Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #166
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Alloy!

You wuss!

I used 10mm steel for my footpeg lowering bits.

About 3 hours to make each one
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #167
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT
But wisdom of hindsight, if I was starting this again, then I'd probably go with 22mm rather than fat bars. For a start they're cheaper. And plenty strong enough. When Paladin broke his back, he bent the bar mounts etc, but the bars were still straight. They were Sunlines. Fairly big impact. Then there is less issues with fitting kits for barkbusters, risers etc, and they present a better surface for mounting other accessories. Fat bars look cooler, and are likely stronger, but I don't intend motocrossing the bike .
Fat bars also have the advantage of no crossbar.
I don't like crossbars.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #168
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRSNUT
Agree with Tony. Long term the stronger bars will be a worthwhile investment.. But wisdom of hindsight, if I was starting this again, then I'd probably go with 22mm rather than fat bars. For a start they're cheaper. And plenty strong enough. When Paladin broke his back, he bent the bar mounts etc, but the bars were still straight. They were Sunlines. Fairly big impact. Then there is less issues with fitting kits for barkbusters, risers etc, and they present a better surface for mounting other accessories. Fat bars look cooler, and are likely stronger, but I don't intend motocrossing the bike .
I just put a set of sunline AV 7/8" cr hi bend bars on the klr and I still found it a squeeze fitting everything back on.

Bars are a definite improvement both standing and sitting - $90 from cycletreads. vibration is markedly less which is an unexpected bonus.

hopefully I will never test them llke Pallidin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy
Fat bars also have the advantage of no crossbar.
I don't like crossbars.
you wouldn't want to be the resident fat bar fitter and be called Ted now would you...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #169
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S

you wouldn't want to be the resident fat bar fitter and be called Ted now would you...
Ok you got me with that one - WTF???
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #170
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei
Ok you got me with that one - WTF???
Fat Bars Ted

Nordie would have got it
Old 11-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #171
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Still not sure about if I like riding it. I really need some new tyres & to do something with the shocks. Also I need to make the seat higher & lower the pegs.

I like the lower centre of gravity but am hesitant to go too fast around gravel corners (ie really nana it) as I feel it is easy to overcook it. I guess more ridetime will help.
I thought it was pretty damn sweet on the gravel. I can see why they make great gravel tourers.

Not so good in the rough - that's KTM's forte - but bloody marvelous on a good gravel road. Draught horse vs Thoroughbred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Draught horse

A draft horse (US), draught horse (UK) or dray horse (from the Anglo-Saxon dragan meaning to draw or haul; compare Dutch dragen meaning to carry), less often called a heavy horse, is a large horse bred for hard, heavy tasks such as ploughing and farm labour. There are a number of different breeds, with varying characteristics but all share common traits of strength, patience and a docile temperament which made them indispensable to generations of pre-industrial farmers.
While most draft horses are used for driving, they can be ridden and some of the lighter draft breeds are capable performers under saddle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseGEEK
Is a Thoroughbred a Good Riding Horse?

The Thoroughbred horse breed is one of the most prized breeds in the world. Thoroughbreds are particularly famous for their skill on the racetrack, but they are also used for a variety of other equestrian events. ... However, for casual and trail riding, a Thoroughbred may not be the best choice.

The primary focus of Thoroughbred breeding is on creating racehorses. A racehorse is bred for speed and agility, and these traits also translate well into other horse sports. ...

The traits which make a Thoroughbred valuable on the track are not desired for all riders. The horses have a reputation for being difficult to handle, so they should not be ridden by inexperienced and very young riders. They also require a lot of work, since Thoroughbreds get impatient and bored if they are not exercised. The long legs of the horse are also easy to damage, and many people prefer to keep Thoroughbred horses stabled when they are not being exercised, which means much more work on the part of the owner. A Thoroughbred is also not bred for extended endurance, making it less suitable for trail riding and endurance riding.

However, if you are looking for a high quality competition horse which will meet any challenge you present, a Thoroughbred is well worth considering. ...
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #172
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
i dont feel the need to lower the pegs but the bars need to come up for sure. I guess if the pegs go down the bars dont need to come up so much
Old 11-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #173
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Mine didn't "fit" properly when I first got it. Had some fatbars with a really low rise.

I fitted some Rox risers (3.5" I think) and some higher rise bars and it made a world of difference.

I get the feeling I could set them back further again, but for now it's pretty good. Makes a hell of a difference to riding style also.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #174
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,568
Yeah IMHO I think I need more ride time & some tyres I can trust - it's more me than the bike. I rode on Jatz' BIG the other week & although I wasn't used to it, with the brand new tyres & almost perfect ergos for me, it felt really easy to ride - however it also was very similar to the KLR- tall & narrow (relatively).

I think that sitting down I still feel kinda cramped up so will work on that aspect.

Marks I only just got the Fat Bastard joke - I must be off.

WW thanks for reminding us again that KTM are the bikes they ride in Heaven & the rest of us are sinners
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #175
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer?
i dont feel the need to lower the pegs but the bars need to come up for sure. I guess if the pegs go down the bars dont need to come up so much
I found lowering pegs to be a major comfort improver on the klr - way moreso than raising the bars.

it makes the seat seem more comfy because your bum is less pointy with your legs going more forwards rather than up and forwards.

it is a bitch in the twisties when your feet keep getting knocked off the pegs though

Quote:

WW thanks for reminding us again that KTM are the bikes they ride in Heaven & the rest of us are sinners
hmmm

3 ktms on a ride of 9 bikes
640 breaks $450 clutch perch despite genuine ktm bark busters
690 cuts out at over 2000rpm
950 runs on single pot below 3000rpm and doesn't have the electrical balls to run the grip heaters while pottering around off road

I had nice toasty warm hands all day on my sinners bike
Old 11-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #176
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Quote:
I had nice toasty warm hands all day on my sinners bike
Even when it was "resting" in the creek?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #177
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
3 ktms on a ride of 9 bikes
640 breaks $450 clutch perch despite genuine ktm bark busters
690 cuts out at over 2000rpm
950 runs on single pot below 3000rpm and doesn't have the electrical balls to run the grip heaters while pottering around off road
The 950 may have had the balls to run the heaters, I'm a slow bugger so didn't want to risk it and find out the hard way that it didn't.

As for the running on a single pot, that cleared up after we got back on the road and it ran sweet on the run out through the hills and was humming all the way home. I'm guessing it just sucked a bit of crap through on one of the several times it was lying on it's side.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #178
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
I think that sitting down I still feel kinda cramped up so will work on that />
Can I add my 2 cents.....?

perhaps try making the seat a bit higher, I'm not sure dropping the footpegs on a bike with questionable ground clearance is the right move. Also.... (and I know you'll like this) it's probly cheaper to play around with the seat height than droping footpegs.Hell I'll even give you some closed cell foam

Something else..... I noticed with W.wolfs adv...... we're not really in the same ball park height wise, but I found his ride almost perfect when sitting, but standing it was shit house and I could hardly control it.
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #179
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
hmmm
Hmmm... I think you're only reinforcing my point.
The Stable
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #180
warewolf
Tyre critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
perhaps try making the seat a bit higher, I'm not sure dropping the footpegs on a bike with questionable ground clearance is the right move. Also.... (and I know you'll like this) it's probly cheaper to play around with the seat height than droping footpegs.
I thought the same thing. I can understand Nordie doing it - he's that bit taller and needs a bit each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj
Something else..... I noticed with W.wolfs adv...... we're not really in the same ball park height wise, but I found his ride almost perfect when sitting, but standing it was shit house and I could hardly control it.
Interesting that. I felt the Big was brillo when standing, cfm everything else. Odd given our difference in height. Although lever positions weren't great, bars/pegs/frame etc were all good. Still trying to work out why that is. Mine is set up for max control while standing, which compromises the seated control/comfort - for me. It's too stretched out while seated, and the levers are difficult to reach - but hey, you only sit when it's smooth and you have the time to get to the awkward levers, right? Given your taller frame, I can understand things being awkward even when standing.
The Stable