro country https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...91427555,d.dGc

I worked in Mataura about 10 years ago , went back this Easter & nothing had changed. Is that a bad thing ??
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
Smallwires OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

I was told Gore is the "country" capital of New Zealand beyond that and the fact it was once infamous for moonshining as I said I know very little

I did some google earth sleuthing and while as you pointed out, it's no bustling metropolis, it's pretty outstanding right out of town, if you like wide open spaces of course and I do.

Looking at driving/ riding distances, it doesn't seem that Queenstown et al is that far off..? Some nice country in between and to the coast near Dunedin.

The weather has got be only slightly concerned, can't imagine it's much different/ worse than Seattle, where I currently reside.

Funny you should mention Mr Munro, I do hear there is an annual festival of speed in his honour some time in November.

So am I daft? Do want to come visit...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 1,580
Haha I guess it says a lot about who I am (a hairy polar bear who loves country music and lots of big scenery ), but I have seriously considered moving down there as I quite like it.

Otago to the north, Catlins to the south east, Southland to the west and the Burt down Invercargill.
Theres a hell of a lot of awesome adventure riding in those surrounding areas.
Te Hopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:16 AM   #5
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,718
Everyone refers to the surrounding areas but not Gore itself. Not sure if i've been there but I have never heard of anyone wanting to shift there for the town itself. Everyone I've talked to that has shifted up here from there would never go back. The cold cold winters are usually the reason for that.
As with all NZ towns find the job first then decide.

Gotta say the Caitlins are awesome
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #6
Smallwires OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, that's the thing, got the job question is do I take it? I know the move wouldn't be for the social calendar, but other attributes...
Old 04-23-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
wairau
richie

Oddometer: 1,424
its pretty bleak in winter mate but anywhere in the south island is good when you have a few days off with a bike. doesnt matter much where your ride starts.

come have a look i reckon. who knows, you might find a kiwi lass or 2 to keep you company and maybe a story and a coupla pics for your grandkids when you get old.

oh, and school ya self on rugby so you've something to talk about down the pub
wairau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wairau View Post
its pretty bleak in winter mate but anywhere in the south island is good when you have a few days off with a bike. doesnt matter much where your ride starts.
x2 While Gore might not be top of the list of NZ tourist destinations it's not far from lots of interesting places. If you're into a bit of skiing or snowboarding the winters won't seem so bad as you're only a couple of hrs away from some good snow.

There are quite a few motorcycling events on through the year down that way as well as the Burt, the Brass Monkey Rally, Bannockburn Bike week, various other rallies all within easy weekend range.

If you've got a job lined up, like the outdoors & are keen to visit & explore NZ I'd say it's a no brainer.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:02 AM   #9
XF650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I worked on a farm near Tapanui in my youth. Had a XL250 Motosport, so on my days off I rode the forestry roads in the Hokanui Hills (Moonshine country) & up the Blue Mountains (dodging deer) - all great adv riding & very close to Gore. Not sure what m/bike access in those parts is like these days though.

Gore got hit bad by Rogernomics in the 1980's. Rumour was their Main Street rents were as high as Auckland prior to the recession. However the district recovered well & is now riding on the Dairy boom.

Matarua is a time warp (incl cheap housing) but it's still a great place for a honeymoon, simply because there's nothing else to do!
XF650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #10
Smallwires OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanky kindly for the insight thus far! The cheeky bastards in my own regional forum have been giving me grief, pointing out that the vehicles I'm unloading would be "perfect" for NZ... As if I didn't already know that. Bloody bastards...

Cage:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=9368

Bike:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=9370
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #11
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 1,157
The only cars that are acceptable in Gore are, Valiant Chargers, Valiant Rangers, and Valiant Regals, or the most common model, a combination of all three.
innathyzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #12
Smallwires OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like I should save myself the trouble, stay in the States and work on the rez... By chance do those Valiants only go in reverse..?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 AM   #13
glitch_oz

Oddometer: 1,805
Absolutely LOVE the South.

Great memories of places and rides.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798
(about 1/3 down the first post for the Southern Scenic, The Catlins and the southern coast towards Balclutha.

http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798

Pounawea

De Havilland Aircraft Restoration at Mandeville, just north of Gore.
Incredible stuff, all hand-built. Get there when they have a flight-day on...and check out the workshops.
Count on spending a full day even if you're not into flying/ planes at all.

Post #177 onwards here
http://www.austouring.com/forum/show...t=3990&page=36

Lots and lots of other great stuff around the South

Can't wait to get back there for another look next year.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #14
Mathias52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Im in the Gore area, give me a yell when your around. I just spent the weekend on the bike up queenstown way, got flooded into Kinloch which is further round the lake from Qtown, depending on what kinda riding your looking for there are different options, on the pavement, Thru the Catlins, devils staircase around lake wakatipu. Off road, into the South arm of lake Manapouri, the nevis valley, skippers canyon,

Gore isn't a bad lil town. Its pretty well serviced for a town of 10,000 people, probably had a bad wrap a few years back but it is a town on the increase.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
glitch_oz

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias52 View Post
Im in the Gore area, give me a yell when your around. I just spent the weekend on the bike up queenstown way, got flooded into Kinloch which is further round the lake from Qtown, depending on what kinda riding your looking for there are different options, on the pavement, Thru the Catlins, devils staircase around lake wakatipu. Off road, into the South arm of lake Manapouri, the nevis valley, skippers canyon,

Gore isn't a bad lil town. Its pretty well serviced for a town of 10,000 people, probably had a bad wrap a few years back but it is a town on the increase.

How's the Greenstone Station Rd. (south from Kinloch) nowadays?
Last time I was there they were doing a heap of work on it...bit of a shame, but what a gorgeous place it is, slobber.
March next year it is... and mainly gravel.
Planning on 5 days in the South.

www.AusTouring.com
A Dozen Years Of Adventures
glitch_oz is offline   Reply With Quote